Placing Left and Right speakers on top of subwoofers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Does anyone see a problem with this setup?? In terms of vibrations etc.. I cranked it up with music pretty good and everything seemed pretty solid..

numy4eba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
The primary issue is room modes. Subs look good under mains, and symmetry of placement is pleasing to the eye, but good looks and symmetry seldom give the best result where low frequencies are concerned. Usually modes are best controlled when two subs are placed as far apart as possible. Do a search, there are plenty of sub placement threads.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Does anyone see a problem with this setup?? In terms of vibrations etc.. I cranked it up with music pretty good and everything seemed pretty solid..

numy4eba.jpg

I am using large bookshelf speakers (JBL S38s) and have to put them on top of my PB13 Ultra subs. Never had any issues and I have played countless BIG LFE films over the years. Probably not ideal putting mains on top of subs, but I have not had any issues as far as them falling down or anything.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What you have done is create a floorstander with a powered woofer basically. I see no problem with it at all. In fact it is a very good idea and will help with imaging/balance of the lower end when listening to music.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds great then, thanks for the advice !

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #6 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

What you have done is create a floorstander with a powered woofer basically. I see no problem with it at all. In fact it is a very good idea
Or not. One of the main reasons why floor standers have been supplanted by separate mains and subs is that separates allow the mains to be placed where they work best, and the subs to be placed where they work best. In the vast majority of cases they don't both work best when stacked.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^

Well this is in the main living/tv room. My wife has somehow allowed me to mount a 60" flat screen, have five massive speakers, including two on floating glass shelves for the surrounds, and two 12" subs, and amazingly she's about to give me the go ahead to swap out the 60" for a 70" beauty.. so the subs look good and sound good where they're at now, and they're not going anywhere else.. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't creating a huge problem by setting it up that way.. Sometimes, I guess you just can't get it all

post #8 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
It's fine.

But I would pull all the speakers, particularly that center, as far forward as possible in their respective locations. In other words, to the front edge of whatever they are sitting upon.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #9 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

It's fine.

But I would pull all the speakers, particularly that center, as far forward as possible in their respective locations. In other words, to the front edge of whatever they are sitting upon.

Good point, I'll try that, which means I'll have to run Audyssey again.. lol

post #10 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

What you have done is create a floorstander with a powered woofer basically. I see no problem with it at all. In fact it is a very good idea and will help with imaging/balance of the lower end when listening to music.
One of the primary reasons to use subwoofers and Bass Management is because the positions of the speakers is almost never the optimal placements for bass response. Subs should be placed where they provide the best transfer function of bass to the listening position(s). Placing the subs underneath mains and making a "floorstander with a powered woofer" violates that principle. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but let's not portray a compromised setup as a "very good idea."

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #11 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Quote:

One of the primary reasons to use subwoofers and Bass Management is because the positions of the speakers is almost never the optimal placements for bass response. Subs should be placed where they provide the best transfer function of bass to the listening position(s). Placing the subs underneath mains and making a "floorstander with a powered woofer" violates that principle. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but let's not portray a compromised setup as a "very good idea."

Craig

It sounds damn good the way it's setup now though, including the killer bass. I guess it could always be better, nothing's perfect, but like I said some compromise in regard to equipment placement must be made from my part since this setup is on the ground floor, in the main living/tv room.

post #12 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

It sounds damn good the way it's setup now though, including the killer bass.
Good for you. When I tried putting my subs underneath my speakers, it looked really cool. It measured poorly and it sounded like Schlitz. I moved them to some distributed placements and the measurements improved radically. The sound improved in a similar fashion.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #13 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Good for you. When I tried putting my subs underneath my speakers, it looked really cool. It measured poorly and it sounded like Schlitz. I moved them to some distributed placements and the measurements improved radically. The sound improved in a similar fashion.

Craig

Every room is different. Between my rear sub and my front subs which are right below my mains, I could not ask for better response. Of course it took multiples to get there, but you can certainly get good response with the subs below the mains. Until you run some FR sweeps, you wont know for sure and exactly how your particular room, sub position and seating position all correspond.

In my room, there was no single spot that covered everything well which is why I had to go to multiples.

Having said all that, OP have you experimented with one sub in the rear and one up front? After all my sub shifting, swapping and experimenting, subs in front and rear gave me the best results in my 12x17 sealed room.

post #14 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

EDIT: Double post............damn phone.......or maybe I should say damn user. biggrin.gif

post #15 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Every room is different. Between my rear sub and my front subs which are right below my mains, I could not ask for better response. Of course it took multiples to get there, but you can certainly get good response with the subs below the mains. Until you run some FR sweeps, you wont know for sure and exactly how your particular room, sub position and seating position all correspond.

In my room, there was no single spot that covered everything well which is why I had to go to multiples.

Having said all that, OP have you experimented with one sub in the rear and one up front? After all my sub shifting, swapping and experimenting, subs in front and rear gave me the best results in my 12x17 sealed room.
Agree with everything you said. The "distributed" multiple subs will provide optimal response. I have 2 subs in the front, one between the R and C, and one on the L at 1/5 of the wall length. The 3rd sub is in the rear at 4/5 of the wall length. My seating is at 1/3 of the long dimension. The "system" yields this response:

(This also shows the added response of PGM2 in my Submersive HP amps. PGM2 adds output at the lowest frequencies; hence the rising response at ULF's.)

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #16 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Looks excellent Craig. That is very close to how I have my subs placed as well. What are your room dimensions just out of curiosity?

post #17 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

There isnt really any space in the back (theres the couch and then the wall, and the couch is only 9.5ft away from the screen..). That's why I was hoping everything would work out 'ok' with having them under the mains.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers