Which subwoofer EQ for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I'm looking at a subwoofer PEQ, I know of the Velodyne SMS-1, Anti-Modes, and SVS EQ1. The Antimodes are in my price range, as would a second hand SMS-1

I have two systems

Home Theatre. Lexicon MC-8 V2 with SVS PC Ultra 13 (that has 1 channel PEQ)

Stereo system. Analogue stereo pre-amp SVS SB12+ (again 1 channel PEQ) with standmount speakers. I'm currently sending full range line lievel from the pre-amp, to the subwoofer line level input, which filters that at 80hz (fixed), then line level output from the subwoofer goes into the poweramp. So the poweramps only receive 80hz and up and the subwoofer 80hz and down. Adjusting volume/crossover dials to match (crossover dial is not for the line level in/out filtering, it's another one you can use on the subs cone) that's around 60hz as I generally I find 80hz from the sub a bit high and I probably get room gain from the standmounts anyway as its a small room.

PEQ on the subwoofers are disabled.

The antimode will be used in the HT.

I'm thinking the basic Antimode C model would be sufficient or the HT,however if I wish to move the antimode to the stereo system the stereo jacks would come in handy? Or could I use a Y cable from the pre into the antimode C? . I'm thinking though how would this function with the subwoofer "loop" which is filtering out bass? Would you run the antimode in the stereo system with the poweramps swtched off, so it'll do calibration and won't pick up the sound from the standmounts? And how would the 80hz filter effect the process? The subwoofer has the ability to run full range, so would you set it to full range during the calibration? (I don't think I would, just a question)

I'm not sure if this will work at all. Would it be best if the unit was more of a line level crossover, so it'll do the filtering AND the parametric EQ?

The pre-amp has two sets of pre-outs.

It is £300 though which is pretty expensive however I don't see myself changing the MC-8 for a long time for a new unit which has subwoofer EQ built in.

Reading the anti mode manual it says it has a 10hz sub sonic filter. The SVS also has a sub sonic filter, is this bad having two? On the SVS you can disable it. But can you disable it on the anti-mode? Which is best, filter on the anti-mode or the subwoofer? Also if you use different port tunings, this may be a problem if you can't disable it on the anti-mode? For example if you tune it to 20hz, normally you set the sub sonic filter to 20hz. But if you disable the SVS sub sonic filter because the antimode one is always on and at 10hz, is this much lower sub sonic filter a problem?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Yes you can disable the filter on the antimode. It is called "flat"

The antimode does it own calibrating. What I mean is you leave your avr off while the antimode generates its own sweeps. Then after antimode does its thing you turn on the avr and calibrate the overall level w antimode in the chain

This little unit s magnificent. You can always buy it and if you don't like the results flip it for very little hit to the wallet

Any other questions please ask

Cheers!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/1596161-sadiemax-theater-build-thread.html
post #3 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yeah aware of how you set it up, it's easy to use, unlike a BFD.

I was just wondering how you would use the S-II in a hifi system with low and high level filtering. So I've gone for the 8033 Cinema, for
the home theatre system.

Should I run the calibration with the subwoofer room corrrection set, or disabled? And sub sonic filter?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 15 Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 451
disable everything...you want a pure signal sent from the antimode to the sub for calibration

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/1596161-sadiemax-theater-build-thread.html
post #5 of 15 Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Anti-Mode generates it's own signal, separate from the AVR.

We're currently using the 8033S II. One output connection has one subwoofer plugged in and the other output connection is "Y" connected and has two subs attached.

If worried about AVR influence, unplug the inputs to Anti-Mode.

FWIW, today is a play with the system day which will include running Anti-Mode calibration mode.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm aware the 8033 generates tones, but the subwoofer plate amp has

sub sonic filter. Do I disable this or leave it to what the port plug/tuning recommends?
room compensation. Disable or set to small/medium/large?

I suppose it would be good if the 8033 outputted response, that way I could run response with room compensation on each and see what is best, then decide which to use or to disable it and let 8033.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #7 of 15 Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 AM

Our subs don't have plate Amp subsonic filters so I don't have this conundrum to deal with.

Personally, I'd leave the plate Amp, subsonic filter in the same position it will be in when being used as one wants the most predictable signal going to the EQ measuring device, possible.. If the subwoofer signal is changed post calibration, then one will change the frequency graph accordingly.

My first effort is to unplug all the speakers, do sweeps with Anit-Mode in the off or neutral position so as to gain the best raw measurement possible and then build the subwoofer system from there. I have a totally different graph with the speakers disconnected from the produced sweep tone then with the speakers attached. The graph rolls off like a shield volcano dome without the speaker system attached.

After adjusting the subwoofers settings to achieve the best graph possible, then Anti-Mode calibration is added to the mix. Once Anti-Mode is run, reconnect the speakers (thanks to easy quick connect banana plugs) and run Audyssey or it's AVR provided equivalent. After which, flavor the internal AVR settings (speaker size, crossovers, LFE+Mains, et cetera) accordingly.

Not telling anybody how they should build their final frequency graph as I'm just sharing what we do on our end to get to the best final product; as flat of a +/-3dB graph as humanly possible. This considering the listening room's acoustical conditions that exist at the time.

(Just heard on the local news about Britain's loss of Margaret Thatcher. It was her time and for it, the UK's loss. From America, our condolences.)

-
post #8 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How do you set the default mode upon power up on the 8033? It reverts to sub sonic filter (LED lit with buttom two dim) but I want it to be on flat.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #9 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

How do you set the default mode upon power up on the 8033? It reverts to sub sonic filter (LED lit with buttom two dim) but I want it to be on flat.

Ours is always powered on with two blue lights showing; the power on indicator light and the 25Hz boost indicator light in a constantly on condition. In our case, using the 25Hz boost gives us the best REW room measurement graph.

As to how are the indicator lights set, use the front left micro button to toggle through the lights and if wanting flat, push the left button one time and all boost indicator lights should turn off, achieving a no boost or flat status.

-
post #10 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So it doesn't have a power on default? That is disappointing.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #11 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 AM

It doesn't have an on/off switch so it's always powered on, no default power on position other than what you set.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's not powered always on if it's connected to a multi way mains strip, which is switched off when it's not used.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #13 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

It's not powered always on if it's connected to a multi way mains strip, which is switched off when it's not used.

Yes, that's an option. We had quadplex wall plugs installed so we don't use a plug strip so the Anti-Mode is constantly in a powered on position.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found out you can set power on default, press lift button for a few seconds, that stores that mode as the power on setting,

I pressed bypass button for a few seconds and that started the sweep (for secondary position) Mic wasn't connected and I pressed bypass button again which cancelled it. I assume that won't mess any prior calibration? I don't want average over multiple locations as I only have a primary seating.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #15 of 15 Old 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Thanks.

I know about the store feature but it never made sense what it's purpose was for.

I have so many plugs in the back of the entertainment credenza, I don't try to unplug everything aside from turning the three subs off when shutting down. Everything else is powered down using the on/off button on the remote control. Unless I missed something, aside from unplugging the 8033, I don't see the 8033S II as having on/off capability.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page