Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
layout.bmp

I currently have a Funk Audio 15.0 sealed sub and while I do like it a lot, I really think a dual setup is needed because of my floor plan. Also, ported cabinets seem like they are a better choice again because of the "openess" of the room. I've had my eye on a pair of PSA XV15s, but this would mean selling the 15.0 which could be a tough sell in a small town like mine. A second 15.0 is on the radar, but will result in a greater cost than dual XV15s and potentially less gratifying because of the sealed cabinets. I know I'd be happy with the performance of a dual 15.0 setup, but I would also be curious on what the XV15s could have offered as well.

I always seem to struggle with decisions like these. What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

layout.bmp

I currently have a Funk Audio 15.0 sealed sub and while I do like it a lot, I really think a dual setup is needed because of my floor plan. Also, ported cabinets seem like they are a better choice again because of the "openess" of the room. I've had my eye on a pair of PSA XV15s, but this would mean selling the 15.0 which could be a tough sell in a small town like mine. A second 15.0 is on the radar, but will result in a greater cost than dual XV15s and potentially less gratifying because of the sealed cabinets. I know I'd be happy with the performance of a dual 15.0 setup, but I would also be curious on what the XV15s could have offered as well.

I always seem to struggle with decisions like these. What would you do?

Since you're in BC like myself I would suggest just getting another 15.0 or selling it and go with dual XS30's instead of dual XV15's. I personally think going with dual XV15's would be a lateral move instead of a total upgrade.

Are you close to the border where you could just have PSA ship the subs to a holding warehouse and you could just drive across the border and bring them across yourself so you don't have to pay for cross border shipping?
post #3 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Since you're in BC like myself I would suggest just getting another 15.0 or selling it and go with dual XS30's instead of dual XV15's. I personally think going with dual XV15's would be a lateral move instead of a total upgrade.

Are you close to the border where you could just have PSA ship the subs to a holding warehouse and you could just drive across the border and bring them across yourself so you don't have to pay for cross border shipping?
Why would you choose a sealed cabinet rather than ported for a large open room like mine? Tom even recommended the XV over the XS for my application.

I'm in the Thompson/Okanagan area, but have family around Vancouver so I was planning to pick up the PSA subs from across the border and having a family visit in one trip.

As far as the 30 series PSA models, they are more money than I care to spend.

I do appreciate in the input, thanks.
post #4 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I'd say go ported if you're wanting more output for your area.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #5 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
big open area not ht friendly = ported sub to overcome low to bad room gain to get you the lowest range possible.
small/medium area for dedicated ht = sealed sub to utilize very good room gain. I would even do two sealed subs to equal out response. Dialed in, you should get flat response down to 14-15htz., possibly lower, due to room gain. Using ported subs in this scenario, especially corner loading them up front, will make the ported subs sound real boomy and sloppy.

Looking at your layout, ported sub or subs all the way.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have dual XV-15's, and they put out a lot of deep bass.

If you haven't already emailed or called Tom V, do so and see what he recommends.

vardo

Edit: I see you have already have been in contact with Tom
post #7 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM

Liked: 801
How deep do the XV-15's measure?

The two Dayton drivers we wrote about with the newly added RW-12d setup, currently measures a solid +/-3dB, 19Hz to 78Hz and we still haven't any room treatments.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why would you choose a sealed cabinet rather than ported for a large open room like mine? Tom even recommended the XV over the XS for my application.

I'm in the Thompson/Okanagan area, but have family around Vancouver so I was planning to pick up the PSA subs from across the border and having a family visit in one trip.

As far as the 30 series PSA models, they are more money than I care to spend.

I do appreciate in the input, thanks.

I based my comment off of the fact that the XV15 only has 0.5db advantage over a XS30 from 30hz down to its port tune of 18hz, below that the XS30 has an output advantage and above that you basically need two XV15's to equal one XS30. So "if" you had the budget for it I would go with the XS30.

Sorry Tom recommend the XV15 over the XS30? Or the XS15?
Was that based on your budget?

If you were think the XS15, then yes the XV15 is the way to go because it would have more output. But a XS30 has more output then the XV15.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I based my comment off of the fact that the XV15 only has 1db advantage over a XS30 from 30hz down to its port tune of 18hz, below that the XS30 has an output advantage and above that you basically need two XV15's to equal one XS30. So "if" you had the budget for it I would go with the XS30.

Sorry Tom recommend the XV15 over the XS30? Or the XS15?
Was that based on your budget?

Dual XV15s would be an excellent choice for this room size. You have about 2000 cu-ft there, but it is open to the dining area and the back stairwell. So the room environment may be just a bit larger than I would normally recommend for dual XS15s.

^ Tom's exact wording. Budget was not discussed, but I did initiate the conversation showing interest in dual XV15s so he may have assumed that my budget did not allow for anything more.

I could afford dual XS30s, but the XV15s are already more money than I told myself that I would be spending on subs - and that's not even factoring in what I've already spent on the 15.0
post #10 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

That makes sense, but the XS30 does have a significant output advantage over a XV15.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

That makes sense, but the XS30 does have a significant output advantage over a XV15.
Thanks for helping to make my decision harder wink.gif

I'm mulling over the idea of a single XS30 now, see how I like it and then potentially a second down the road. It would probably "cooperate" fairly well with the 15.0 that I have now even...

Comparing the XS30 to the 15.0, the PSA is approximately the same price, but with a second driver and 225 RMS more wattage. The 15.0 is much prettier though but that's not too much of a concern in my home.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for helping to make my decision harder wink.gif

I'm mulling over the idea of a single XS30 now, see how I like it and then potentially a second down the road. It would probably "cooperate" fairly well with the 15.0 that I have now even...

Comparing the XS30 to the 15.0, the PSA is approximately the same price, but with a second driver and 250 RMS more wattage. The 15.0 is much prettier though but that's not too much of a concern in my home.

Too bad you're up in the interior, otherwise you could bring your 15.0 to my place and directly compare it to my XS30.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Too bad you're up in the interior, otherwise you could bring your 15.0 to my place and directly compare it to my XS30.
Where are you?
post #14 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where are you?

Cloverdale. Another forum member not too far from me recently ordered a 18.0C from Funk Audio and when he finally gets it is going to bring to over to my place to compare it with my XS30's.
I think he's still about 6 weeks away from getting it from Funk.
post #15 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually this seems like it could be the best option. I may be happy with the 15.0 and XS3 together, but if not and I decide to replace the 15.0 with another XS30, I could re-sell the 15.0 before the second XS30 is purchased.
post #16 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cloverdale
You're not too far from my parents then - they're in between guildford and fleetwood. A friend of mine just bought a townhome in cloverdale as well. It's a long drive though just to compare subs only to have to turn around and make the drive again the following week to pick up the sub(s) from Sumas or Blaine.
post #17 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually this seems like it could be the best option. I may be happy with the 15.0 and XS30, but if not and I decide to replace the 15.0 with another XS30, I could re-sell the 15.0 before the second XS30 is purchased.

If you don't mind the finish of the XS30, (and I really like the finish) that's what I would do. Get one XS30 now, and then sell the 15.0 down the road and add a second XS30 later.
post #18 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

one XS30 ordered
post #19 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha well that was fast!... I was going to say next time you were out this way you could stop by and have a listen to my XS30's. No need for that now! lol
I grew up kind of between Fleetwood and Guildford.

Are you going to have it sent to Ship Happens out at the Sumas border?
post #20 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I use either Package Express in Sumas or Blaine Enterprises. Package Express is nice because they email you when your stuff arrives and the huntington border is generally quiet and it's close to the highway. Blaine Enterprise is much more lenient on leaving packages beyond 2 weeks without paying storage fees which is a plus for me being in the interior and I've found that the border guards at 176 will sometimes waive you through without paying tax. I've had over $500 worth of declared stuff and been given the green light.

This one's going to PE.

Maybe I'll look you up when I get down there next - I hear those noesis' are quite impressive.
post #21 of 24 Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 15
Good luck with your purchase brendelac!
I am the one jb mentioned that had just purchased a 18.0C, and I am about 5 to 6 weeks away from getting it delivered.

I came very close to getting a XS30, so we are moving in opposite directions. I would of definitely have recommended the second 15.0.
I think a second 15.0 would of been all that you need, and filled out your room nicely. Easier to do with the 2nd sub being the exact same one. As well, as good as the PSA subs are, I think you are taking a step
back in quality. Only my opinion, but the quality of cabinet, amp, and drivers to me seems to be higher with Funk, which is why I went with them. You could
probably get a second 15.0 for not much more than the XS30, especially if you get it delivered in the the Lower Mainland, and pick it up on your next trip down. Might be worth a call/email if not too late.

Let us know what you think of both, would love to hear how the 2 compare when you get the XS30. Please keep us in the loop!
When are you getting it?
post #22 of 24 Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually Anthony it would cost him about $300 more to get a 15.0 because he'll have to pay the sales tax on any Funk Audio product because he's located in BC. The way he's going about it a XS30 will come in just under $1300 and that includes the taxes he'll have to pay at the border when he brings it across the border.
post #23 of 24 Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywoy View Post

Let us know what you think of both, would love to hear how the 2 compare when you get the XS30. Please keep us in the loop!
When are you getting it?
Will do, I'm still very much in the learning phase of AVS so my critiquing should come with a large grain of salt. As far as when I will have it, I think it will be shipped early next week, possibly sooner.
post #24 of 24 Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM

Liked: 15
Not an expert myself, but it is a fun hobby, always things to learn, and new gear to buy smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page