what is needed for REW - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
i would get a seperate spl meter that way its cordless and you can walk around the room and see the areas where bass is loudest...be a little hard to do with a cord attatched, depending on how big your room is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

i would get a seperate spl meter that way its cordless and you can walk around the room and see the areas where bass is loudest...be a little hard to do with a cord attatched, depending on how big your room is.

And if you should decide you want to take the sound measuring device outside, you'd need a really long cord. There's no need to limit use of a sound meter to calibration REW or setting the gain on one's subwoofer.

Some folks think a sound meter is only used to setup one's sound system. Sound meters make great toys to take on walks or check out how loud your generator or automobile is. It's always fun to pull the sound meter out when watching a movie to see how loud it gets during a particular action scene in a movie. One can take sound meters to work and measure industrial noise levels or see how loud the noise level in the cab of their monster truck is. But if taking a sound meter into the great outdoors, one will need a sound meter that measures <40dB.

-
post #33 of 51 Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

And if you should decide you want to take the sound measuring device outside, you'd need a really long cord. There's no need to limit use of a sound meter to calibration REW or setting the gain on one's subwoofer.

Some folks think a sound meter is only used to setup one's sound system. Sound meters make great toys to take on walks or check out how loud your generator or automobile is. It's always fun to put the sound meter out when watching a movie to see how loud it gets during a particular action scene in a movie. One can take sound meters to work and measure industrial noise levels or see how loud the noise level in the cab of their monster truck is. But if taking a sound meter into the great outdoors, one will need a sound meter that measures <40dB.

-

very good point!
post #34 of 51 Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

Buy the minidsp USB mic, it's integrated with REW with spl meter, you don't need a separate spl meter

Can you or anybody include the link on where to buy the UMIK-1 | miniDSP ? . I don't see any on Amazon , Parts Express etc.
Thanks

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #35 of 51 Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post

Can you or anybody include the link on where to buy the UMIK-1 | miniDSP ? . I don't see any on Amazon , Parts Express etc.
Thanks

directly from them ... www.minidsp.com
post #36 of 51 Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoreborn View Post

directly from them ... www.minidsp.com

I wonder why they are not readily available from other vendors ? Any way thanks and this is what I need correct ?
Here's the link.
http://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #37 of 51 Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wonder why they are not readily available from other vendors ? Any way thanks and this is what I need correct ?
Here's the link.
http://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

correct
post #38 of 51 Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Question guys.

I have a older (late 2008) Macbook Pro that I could get a minDisplay port -> HDMI adapter. And could run Win7 via Bootcamp too. However, according to Apple, my model's display port doesn't support audio out via HDMI/display port. So what do I do if I want to try out REW + MiniDSP mic?? Or what else do I need??

I've seen Omnimic in action before, and seems pretty simple to connect/use since it comes with a DVD disc that you just play it through your DVD player and have the mic connect to your laptop for measurement. How does REW work? Is it generate all the tones directly from the computer and output it to the AVR instead of using a DVD disc like Omnimic?
post #39 of 51 Old 04-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Question guys.

I have a older (late 2008) Macbook Pro that I could get a minDisplay port -> HDMI adapter. And could run Win7 via Bootcamp too. However, according to Apple, my model's display port doesn't support audio out via HDMI/display port. So what do I do if I want to try out REW + MiniDSP mic?? Or what else do I need??

I've seen Omnimic in action before, and seems pretty simple to connect/use since it comes with a DVD disc that you just play it through your DVD player and have the mic connect to your laptop for measurement. How does REW work? Is it generate all the tones directly from the computer and output it to the AVR instead of using a DVD disc like Omnimic?

I have no idea about Apple to Win7 conversions. As to the question regarding how does REW work? It's as you described with Omnimic. There's a measurement feature which includes a user defined frequency range, using the computer's headphone out, plays a tone sweep that's recorded and graphically displayed on the computer's screen. There's a bit of a steep learning curve but once past the frustration of the learning curve, it's pretty much point-n-click operation.

Using today's measuring effort, here's an example of what one can expect to see on their computer screen when taking measurements with REW.

post #40 of 51 Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 AM

Liked: 13
Is this a great found deal or is this a dud? Never heard of the brand but the discount looks good. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this meter?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E8MV78/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P1300_1000?tag=dradis-20

post #41 of 51 Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Based on personal experience, personal needs included in my bias', this is a dud due to it being limited to >35Hz and having an accuracy of +/-3dB.

We deal in a world that is +/-3dB sensitive and this meter does not compliment that standard. One should look for a sound level meter that holds to a tighter, calibrated standard.

(my above is not a slam of the sound level meter itself)

The Amazon reviews are not particularly encouraging either.

After purchasing and using four sound level meters, the Radio Shack, digital sound meter included in this basket of sound meters, this is the meter I settled on.

It's big, bulky and I flat out love it. My one and only complaint, the back light stays on for "ONLY" some five seconds. Very, very, very annoying when measuring in the dark during a movie screening.

-
post #42 of 51 Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:

I wonder why they are not readily available from other vendors ?
They are:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-808

Dayton doesn't make products, they source them. It would appear that Dayton and MiniDSP both source this mic from the same manufacturer.
Quote:
Is this a great found deal or is this a dud? Never heard of the brand but the discount looks good. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this meter?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E8MV78/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P1300_1000?tag=dradis-20
It only has A weighting, useless for measuring speakers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #43 of 51 Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Only has "A" weighting? eek.gif

Good catch.
post #44 of 51 Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

They are:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-808

Dayton doesn't make products, they source them. It would appear that Dayton and MiniDSP both source this mic from the same manufacturer.
It only has A weighting, useless for measuring speakers.

Thank you, have no idea what specs I should be paying attention to as I begin to explore some measuring equip.

post #45 of 51 Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc View Post

Thank you, have no idea what specs I should be paying attention to as I begin to explore some measuring equip.

In the simple, the above linked microphone with linked sound level meter, coupled to a freeware copy of REW, all connected by cables and your computer, should get you where you want to go.....well, we'll say, the ability to successfully measure your room as you're on your own with everything else.
post #46 of 51 Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM

Can somebody clarify for me: I read in an earlier post that to save money one could simply connect their SPL directly to the computer rather than buy a usb mic. Is this correct? Are there any downsides to this approach? I've already got an SPL and would prefer not to buy a mic if possible.
post #47 of 51 Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

no you need a mic...spl meter is simply another tool to aid in the process of correctly setting up a sub(s)
post #48 of 51 Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Can somebody clarify for me: I read in an earlier post that to save money one could simply connect their SPL directly to the computer rather than buy a usb mic. Is this correct? Are there any downsides to this approach? I've already got an SPL and would prefer not to buy a mic if possible.

Yes you can. But the sound card on your pc/laptop must have a "Line-in" jack. It should also have a "Line-out" jack so you can loop back and measure flatness curve of the internal sound card itself. That will be required by REW for accurate measurements.

Mic/headphone jacks won't work for input/output ; they have a lot of inherent noise.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #49 of 51 Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like its off to get a mic for me.
post #50 of 51 Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron-marshal View Post

Yes, "SOME" sound meters have an audio out and can be used in this fashion. Anything to get you up and running but like all endeavors, one is "ALWAYS" better served having the right tools in their tool bag.

(ex: I can use a piece of pipe as a hammer, a bolt and string to find plumb, a saw to cut wire, a river stone to sharpen a blade and a pair of pliers to remove a nut. that sort of thing)

(While I was composing the above, I see you decided to buy a microphone)

This is the current forum standard for a measuring microphone.
post #51 of 51 Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Looks like its off to get a mic for me.

Just get an Analog Radio Shack SPL meter.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page