Subwoofer on a laminate covered cement slab - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Is having a front firing, bottom ported subwoofer (energy S10.3) directly on a laminate covered cement slab floor ok?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Is having a front firing, bottom ported subwoofer (energy S10.3) directly on a laminate covered cement slab floor ok?
It's fine, assuming it has rubber feet. But one of the advantages of down firing, be it a port or the driver, is the acoustic filtering of above bandwidth harmonics, which is greatly improved if there's carpet beneath the sub. For that matter carpet throughout the room will give a much better result than bare laminate.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

It's fine, assuming it has rubber feet. But one of the advantages of down firing, be it a port or the driver, is the acoustic filtering of above bandwidth harmonics, which is greatly improved if there's carpet beneath the sub. For that matter carpet throughout the room will give a much better result than bare laminate.
It's a front firing sub, with downward facing ports. Sub has wooden feet, but I will add rubber isolation pads. Carpeting the room is not an option, but there is a large throw rug in the room, and I'll also add a small piece of rug (2x2) under the sub if that will be helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-13-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And how right you are Bill. I bought an indoor/outdoor rubber backed Berber type mat, trimmed it to size, and what a difference it makes tightening up the bass. The rubber feet I ordered will arrive Monday, and I'll attach them to the wooden legs as well.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page