What's wrong wiith my subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have about a 10 year old Velodyne CHT10 subwoofer. The last couple of weeks the sub has a distorted sound when the bass soundtrack of a movie gets intense. The sound is similar to if you push the sub too hard and the deep bass starts to crack or pop. I've gone back through my receiver and subwoofer settings and nothing has changed. I've also checked the outer cone and it looks normal. No cracks or tears.

Is my sub dying? The sound hasn't got any better. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse. It does it more often and even if I turn the sub volume down. I really don't know much about the internal workings of a sub. I assume something internal is failing? Any help on this is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It is fairly typical for a subwoofer amp to fail after a few years. I had one fail at the 9 year point; another fail at 5 years; and two fail (same brand external amp) in less than 2 years.
It can cost $200-300+ to fix an amp and the repaired amp is usually returned with a 30-90 day warranty. Most individuals consider a new subwoofer. A well regarded under $300 subwoofer is the BIC PL-200; at under $400, the Hsu STF-2.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, thanks for the reply. I thought if the amp fails that would equal no sound? Is that an incorrect assumption? The sub has sound, it just gets sloppy when there seems to be more bass being fed to it, i.e. an explosion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page