2 Mismatched subs. Can I use these together. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have just received my new Klipsch RW12D sub and originally I was going to replace my current Pioneer SW-8MK2 sub.

Would it be advisable to use both subs at the same time considering they are mismatched? IF so what would be the best way. I have a Onkyo Tx-NR818 that uses Audyssey MultEQ XT32

SW-8MK2

specifications
› Frequency Range....................................................38 Hz-150 Hz
› Maximum Input Power.......................................................100 W
› Driver Size.................................................................................8”
› Dimensions (W x H x D) ...........12-3/16” x 14-3/16” x 12-3/16”
› Weight (each)..............................................................20 lbs 4 oz
› Power Consumption............................................................1.0 A
› Power Requirement................................................120 V / 60 Hz
› UPC........................................................................012562906133
Andrew Jones Designed 100-Watt* Powered Subwoofer
*50W FTC Power Output

RW12D

SPECIFICATIONS
AMPLIFIER: BASH digital hybrid
AMPLIFIER POWER: FTC Rated Power: 350 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 825 watts
DRIVE COMPONENTS: 12" (30.5cm) Cerametallic cone, front-firing woofer
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via front-firing CornerPort
EXPORT VOLTAGE: 220 VAC 50/60Hz
FEATURES: DCS control and feature set w/ 3 system presets
FINISHES: Black Ash woodgrain vinyl
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 24-120Hz +/-3dB
HEIGHT: 19.2" (48.8cm)
INPUTS: L/R Line-level RCA jacks, L/R High-level speaker binding posts
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 116dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m
OUTPUTS: None
VOLTAGE: 110/120 VAC 60Hz
WEIGHT: 49lbs (22.2kg)
WIDTH: 14.6" (37.1cm)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
The problem I see with the above posted specs, the SW-8MK2 drops out at 38Hz and that's more the type of sub one would have to help out weak speakers, not help out in the subwoofer department.

Personally, I don't think the SW-8MK2 will play and get along well with the RW-12d. See it in the light of a little league ball player trying to keep up with the high school players. The little league player may have all the heart in the world but their size just won't allow them to keep up with the high school players.

In my opinion, you'd be better served saving for and getting a second RW-12d and not using the SW-8MK2 as the SW-8MK2 is going mess with your hearing whenever the sound track drops below 38Hz.

-
post #3 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I think the vast majority of what you hear will sound better with both subs spaced apart. There may be the odd very low frequency that may sound a little off, but overall, I think you're better off running both subs. Audyssey will boost the lower frequencies so it will help compensate for the difference in FR between the subs.

Obviously, you would be better off replacing the lesser of the two subs with a better one.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDErickson84088 View Post

Would it be advisable to use both subs at the same time considering they are mismatched?
Sure, but the Pioneer isn't going to run as loud as the Klipsch, so put the Klipsch in the front of the room, the Pioneer in the back, and watch the volume of the Pioneer.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page