Please help, I need advice/opinions on upgrading my HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really need some help for upgrading my HT system. Below is my current setup and I've attached a picture of my room dimensions. My budget is around $2,000, but could go a little bit over. I use my HT 60% music 40% movies. My living room is almost 1500 cubic ft, and is shared with the dining room, kitchen, & hallway (about 3500 cubic ft total)

Current Steup.jpg 802k .jpg file

1. What subwoofer/subwoofers would you recommend for my HT?

2. Would you recommend dual subwoofers?

I'm pretty limited on subwoofer placement.

3. If I went with dual subwoofers, would placing my mains on top of both subwoofers be the better option?

4. What other setup would be better for dual subwoofers in my current setup?

5. In the future would upgrading to the Denon AVR 4311 CI be that much better for running dual subwoofers & MultiEQ XT32, compared to my current Denon AVR 2312 CI?

Subwoofers I'm considering::
1. dual VTF-15H (Hsu)
2. dual XV-15 (PSA)
3. 1 FV15HP (Rythmik)
4. 1 XV-30 (PSA)
5. 1 PB13-ULTRA (SVS)

Current Setup:

Speakers & Subwoofer:

1 Cerwin Vega VE 5C 5 1/4" 2 Way Center Channel Speaker:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EI0EB8/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4 Cerwin Vega VE-5M 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker (surround sound speakers) :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LSG09Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2 Cerwin Vega VE-12 12" 3-Way Tower Speaker (mains):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EHUFLI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1 BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y5M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Receiver:
1 Denon AVR 2312CI
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z0S7JW/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power Conditioner:
1 Panamax M5300-PM
http://www.amazon.com/Panamax-M5300-PM-Outlet-Clean-Power/dp/B000SXWGAQ/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364934184&sr=1-7

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Current Steup.jpg (801.8 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
I would say option 1 or 2 between those choices! I have xv15's now and the both of them combined are capable of 125-130db output. however I initially wanted dual xs30's, but my budget was short of that goal. Now I have the extra cash I am contemplating sending the xv15's back for dual xs30's because i am a music lover 80/20...not 100% sure yet because the xv15's are insane for the money and sound great with music for being a ported sub! I have yet to hear any port noise, but a few have claimed that there is some slight chuffing when pushed to its limits around 18hz.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for your input. I'll probably go with dual XV-15 and see how they sound. If I'm still wanting more, which is highly unlikely I'll probably end up getting dual XS-30's.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 AM

Liked: 11
Can't hurt to send Tom at PSA a quick email and see what he recommends.

Think you'll be happiest with options 2, 3 or 5. However, keep an eye on the forum classifieds as you might be able to get better sub and stay within your budget.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC1982 View Post

I really need some help for upgrading my HT system. Below is my current setup and I've attached a picture of my room dimensions. My budget is around $2,000, but could go a little bit over. I use my HT 60% music 40% movies. My living room is almost 1500 cubic ft, and is shared with the dining room, kitchen, & hallway (about 3500 cubic ft total)

2. Would you recommend dual subwoofers?

Based on your provided room schematic, I would recommend three subwoofers.

Quote:
I'm pretty limited on subwoofer placement.

I would recommend reconsidering your above comment as your layout suggests you have more than enough flexibility for several subwoofers.

Quote:
3. If I went with dual subwoofers, would placing my mains on top of both subwoofers be the better option?

Doing so will boost the overall output but won't spread the sound waves around the room. I would consider separate placement before encouraging stacking two subwoofers. In the case of subwoofers and a room's aesthetics, if you want quality of sound, you'll need to be flexible in the aesthetics department.....just saying.

Quote:
4. What other setup would be better for dual subwoofers in my current setup?

Adding three subwoofers.

Quote:
5. In the future would upgrading to the Denon AVR 4311 CI be that much better for running dual subwoofers & MultiEQ XT32, compared to my current Denon AVR 2312 CI?

Absolutely. In order for one to accurately answer that question, if you haven't already, one must recommend adding room measuring capability but yes, the added layer of MultEQ XT32 is a good thing, not a bad thing. Consider the addition of a miniDSP, 2X4. Go to their website @ minidsp.com.

Quote:
Subwoofers I'm considering::
1. dual VTF-15H (Hsu)
2. dual XV-15 (PSA)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Based on your provided schematic, I'd recommend either of the three choices, three PSA, XV15's, three Rythmik, LV12R's or three SVS, PC12-NSD's. Possibly a few dollars more then your stated budget but you commented that you have a bit of flexibility and multiple subwoofer purchases usually come with a 5% discount over buying one subwoofer which brings the price into your budgetary range.

FYI, for smoothness of bass, we're currently using a three subwoofer setup and looking to add a fourth as it's not about loud but about smoothness of sound reproduction. Bass waves are nothing like the higher frequency sound waves because the higher frequencies, by comparison, are shorter and not as much trouble to control.

I hope the above helps give you guidance.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page