I am thinking about.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
...adding a SeatonSubHP to my HT setup. I already have an eD a7-450 (ported). I would eventually try to sell my a7-450 to pick up a 2nd SeatonSubHP, but I am curious how these two would perform together in the meantime. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 155

It's doable, but will take some tweaking to get them to play nicely. Ported and Sealed typically don't integrate very well because around the Port tune, the combination will start to go out of phase with each other.

Having said that, I do run ported and sealed subs. I used eD's eQ.2 parametric equalizer to play with the phase on the FV15HP. I also have Omnimic to be able to do realtime tweaking of the FR. Without similar type equipment, I wouldn't have ever gotten them to integrate. There another AVS'r in town that also runs ported and sealed, and has XT32. In his case, XT32 got his to play nicely just by running audyssey. I only have XT and wasn't so lucky...

It will be an interesting comparison when you get the SubM. I imagine the A7-450 shares a lot of the same characteristics of the Captivator (big ported sub with high xmax and power). Do share your thoughts.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 446
If you were going to combine the two, one thing you might consider is just using the lows of the ED and the mids and upper bass of the Seaton. The ED's strength is its output around its tuning point, where it will certainly surpass the Seaton, but I don't think it is likely to have the mid and upper bass output of the Seaton. So you might cross the ED over around maybe something like 30 hz, and high pass the Seaton to around that point as well, kind of like what Hsu does with their mid bass module.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

It's doable, but will take some tweaking to get them to play nicely. Ported and Sealed typically don't integrate very well because around the Port tune, the combination will start to go out of phase with each other.

+1

Trying to balance disparate subwoofer types can be a bit of a challenge.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Having said that, I do run ported and sealed subs. I used eD's eQ.2 parametric equalizer to play with the phase on the FV15HP. I also have Omnimic to be able to do realtime tweaking of the FR. Without similar type equipment, I wouldn't have ever gotten them to integrate. There another AVS'r in town that also runs ported and sealed, and has XT32. In his case, XT32 got his to play nicely just by running audyssey. I only have XT and wasn't so lucky...

It will be an interesting comparison when you get the SubM. I imagine the A7-450 shares a lot of the same characteristics of the Captivator (big ported sub with high xmax and power). Do share your thoughts.

Using a seal sub and a ported one should be no different than integrating two non-identical sub. As far as where the port is tune, any thing less than 30 should not have a major impact on music. I use a sealed sub with a ported sub and like the combo. It is very doable!

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #6 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Using a seal sub and a ported one should be no different than integrating two non-identical sub. As far as where the port is tune, any thing less than 30 should not have a major impact on music. I use a sealed sub with a ported sub and like the combo. It is very doable!

except at the tuning point the ported sub's output will be 180 degrees out of phase with its output higher in its pass band. whether that results in the two subs canceling each other significantly depends on the room, the other sub, placement, etc.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

except at the tuning point the ported sub's output will be 180 degrees out of phase with its output higher in its pass band.
Not if it was properly engineered, with the amp high-passed at the sub tuning frequency. But that is a big 'if'.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page