Buttkicker 1000W amp with three LFE's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm hoping someone out there can help. I just ordered a buttkicker lfe kit and two additional LFE's so I will have three transducers running off the one 1000w amp. On the website and all the advertising it says clearly the amp can run up to 4 LFE's easily. BUT just now I read on their intallation and wiring instruction that when running three LFE's on one amp the power is insufficient. What the hell?
I am pissed because they clearly state on the ads and website that one amp should be enough.
Anyone running a similar set-up? Will I need to buy another amp?
I'm annoyed by the false advertising if so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It is possible, here is the wiring schematic from buttkicker's website:
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/configuration/wiringdiagramsprint/WD_3BK4-1000.pdf

Keep in mind, because of the odd # of kickers and running them in series, the total watts per kicker will be limited to 110 watts each. With 4, you would be at 250 watts per kicker because of the ability to wire it in series/parrallel. I'm running 4 bk advances off of a BK4-4.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

It is possible, here is the wiring schematic from buttkicker's website:
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/configuration/wiringdiagramsprint/WD_3BK4-1000.pdf

Keep in mind, because of the odd # of kickers and running them in series, the total watts per kicker will be limited to 110 watts each. With 4, you would be at 250 watts per kicker because of the ability to wire it in series/parrallel. I'm running 4 bk advances off of a BK4-4.

Does the power seem evenly distributed between the 4 BKs running off one amp and do they all hit at exactly the same time when you run them in series? Reason I ask is I read some posts here a while back where people were claiming running 4 BKs caused some uneven power distribution and because of this, I was planning on adding a 2nd amp when I eventually get two more BKs (I have 2 right now), but obviously I would love to save $$$ and not have to buy another amp.

My other question is can you tell any real world difference between a kicker getting 1000 watts from the amp (which each of mine are right now) vs 250? If so, I assume you can just turn them up to compensate?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 AM

Mine are evenly powered, no issues from seat to seat.

I am perfectly happy with running 1 amp, no need for a second in my opinion. They are not turned up so high that is overwhelms either. I didn't do a 1 vs 2 vs 4 driven comparison, but like you mentioned, I am compensating the difference with the gain knob.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mine are evenly powered, no issues from seat to seat.

I am perfectly happy with running 1 amp, no need for a second in my opinion. They are not turned up so high that is overwhelms either. I didn't do a 1 vs 2 vs 4 driven comparison, but like you mentioned, I am compensating the difference with the gain knob.

Thank you for the help and info. I am just going to grab two more shakers in light of that and run all 4 off the amp I have.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes very helpful info. Looks like my options are to buy one more lfe to have four, or one more amp if I want 1000w to each. Is there anyone out there who's compared running 1-2 LFE's vs running 4 off one amp?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Keep in mind - I'm running the 4 BK Advances, not BK LFE's, which are significantly smaller (11 lbs vs 5.5 lbs). The BK Advance has a power handline spec of 75 - 400 watts vs the BK LFE of 400 - 1500 watts.

I have no doubt that you could run 4 BK LFE's, if you are not maxing it out. Buttkicker's website actually highlights the wiring schematic for 4 BK LFE's off of 1 amp. But I thought I better mention the power handling specs vs amp output specs. I have no experience of running 4 BK LFE's - I did run 1 BK LFE off the same amp, which shook an entire couch with ease. Sold the couch and bought 4 recliners from rtheaters - the LFE didn't fit. I tried 4 mini's, but was not happy with the result. The Advances were an excellent compromise.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Keep in mind - I'm running the 4 BK Advances, not BK LFE's, which are significantly smaller (11 lbs vs 5.5 lbs). The BK Advance has a power handline spec of 75 - 400 watts vs the BK LFE of 400 - 1500 watts.

I have no doubt that you could run 4 BK LFE's, if you are not maxing it out. Buttkickers website actually highlights the wiring schematic for 4 BK LFE's off of 1 amp. But I thought I better mention the power handling specs vs amp output specs. I have no experiencing of running 4 BK LFE's - I did run 1 BK LFE off the same amp, which shook an entire couch with ease. Sold the couch and bought 4 recliners from rtheaters - the LFE didn't fit. I tried 4 mini's, but was not happy with the result. the Advances were an excellent compromise.

Good point. I use 2 BK LFEs attached to a mini riser my couch sits on and demanding LFE films will bottom these out at times at the levels I listen at. I want to add two more for more headroom to avoid bottoming.

I might just try 4 off one amp first and if needed I can always get a second amp.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers