Sub issues - Advice needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,
Below is my old theater room setup with 1 Klipsch RW-12D in the location listed.

Yesterday I received my second Klipsch RW-12D and setup in the configuration below.

After using Audyssey XT32 on my Onkyo TX-NR818 (Without Sub EQHT) to calibrate I was disappointed to find that the bass response was worse than when I used the single RW-12D. I can't figure out the depth and punch I had has disappeared after adding the second sub. I was thinking maybe a phase issue but any adjustment doesn't seem to affect anything.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I am limited in where I can place the subs as without SUB EQHT the subs need to be equidistant from the MLP.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I am noob so I am probably wrong wink.gif but if the phasing isn't an issue then you might have some room mode/null issues?

Is the sound worse across the room or just at the listening position?

I think I have also read that XT32 can set subs too low, so you might want to increase them from 75dB in Audyssey?

That's probably no help whatsoever tongue.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDErickson84088 View Post

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
You're placing your subs based on how they look best. Read this:
http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1557
you bass is escaping down the hallway...also there is probably a big null at the Listening Posistion. i would move both subs on each side of the loveseat. that way the bass hits the LP before escsping down the hall way. The way you had the one sub set was probably reflecting the bass into your LP better. One thing I have learned with multiple subs is to let them decide where they need to be. the ol "im limited to placement options" excuse does not work well with multiple subs...stick with one if thats the case.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 06:23 AM

Liked: 801
Personally, I'd move the left sub (as looking down on the schematic) to the left side of the couch (as looking down on the schematic) and then start taking sound measurements so as to find out where reinforcement and null behavior is taking place.

Subwoofers are enigmatic and individually, don't like to play and get along with other low frequency notes but love to be in gangs of four so as to even out room response to lower octave, reproduced sound waves being integrated into a room's acoustics.

A room of your size, for smoothness of subwoofer reproduced sound waves, is best served by three or four RW-12d's. Adding a third sub is not for the purpose of playing it loud but instead is intended to bring life to your subwoofer world due to conflicting sound waves which are cancelling and reinforcing each other as they bounce around the room.

-
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 06:27 AM

Liked: 13
put the sub in your seating position, head level, everything. play a sony that has a wide range of bass then crawl around the room at head level. where the bass sounds the best, that is where the sub goes.

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

you bass is escaping down the hallway...also there is probably a big null at the Listening Posistion. i would move both subs on each side of the loveseat. that way the bass hits the LP before escsping down the hall way. The way you had the one sub set was probably reflecting the bass into your LP better. One thing I have learned with multiple subs is to let them decide where they need to be. the ol "im limited to placement options" excuse does not work well with multiple subs...stick with one if thats the case.

I think this may be the solution.

I took an older Pioneer sub I had and added it right beside the loveseat (3 total subs) and the punch was back. I am going to try moving both RW-12D's on either side of loveseat.

Is it okay to place the sub underneath the end table on the one side? Or will that ruin the sound? I can eliminate the table if needed.

On another note of sound disappearing down the hallway. Would it help to install a fabric curtain over that opening that I can use while watching movies?

Thank you.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDErickson84088 View Post

I think this may be the solution.

I took an older Pioneer sub I had and added it right beside the loveseat (3 total subs) and the punch was back. I am going to try moving both RW-12D's on either side of loveseat.

Is it okay to place the sub underneath the end table on the one side? Or will that ruin the sound? I can eliminate the table if needed.

On another note of sound disappearing down the hallway. Would it help to install a fabric curtain over that opening that I can use while watching movies?

Thank you.

yes you should be able to place it under the table long as the driver and port is not blocked. i would think a curtain would help, but i guess that depends on how dense it is. it would probably absorb more than reflect.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page