Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterguy View Post

My expectation is too have the best clean bass possible out of a small enclosure. I like clean bass and I like it that way for music but still worth while for movies.

And how loud do you expect this sub to go?

Subwoofer sound waves, literally, fight with each other and a user ends up with modes, reinforcement and cancellation or peaks and valleys. Two seating positions, literally four feet apart can have upwards of a 10dB difference where despite being only four feet apart, one listener perceives the sound level to be twice as loud as the other listener and for those with sensitive hearing, this is a huge variation and can will be considered an imposition.. A lot of effort needs to go into fixing this type of common subwoofer listening phenomenon and the easiest way is with multiple subwoofers. The point, are you looking for a single sub solution or is the wife going allow there to be more than one sub in her living room?

My way of characterizing subwoofers, they're the most vexing of Home Theater components and compared to other Home Theater appliances, without exaggeration, require special feeding and care to get the best out of them.

I'm not trying to confuse your question as I play one thousand questions but in your answers, readers will better be able to provide recommendations as it's easy to say, buy this sub but getting what you want is a horse of a different color for if my questions are not properly attended to, the most expensive and well respected subwoofer, can and will fall flat on it's figurative face.

Are your provided measurements exact measurement or can you go with a 18" x 18" 18" box? I know this is 1.5" wider then your provided max of 16.5".

I get the feeling you're being limited to a one subwoofer solution and this limitation, in of itself can defeat your quest for "...the best clean bass possible out of a small enclosure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

True enough. With the SB12-NSD, this is much less of an issue than with the Rythmik F12, whose amp offers a variety of settings. I imagine with the F12 there would be quite a bit of moving the sub out of and back into position, experimenting with different amp settings to see which one works the best. But if this "short-term pain" is not an issue for the OP, then the F12 is a very solid option. smile.gif

oh good point i forgot about rythmik having the extra controls such as rumble filter, q setting, and what not. ya i could see that being a pain in the op's situation.
post #33 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well. I have exactly 16.5" of width. A tad under 20" for height, Depth is not that big of an issue. I've always had one sub under there and She is ok with that. It really is the only place I can put it. I just want ONE good clean sub. I guess I am leaning toward Rythmic F12. I could do the JL but, it seems like overkill. I just got these Mytho Towers and I want something to compliment them not kill them. They have small powered subs in them as you know. They sound incredible. Again, Equal time with movies and music. I am hoping for good clean, tight bass. Not the boomy exaggerated bass. That's all I got. smile.gif

Panasonic TC-PS54S1, Pioneer SC-1522-k, PS4, DT Mythos ST-L , DT CS-8080HD, DT SR-8080BP, DT SC-8000
post #34 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:

My expectation is too have the best clean bass possible out of a small enclosure. I like clean bass and I like it that way for music but still worth while for movies.
Thanks guys

I believe most internet direct subs out there over 500.00 will all have clean bass...it all comes down to fit and finish, output, and budget. are you looking for clean ouput at moderate levels or reference levels? that makes a huge difference!! Its hard to recomend a sub if you dont provide all the details!!
post #35 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Liked: 11
I was once in a similar situation like yourself.

My wife wanted a subwoofer which would fit underneath an end table.

I went the way of placement and functionality.

Our ultimate compromise was to get a subwoofer which functions as an end table. (Though I am certain she would prefer better aesthetics.)

Enter the inert PSA XS30. Soon it will have a smoke colored glass tabletop to enhance the aesthetics but it still functions well as an end table with no unwanted cabinet vibrations.

Perhaps you should go for something along the lines of the Funk Audio 18.0C or one of the Seaton subs with a wood finish.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/Finish-Options-a-Collection-of-Photos-4292198

Subs don't have to be big ugly and black. They can look every bit the fine piece of furniture. It all depends how much you want to spend to make it look how you want it to.
post #36 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:

Not the boomy exaggerated bass. That's all I got. smile.gif

Boomy is caused by being poorly integrated into one's room's acoustics. Two additional subwoofers in the base of your Mythos will cause you integration trouble.

Based on all you've posted, being <16.5", if properly integrated, you'll be happy with the F-12.

-
post #37 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

And how loud do you expect this sub to go?

Subwoofer sound waves, literally, fight with each other and a user ends up with modes, reinforcement and cancellation or peaks and valleys. Two seating positions, literally four feet apart can have upwards of a 10dB difference where despite being only four feet apart, one listener perceives the sound level to be twice as loud as the other listener and for those with sensitive hearing, this is a huge variation and can will be considered an imposition.. A lot of effort needs to go into fixing this type of common subwoofer listening phenomenon and the easiest way is with multiple subwoofers. The point, are you looking for a single sub solution or is the wife going allow there to be more than one sub in her living room?

My way of characterizing subwoofers, they're the most vexing of Home Theater components and compared to other Home Theater appliances, without exaggeration, require special feeding and care to get the best out of them.

I'm not trying to confuse your question as I play one thousand questions but in your answers, readers will better be able to provide recommendations as it's easy to say, buy this sub but getting what you want is a horse of a different color for if my questions are not properly attended to, the most expensive and well respected subwoofer, can and will fall flat on it's figurative face.

Are your provided measurements exact measurement or can you go with a 18" x 18" 18" box? I know this is 1.5" wider then your provided max of 16.5".

I get the feeling you're being limited to a one subwoofer solution and this limitation, in of itself can defeat your quest for "...the best clean bass possible out of a small enclosure."

It's not like he can improve on the subbass acoustics by having two subs next to each other under that table. I would just calibrate for the main listening position and be happy.
post #38 of 38 Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Just thought I would check back in with my decision. I went back to my local store and auditioned the Super Cubes again. I liked it enough to buy it. I brought home the SC8000 and I am happy. Very Deep bass. Love the remote and display it offers. Such a great sub from such a small foot print. I am now going back this weekend to upgrade my Center and surrounds. I already listed them in my signature. My system upgrade is nearly done now and I am thrilled. The Mythos ST is a very special creation. I love the warm sound from it. Just amazing.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Panasonic TC-PS54S1, Pioneer SC-1522-k, PS4, DT Mythos ST-L , DT CS-8080HD, DT SR-8080BP, DT SC-8000
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page