AVS Forum banner

Subwoofer noob, $400 budget, single, dual??

7K views 181 replies 21 participants last post by  Done Deal DR 
#1 ·
Entire room size is 7000 cubic feet open floor plan with 20 foot ceilings and living, kitchen, and dining room in same room.

Listening area (living room): 12 ft length x 10 ft width x 20 ft height

Equipment:

Infinity p363 fronts

Infinity p163 center

Infinity p163 surrounds

Denon 1712 with Audyssey MultEQ XT

I am a subwoofer noob, did some research, but still need some help. I know $400 is a low budget for subwoofers, but wondering if I can get some satisfying bass with this budget. I plan to set crossover at 60hz for center/surrounds, maybe set the p363 at 40hz/60hz

It looks like dual subs next to the bed, right in front of my rear equipment stands would look great. Don't know if they will sound great though.

But dual subs would mean something cheaper like bic f12, with less extension, and can't be as big if I go duals. If I go single, more expensive, larger subwoofer, probably can only get one. If I place the dual subs nearfield, it seems I might get satisfying bass, but I'm not sure. A single large subwoofer would probably have to be placed somewhere along the wall where my antenna is hanging off the lamp, LOL. Not much room by my tv to place a subwoofer as I don't want my front speakers to close to the sidewall or blocking the walking area.

The subs will be mostly for movies. I think for music, I'll just turn off and enjoy 2 channel. But I still don't want one note bass.

Go duals, single, what should I get?

Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#105 ·
That was a different sub model, the 120...The new model has no such issues, the 1200...For what it's worth, I own the sub 120, never an issue (but also outside the recall range) and my sister the 1200, never an issue beyond outstanding bass.

The 120 you reference is from TWO years ago!

#106 ·
At this point it seems you're not wanting to pick one.

These are all good subwoofers and there's no perfect choice for your situation, only compromises. It's all about the Benjamins and how many you can cut loose with and based on WAF, what you're able to work into your decor. Some examples to choose from that are within your stated budgetary constraints:

Buy and stack two or four Sub-1200's in one or two corners.

Buy two RW-12D's and do the same.

Buy one SVS, PB-12 NSD and place it where you choose.

And there are always going be various choices in the middle as one looks at HSU, SVS, Rythmik, PSA and other mentioned manufactures that have offerings in your price range. Each of the above choices have limitation based compromises, which in turn affect their price and there's no getting around this point and no matter how long you joust with the windmills, the outcome will be the same, limitations and compromises based on decor, room acoustics, number of Benjamins in pocket and the all important WAF; "First base."

And the rub, once you do hook up your choice, you'll now have to deal with properly integrating the output into your room's acoustics which is another ballgame.

-

#107 ·
My 18" subwoofer is the best sounding subwoofer I've ever owned. (Compared to 8's, 10's, 12's, and 15's. All different brands of course) The logic that smaller woofers are faster just seems backwards to me.

I'm agreeing with Beeman here. Figure out what you want first, then the subwoofer choice should be obvious.

I'm seeing two options here:

Option 1: Go with two Sub-1200's. This will satisfy your bass craving for now. It will also give you a base point on what budget bass sounds like. This will allow you to really see the improvements and quality in a higher quality subwoofer when you upgrade.(If you ever want to)

Option 2: Go with the most expensive subwoofer you can afford, that meets most of your needs.

#108 ·
I have already figured out what I want. I posted that earlier, leaning towards single rw-12d, but waiting for sale. In the meantime, just making chat and learning more about subwoofers.

Didn't know people didn't want to talk about subwoofers in a subwoofer forum.

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/90#post_23319988

My 18" subwoofer is the best sounding subwoofer I've ever owned. (Compared to 8's, 10's, 12's, and 15's. All different brands of course) The logic that smaller woofers are faster just seems backwards to me.

Good to get an opinion on this. I hear this argument all the time.

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/90#post_23321127

I have already figured out what I want. I posted that earlier, leaning towards single rw-12d, but waiting for sale. In the meantime, just making chat and learning more about subwoofers.

Didn't know people didn't want to talk about subs
again I went with budget subs a few times and wish I would of bought a quality sub from the get go. all the budget purchases would of paid for one quality sub. again I would cough up the cheese and get a rythmik lv12r or outlaw lfm1 and be done. you can thank me after the first time you feel output in the 15-20hz range.

and i agree with the poster above about big woofers sounding great. it all depends on the quality of the driver, amp and enclosure. small woofers roll off faster which are percieved as faster bass per say...however its not. the smaller subs just dont carry the bass note out like a big driver.

#113 ·
After more research, I just gave in and ordered a bic f12. I can't cancel this order. Tired of waiting for the rw-12d, I know the extension and output would have been better than this f12. I have a feeling it was going to go on sale this friday too, oh well. Really want to get my sub soon.

I just know if I got the rw-12d, I would have been like if I spent so so more. It is never ending. I'll just stick with the budget subs for now. I don't even know what I really want yet. Gotta test myself.

If I like what I hear with the bic f12, I may try duals with it either separated or corner stacked. Having smaller dual f12's sounds like a could have a lot more placement options at least.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/90#post_23321823

If I like what I hear with the bic f12, I may try duals with it either separated or corner stacked.

That's the spirit. Start with one and see what's what with what and then add another. Now that you've had time to play with two, you can think about selling the two and then buy a killer upgrade as now you have a better idea what you're missing.......anticipation.

It's a hobby, a journey, not a destination.

Congrats on your choice and we'll look forward to discussing your purchase or subwoofer if you will as it's all good.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/90#post_23321823

After more research, I just gave in and ordered a bic f12. I can't cancel this order. Tired of waiting for the rw-12d, I know the extension and output would have been better than this f12. I have a feeling it was going to go on sale this friday too, oh well. Really want to get my sub soon.

I just know if I got the rw-12d, I would have been like if I spent so so more. It is never ending. I'll just stick with the budget subs for now. I don't even know what I really want yet. Gotta test myself.

If I like what I hear with the bic f12, I may try duals with it either separated or corner stacked. Having smaller dual f12's sounds like a could have a lot more placement options at least.
You can still get an RW12d later when its on sale and use it with the F12. Thats what I have and you will be better off than having 2 F12s.

And stacking subs is very rarely the best option.

#116 ·

Quote:

I saw when you decided on the RW-12D but then I thought you changed your mind once you started talking about other options. People here love talking about subwoofers, but sometimes we get too anxious and want other people to quickly buy a sub to tell us their impression of it. Ha.

Anyways, congrats on making a decision on the F12. You won't be dissapointed. It's a good sub and at the very least will give you insight and wisdom as to what you're looking for if you ever plan to upgrade. Many people say that they wish they would've gone with the higher end sub first before a budget sub, but I don't honestly believe that. Budget subwoofers give you a reference to base your next, more costly, sub purchases on. I think it's necessary.

Let us know how you like it when you get it.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/90#post_23322004

Budget subwoofers give you a reference to base your next, more costly, sub purchases on. I think it's necessary.

..^^^...

..+1

My complaint, the price of the upgrade. Boo-hoo me.

I want it all, I want it now and I want it too be freeeeeeeeeeee! There's got to be a winning lottery ticket around here somewhere.

Janis Joplin, "Mercedes Benz."

-

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/90#post_23322002

You can still get an RW12d later when its on sale and use it with the F12. Thats what I have and you will be better off than having 2 F12s.

And stacking subs is very rarely the best option.

yep i agree...nothing wrong with getting a budget sub to get your feet wet. I suspect a RW12D will on order soon after tho. oh and I forgot to add it to the list of quality subs, but yea its a nice sub for the money. I thought about picking one up for a 2.1 system in another room and putting the yamaha 467 back to work.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/90#post_23322038

Yeah the cost of upgrading does hurt a bit. But I was able to sell my F12 pretty easily, and I live in a place where people don't really care for audio gear.
If you can get someone to listen to the F12 it will usually sell quickly at a small loss. I had several people wanting mine but I thought it was worth more to keep it. I know that if I had sold it for a loss I would have ended up getting something else more expensive.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/90#post_23322049

If you can get someone to listen to the F12 it will usually sell quickly at a small loss. I had several people wanting mine but I thought it was worth more to keep it. I know that if I had sold it for a loss I would have ended up getting something else more expensive.

Ha yeah. I did take a loss when I sold mine. I'm terrible at haggling and the guy was so excited to buy it from me that he was willing to pay my asking price by digging for change in his car. I felt I didn't need the extra $10 and just let him take it.

One problem arose though when he noticed my Dayton 18" in the corner and wanted to hear it play. I had to tell him it was having issues, just so he wouldn't get discourage and change his mind about buying the F12. lolz

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/120#post_23322070

Ha yeah. I did take a loss when I sold mine. I'm terrible at haggling and the guy was so excited to buy it from me that he was willing to pay my asking price by digging for change in his car. I felt I didn't need the extra $10 and just let him take it.

One problem arose though when he noticed my Dayton 18" in the corner and wanted to hear it play. I had to tell him it was having issues, just so he wouldn't get discourage and change his mind about buying the F12. lolz
Good call!

#123 ·
OMG. The mighty Subwoofer Gods are at it again.

I deliberately ordered from a place where I can't cancel an order. Placed an order for a bic f12 at Shop (B)acon (L)ettuce (T)omato, now they want my picture ID or they going to cancel order. Wow, never heard of a company requesting this. Now I can change my mind again, geezz.

Anyways, now the klipsch rw-12d is back on sale at Oldegg. But bic f12 I can get with no tax, Oldegg charges me tax. So a klipsch rw-12d is almost the same price as two bic f12's. Two bic f12's would only be about $60 more than a single klipsch rw-12d.

Hmm....back to decision making. This is ridiculous. Thank you Subwoofer Gods for putting me in this situation.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1471965/subwoofer-noob-400-budget-single-dual/120#post_23324942

Thats a lot of open space and the RW12 is easily a better sub. Get an RW12 and then get another one later. They go on sale pretty often. If you get 2 F12s you may regret it and be stuck with them.

So would you take a single rw-12d or dual bic f12? If that is all you get, no more upgrading or adding?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.