hello. new here. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am starting to build a component system and my next move is to get a subwoofer. So far, all I have is a Yamaha RX-V1065 and a pair of B&W 685s. I'm looking into brands such as HSU, ML, B&W, etc. Anyone want to help me out? I also found a Niles SW300, for which I can't find much info at all. Anyone familiar with Niles?

Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver
Bowers & Wilkins 685 front speakers
SVS SB-1000 subwoofer
Marantz PMD350U CD/cassette player
Sony BDP-N460 Blu Ray player
Sony Bravia KDL-40V5100 flat screen TV
Wii game console
Roku 2XD internet streaming box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 02:55 AM

Liked: 801
If you go to their website, you'll find information on their subs and FWIW, the information I found would not encourage me to purchase their products.

What is your budget and what are your expectations out of your future subwoofer system?

(Is this an advertisement for Niles subwoofers?)

-
post #3 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Anyone want to help me out?
Sure:
- What's your budget range or price ceiling?
- How large (l x w x h = ???? cu.ft.) is the room your system is in?
- Is the room sealed or open to other spaces? If open, how large are those spaces?
- Any size limitations for the sub?
Quote:
I also found a Niles SW300, for which I can't find much info at all. Anyone familiar with Niles?
Not familiar with them, but a quick Google for "Niles SW300" brings up plenty of results, including:
- this product page (12" driver, 300W RMS amp, 25-160Hz +/-3dB); and
- this product overview page at Audioholics:
Quote:
... MAY 3, 2006 - Niles Audio Corporation, The First Name in Custom Installation, has introduced its first line of high-performance powered subwoofers. With four new powered subs, Niles dealers can now provide their clients with a top-to-bottom solution-from the company's in-wall, ceiling-mount, or wall-mount loudspeakers to these new robust subwoofers. ...
. . .
The SW300 is a flexible, high-performance model that uses a larger cabinet and relies on a rather substantial 300-watt power amplifier and 12-inch carbon fiber impregnated paper cone with butyl rubber surround and cast aluminum frame to deliver superior performance by reducing breakup and lowering distortion. An advanced digital amplifier design provides prodigious power with little heat, and front mounted level, phase and low pass controls allow for easy setup and adjustments. The sub features high and low level inputs with music sense and voltage trigger circuitry, and cascade audio outputs facilitate the connection of additional woofers.

As with the SW1000, the SW300 delivers a low-frequency punch and exceptional amounts of deep, tight bass. An 11-layer no void birch ply cross-braced cabinet provides the ultimate in rigidity and sound clarity and a removable metal grille provides for design and installation customization. Both models feature special circuitry that enables different settings for music and movies that can be triggered automatically from a surround sound processor or Niles IR system.
. . .
All four Niles subwoofer models are designed to deliver the right combination of performance, size, value and aesthetics to accommodate any specific job requirement. All subs feature superb build quality, which dealers have come to expect from Niles for over 28 years.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

No, this is DEFINITELY NOT an advertisement for Niles. The information in the last post is pretty much all I've found, as I was looking for users' experiences (if any). So if any one out there has used one, please feel free to enlighten me. I did mention other brands in my first post, and not limited to those either. I also have seen Sunfires that spark my interest, looking for any experiences on those and any other brand. Anyway my room is pretty small (approx. 15' X 15' X 8', give or take a bit). It opens to my kitchen on one side (opening is about 7'h X 4'w), and to a set of up-stairs on the other side (a bit diagonal from the kitchen opening). Budget-wise, I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible. After doing some research, I'm looking in the 10" to 12" size category, and I am limited on space, but will make do, if I find the right sub. Don't want anything smaller than a 10" woofer. Height is not as much an issue as width and depth are. I guess I would say I'm looking for music first, then HT, but as close as possible to each (if that makes any sense. Thanks.

Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver
SVS SB-1000 subwoofer
Wii game console
post #5 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

No, this is DEFINITELY NOT an advertisement for Niles. The information in the last post is pretty much all I've found, as I was looking for users' experiences (if any). So if any one out there has used one, please feel free to enlighten me. I did mention other brands in my first post, and not limited to those either. I also have seen Sunfires that spark my interest, looking for any experiences on those and any other brand. Anyway my room is pretty small (approx. 15' X 15' X 8', give or take a bit). It opens to my kitchen on one side (opening is about 7'h X 4'w), and to a set of up-stairs on the other side (a bit diagonal from the kitchen opening). Budget-wise, I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible. After doing some research, I'm looking in the 10" to 12" size category, and I am limited on space, but will make do, if I find the right sub. Don't want anything smaller than a 10" woofer. Height is not as much an issue as width and depth are. I guess I would say I'm looking for music first, then HT, but as close as possible to each (if that makes any sense). BTW, I'm pretty new to this, but been doing my research. Thanks.

Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver
SVS SB-1000 subwoofer
Wii game console
post #6 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM

In subwoofers it's about depth of extension (hitting those low notes), flat response and output at a given frequency, minimum standard being 20Hz to 120Hz so as to reflect what sound engineers put into the sound track.

As to music and Home Theater, Home Theater is more demanding of a subwoofer system as more is expected of the system.

As to a starting point, I don't know how much Niles subs sell for but on a budget of five hundred dollars, the reigning Top Dog is a pair of Klipsch, RW-12d's that can often be found on sale at Newegg for three hundred dollars, or less, each.

A recommendation would be to check out the budget minded sub threads and go from there.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

So are you saying two subs is better than one? So, I do want the deep bass, but I also want super quick response for music. I do a lot of browsing in eBay, so it's ok if anyone wants to recommend other speakers as well, within reason. I may go over $500 if I find a ridiculous deal. But thanks. Klipsche is a good brand then?

Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver
SVS SB-1000 subwoofer
Wii game console
post #8 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 10:32 AM

At the $300.00 price point, the Klipsch, RW-12d is the Top Dog.

As to multiple subs, the idea is to smooth out bass response and take benefit of the 6dB gain, two co-located subs provide.

Subwoofer produced sound waves bounce around a room and run into each other, cancelling or reinforcing each other; peaks and valleys if you will.

The best way to reduce interaction of this kind (smoothing) is to add a second, third or even fourth sub so as to smooth out a room's acoustical response to all these fighting sound waves.

We currently have three subs and looking to add a fourth for the purpose of smoothing out the room response to all these subwoofer created sound waves. The addition of a fourth subwoofer is no to play it loud but to smooth out the room's acoustical response to the reproduced bass content; sound quality. One can purchase the first subwoofer and as they familiarize themselves with the wonderful world of subwoofers, add subwoofers as their budget allows.

Believe it or not, subwoofers becomes a bit of a hobby as one learns about subwoofers and goes through a normal upgrade path. Buy a single on sale Klipsch, RW-12d at Newegg and go from there. One doesn't have to buy and do everything, all at once. The world of subwoofers is a journey, not a destination.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha, thank. No, I'm definitely not in a hurry. Doing this slowly. Like I said, I only have the receiver and two speakers right now. Figured the next logical move is a sub. Would I need the same sub if I added a second, third, fourth? Probably in the distant future though. Just research for now, however I will get one sub soon. Thanks, and please send more advice if it's not a bother, as I'm sure I'll have more questions. smile.gif

Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver
SVS SB-1000 subwoofer
Wii game console
post #10 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude74 View Post

Gotcha, thank. No, I'm definitely not in a hurry. Doing this slowly. Like I said, I only have the receiver and two speakers right now. Figured the next logical move is a sub. Would I need the same sub if I added a second, third, fourth? Probably in the distant future though. Just research for now, however I will get one sub soon. Thanks, and please send more advice if it's not a bother, as I'm sure I'll have more questions. smile.gif

One wants to marry equally capable subs with each other. The reason being, when one sub's capability drops out, it leaves the more capable sub to carry the load; not good.

As to additional information, based on your OP, my recommendation would be to find a complimentary center channel to go with your B&W 685's and a Klipsch, RW-12d. An additional 685 makes for an excellent center channel. With a complimentary center channel and a RW-12d subwoofer, you're well on your way to a capable Home Theater sound reproduction system that can easily be added to at a later time and point when you're better able to.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For $500 I'd go for the SVS PB1000 and skip that RW12-D. You have the money to spend on a good sub, might as well spend it.

post #12 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude74 View Post

I'm a few notches in front of you on that same upgrade curve, having taken about 4 months to assemble all the pieces for a brand new 5.1 system, the Klipsch RW-12d being my last piece about a month ago.

I built a couple of Madisound MTM fronts, then a month later added a Madisound MTM center. I played around with some cheap 2-way surround speakers, and placed those speakers all over creation, up down, upside down, sideways, just to experiment with the sound. I give my wife full credit for not divorcing me in this crazy time in this sound-system-upgrade-phase of my life.

I decided not to build my sub, as the Klipsch was highly regarded in these forums, and it fit nicely in the budget I had in mind.

I found an extra set of old Bose 301 speakers as surrounds, and they are a fantastic fit for my system. I use the sub just when I listen to music or movies, and the 4.0 set of speakers is ultra clear for speech and general TV watching.

My wife LOVES the new system because she plays the TV volume at really now levels, like on a 1 or 2, because the speech is just crystal clear. It's not what I like in terms of volume, but it's what she likes, so it's a good fit.

I still haven't told her I bought a subwoofer. rolleyes.gif

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #13 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 PM

Liked: 39
$500- SVS SB1000 or PB1000- 300 watt flat FQ response small to medium size room (based on audioholic review)

$599 B stock- SVS SB12- Sealed 400 watt sealed sub small to medium size room (based on audioholic review) **I use this for movies/music in a 15x20x10 room and set at 12oclk it shakes the room. Read the audioholics review very detailed

$649 Outlaw LFM-EX- 350 watt ported sub, recommended for large room, ideal for HT, Audioholics has a nice write up on this subwoofer as well

HSU also has some subwoofers in your price range

I am selling an Epik Legend PM if you are interested.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-14-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so the twi main choices I'm looking at right now are ML Dynamo 700W (used in excellent condition - $470) or SVS SB-1000 (new - $500). I've decided to go for a sealed cab rather than ported. I'm looking for super tight and crisp, clean bass. Music is top priority with HT second, so I need fast response and no lagging boominess. Looking for compact size as well. Thoughts?

Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver
SVS SB-1000 subwoofer
Wii game console
post #15 of 17 Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, the ML includes the wireless adaptor.

Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver
SVS SB-1000 subwoofer
Wii game console
post #16 of 17 Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Just found another that sparked my interest. Klipsche SW-308 (new - $420). Anyone try one of these at all. I'm strapped for space, so size does matter. Again, it's music first. The Klipsche seems the best for size so far. Almost bit on a Sunfire D8, but didn't happen, so moving on. As far as the ML, has anyone had experience with wireless? Seems convenient but how trustworthy? Looked at an Epik, but too big. Is the Klipsche worth the $$? I know people around here LOVE SVS, though. So many questions...

Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver
SVS SB-1000 subwoofer
Wii game console
post #17 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 08:07 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Just found another that sparked my interest. Klipsche SW-308 (new - $420). Anyone try one of these at all. I'm strapped for space, so size does matter. Again, it's music first. The Klipsche seems the best for size so far. Almost bit on a Sunfire D8, but didn't happen, so moving on. As far as the ML, has anyone had experience with wireless? Seems convenient but how trustworthy? Looked at an Epik, but too big. Is the Klipsche worth the $$? I know people around here LOVE SVS, though. So many questions...
Quote:

SVS is popular for a reason its a proven product, do the right thing wink.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page