7.2 Home Theater Subwoofer Recommendations/Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am upgrading my Home Theater to THX 9.2 w/Klipsch KL-7800's (main), KS-7800's (Sur. L/R), KS-525's (Sur. Back L/R), KL-6502 (Center), KL-6502's (presence) powered by Denon AVR-4520CI. My biggest dilemma is figuring out the best subwoofers to complete my theater. I like big, bold, house-shaking bass that is clean and not boomy. I've been rocking a Velodyne subwoofer for years which I think has been great and Velodyne does make great subwoofers but their new line is quite expensive and I heard other brand are better. In my research I've found Definitive Supercube 6000, Klipsch SW-115/SW-308/SW-310, and SVS PB12-NSD to be the best subwoofers at around $700-$900 to double up on. However, I don't have anywhere by where I live to check these out in person and all the reviews I have read online and all the audio companies I have talked to keep giving me contradicting reviews. Klipsch obviously has been an audio master for years and I really haven't heard anything bad about their subs but their wattage is low for the price. Definitive Tech's SuperCube is compact and the power output is huge but I'm very skeptic on its ability to handle the lows hard w/out distorting and still be able to really shake thinks up. Then there's SVS subwoofers which have rave reviews and even a bunch of rewards. With SVS I guess the motto is: bigger is better especially when it comes to subwoofers. Space availability is no issue for me so I don't mind. Their subs are said to be earth shakers where you feel the bass vs hearing it and that their subs can be maxed out hitting lows flawlessly w/out any distortion. So, I figured I'd hit the A/V forums myself and see if there are any people who own any of these or have any experience w/them that could help point me in the direction of which subwoofer would be best for me. My theater room dimensions are 15 x 15 with 8ft ceilings. Not sure if this matters or not but both the ceiling/walls are 3/4inch pine (not veneer or paneling) and floors are wood as well. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 743
SVS is internet direct as are many of the better choices these days for value. I'd add other ID brands such as Power Sound Audio, Hsu Research, and Rythmik to your list.

post #3 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Welcome,
You've come to the right place. There's no better single source for home adudio, Home theater information, with science as it's foundation; ie., AVScience. The contributors here are world class.

Seaton Sound, and their SubMersive HP would easily be the choice I'd make. However, you've not given an exact budget, which we need to lock down precisely where to point you to. JTR, would be another superb and highly capable mgr. The big audio companies just can't compete regarding performance/$ with the internet direct offerings. Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm, great companies with great products, however they can't touch what's offered via ID.

It's nice seeing you want two subs, as multiple subs is the path toward high performance subwoofing,...period.

Seaton
JTR
SVS
HSU
Rythmik

Budget?

Be mindful, purchasing a good sub system is merely one element, as optimizing said system to it's environment, the room, is enormously impactful on it's perfomance and blending with the mains.

If you're so inclined for a pseudo-DIY project, DIYSoundgroup offers the highest quality ready made kits with everything you need, ... merely assemble them. These represent the pinnacle of purchaseable subwoofer value.

Here's diysoundgroup, they've got two 10" subs, but the real deal 15" is an incredible performer. Erich the owner/operator, is a fellow AVS'er. If interested, he hangs in the diy sub forum here at AVS. For under $1k, one could have two quality 15" powered subs. Yes, one would need to finish to taste. The wood panels are all CNC cut ... good stuff.

Good luck, have fun

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Welcome,
You've come to the right place. There's no better single source for home adudio, Home theater information, with science as it's foundation; ie., AVScience. The contributors here are world class.

Seaton Sound, and their SubMersive HP would easily be the choice I'd make. However, you've not given an exact budget, which we need to lock down precisely where to point you to. JTR, would be another superb and highly capable mgr. The big audio companies just can't compete regarding performance/$ with the internet direct offerings. Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm, great companies with great products, however they can't touch what's offered via ID.

It's nice seeing you want two subs, as multiple subs is the path toward high performance subwoofing,...period.

Seaton
JTR
SVS
HSU
Rythmik

Budget?

Be mindful, purchasing a good sub system is merely one element, as optimizing said system to it's environment, the room, is enormously impactful on it's perfomance and blending with the mains.

If you're so inclined for a pseudo-DIY project, DIYSoundgroup offers the highest quality ready made kits with everything you need, ... merely assemble them. These represent the pinnacle of purchaseable subwoofer value.

Here's diysoundgroup, they've got two 10" subs, but the real deal 15" is an incredible performer. Erich the owner/operator, is a fellow AVS'er. If interested, he hangs in the diy sub forum here at AVS. For under $1k, one could have two quality 15" powered subs. Yes, one would need to finish to taste. The wood panels are all CNC cut ... good stuff.

Good luck, have fun

?? I left out Seaton and JTR cuz he said between 700-900 each. OTOH that giant rambling paragraph didn't help. rolleyes.gif

post #5 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys. Greatly appreciating the feedback and help. If I go w/2 subs for the 7.2 Surround my budget is about $700-$1000 each. I'd like to go w/2 subs vs one to better distribute the low frequencies. I know I can get one great/powerful subwoofer for $1500-$2000 but was told going w/2 subs from the same line w/lower output will not only better distribute the bass throughout my theater but also equal the same output/results as the top-of-the-line one above them and potentially surpass it. I'm looking into the ID companies now w/the subwoofer recommendations you've posted so far. I have little experience w/anything outside of the popular name brands/companies I listed above. It seems as though most of them are good quality however there main selling point is space-saving. As I mentioned space is not an issue. Thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 05:27 PM

I second to the Powersound Audio, they have an excellent review and have plenty of followers here. Am not an owner of any powersound product but eventually i will.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1388
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

?? I left out Seaton and JTR cuz he said between 700-900 each. OTOH that giant rambling paragraph didn't help. rolleyes.gif

LOL!
post #8 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THXMovieMaster4 View Post

Hey guys. Greatly appreciating the feedback and help. If I go w/2 subs for the 7.2 Surround my budget is about $700-$1000 each. I'd like to go w/2 subs vs one to better distribute the low frequencies. I know I can get one great/powerful subwoofer for $1500-$2000 but was told going w/2 subs from the same line w/lower output will not only better distribute the bass throughout my theater but also equal the same output/results as the top-of-the-line one above them and potentially surpass it. I'm looking into the ID companies now w/the subwoofer recommendations you've posted so far. I have little experience w/anything outside of the popular name brands/companies I listed above. It seems as though most of them are good quality however there main selling point is space-saving. As I mentioned space is not an issue. Thanks

Contact Tom @ Power Sound Audio. 2 XV15's for 1518.10 shipped will achieve reference level output down to 15hz in most rooms according to Tom. 2 HSU VTF-15's would do the same thing, but cost 1995.00 shipped. the Rythmik FV15HP is the best of the three mentioned, but they run 2573.00 shipped for the pair. Imo the XV15 is the better of the three from a bang vs buck standpoint. all three will have more output than your ears will tolerate and sound amazing doing it.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Also some great subs made available in flat packs if you have the facilities and can put them together and finish them to your liking. Great performance for the buck that way, offset by your time (free for the best bang to the buck ratio wink.gif ).

post #10 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also some great subs made available in flat packs if you have the facilities and can put them together and finish them to your liking. Great performance for the buck that way, offset by your time (free for the best bang to the buck ratio wink.gif ).

true but the flat packs are out of stock from diy group.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Quote:

true but the flat packs are out of stock from diy group.

All of them, and they're' the only source of such?

post #12 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 800
I'm sure Erich will have more sub flat packs available soon if the OP was really interested in DIY subs from diysoundgroup.com

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 14 Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha, missed the budget ... redface.gif

post #14 of 14 Old 05-13-2013, 06:33 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Contact Tom @ Power Sound Audio. 2 XV15's for 1518.10 shipped will achieve reference level output down to 15hz in most rooms according to Tom. 2 HSU VTF-15's would do the same thing, but cost 1995.00 shipped. the Rythmik FV15HP is the best of the three mentioned, but they run 2573.00 shipped for the pair. Imo the XV15 is the better of the three from a bang vs buck standpoint. all three will have more output than your ears will tolerate and sound amazing doing it.

Ref level in a bass managed system may require as much as 126dB, ... at the listening position! That is an extraordinary amount of output. Whether or not a particular sub I'm not personally familiar with can attain that level, I'll leave alone. My quad 18" IB, with a Behringer EP4000 amp, max clean output at 1m is 125dB@20hz@1m. Reference level at the LP is enormously demanding. That said, each film is mixed differently, and each film when on BluRay requires a different amount from the sub system. Some examples, Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, Flight of the Phoenix, Star Trek, The Immortals, those require ~125dB-126dB from a bass managed subwoofer system, at the listeneing position, at reference level. That requirement is enormous, when one considers that those levels must include the full bandwidth of the LFE channel ... down to 3hz, see how many systems can achieve that.

If I sat within one meter of the mouth of my quad 18" IB, I'm good to about 15hz-20hz. for ref playback of the demanding releases eek.gif

Again, be mindful that perhaps a comedy can achieve ref level, at the LP, on a particular system. However, due to the spectral content of the material, an effects laden action release would clearly require a much more capable system.

Hope this helps.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page