pink noise in SVS-SB12-NSD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This review http://www.avforums.com/reviews/SVS-SB12-NSD-Subwoofer-Review_194/Review.html
mentions a pink noise is heard with the SVS SB12. Has anyone ever experienced it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
To one degree or another, I think we all experience this phenomenon as I'm sure what he's referring to is the noise floor and at what point a system's noise floor becomes noticeable.

The author didn't mention if the subwoofer was connected to the AVR or not as even AVR's will introduce noise into a system in the form, if my thinking is correct, S/N ratio where the larger the number, the quieter the system. They also didn't mention if their test included isolation gear such as power stabilizers and ground fault isolators. If my understanding is correct, inductance can back feed noise into a circuit so someone's A/C or refrigerator next door can feed noise into a system.

Again, if my thinking is correct, normal S/N ratios are in the 96 to 105dB range and 105dB is considered neutral or black.

Maybe some who actually know what they're going on about can add to and correct any errors in my above.

A suggestion would be to give SVS a call and ask them about the comment you're asking about.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antheo View Post

This review http://www.avforums.com/reviews/SVS-SB12-NSD-Subwoofer-Review_194/Review.html
mentions a pink noise is heard with the SVS SB12. Has anyone ever experienced it ?
All electronic gear creates noise. The better the S/N ratio the less you'll hear it. Sub amps tend to have high S/N, since they don't have a wide bandwidth, and any noise tends to get filtered out along with the above bandwidth content via low pass filters. But noise occurs in every stage, and in this case what's being heard is probably sourced post-filtering, in the output devices.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page