Dual Sub Placement Diagrams - Advice Needed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of setting up my HT with a GoldenEar ForeceField 3 sub.

For it's size it is has a lot of output but it just doesn't pressurize the room and is a bit boomy. I've played around with it's placement in the available corner without much of a change. My primary issue is around how different the bass is at different seating positions. Admittedly, my couch is 14 feet wide but it wasn't a problem for my old 10" ML Dynamo with 360 watts. So, I want to even out the response in the room for most seating positions. I have my bookshelves crossed over at 60 Hz and my sub set up to support it. Audyssey was run at 7 listening spots on my couch and it turned the gain down as much as it could (-12.0 db).

So, my low-frequency experts, given what I've said above, do I:

1) Get a second sub and place one between each towers and cabinet (see Dual Subs Option 1 below)? I understand a 2nd sub is generally recommended but I worry about them cancelling each other out (but maybe I shouldn't worry about that). I don't have much space to work with between the towers and don't want to keep spreading the L and R channels out. But if it sounds good it's really only another 6"-8" total.

-or-

2) Get a second sub along the right side of the room (see Dual Sub Option 2 below)?

-or-

3) Get a larger sub in the to replace the GoldenEar sub to better pressurize and forget this dual sub nonsense?

I like the idea of dual subs and my Marantz supports it but if it doesn't sound good and address the problem I'll just get a larger sub and be done...

Your thoughts appreciated!

Pic of setup and potential dual sub placement

A few diagrams that might be helpful to answer the question....

Current setup

Dual Subs Option 1

Dual Subs Option 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 834
First, turn the gain down on the sub and rerun Audyssey so that the sub trim on your avr is closer to "0". Then see what you think. 14' wide couch? Wow.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Getting a second sub will help even out the bass in the room. There can be and mostly some cancellation but, the end result is a more even room response. If your house is an open concept style, it may be hard to pressurize the room. What size room do you have? I could not view the pic's.smile.gif

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all!

Pics updated....sorry about that.

I exaggerated - It's a 13 foot couch with two long recline areas. Awesome for watching a good movie and relaxing!

I reset the gain on the receiver to 0db and set the sub to 9 o'clock and it helped....but I still don't get much response in some areas.

The room is open on one side and the seating area is 14 ft x 14 ft with 10ft ceilings.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm not sure what you expect from a 26lb sub with an 8" driver but trying to fill that big of a room is going to be tough even with 2 of them IMO.

I expect it sounds boomy is because you have it corner loaded......my recommendation is a bigger sub and place it elsewhere.

BTW, how is the dialogue from your CC? Seems the drivers in the speaker are pointing at your knees.eek.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Your audio seems to be mostly suffering from WAF or FPI (furniture placement issues). smile.gif

Another of your same sub should be able fit along the front wall and still keep your look similar, though. It should help response across the room in any case, although still perhaps not ideal but your room doesn't give you too many options without changing furniture...

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page