PB12 NSD now, or Captivator later? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey guys, I got an interesting dilemma here.

First of all, I am a university student (once you read further you'll see why this is important)

I currently use a Logitech Z-5500 (computer speaker) as my sub. My parents want to give me a SVS PB12 NSD as a birthday present because they knows I love bass.

Now, my instinct is telling me, HELL YEAH, I WANT THIS. However, ever since I heard bass properly reproduced that shakes the room in a way that I feel like I'm in the movie, I was completely hooked, and it became one of the strongest motivator for me to do well in life (so I can afford to buy multiple captivators with nice speakers).

I purposely still use the low end Z-5500 as my subwoofer, even though I can afford to buy a good, $500-600 subwoofer, and I have a personal reason for that. In a few years down the road, when I (hopefully) get my first paycheque from working at one of the large companies I want to work for (these companies aren't easy to get in, and yes, they pay very well), I want to do a INSANE upgrade from a computer speaker sub to dual Captivators so I can get the satisfaction of "THIS is why I worked so hard for so long", which will motivate me even more to climb up the ranks, make more money, then splurge even more on audio equipment.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If the parents are offering a sub, and it'll be years till you can afford a cap then why not take the SVS and save up.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Go with whatever works for you. If holding off on buying a sub is helping motivate you in school/work, get rid of the Z-5500 and listen to just the computer speakers. tongue.gif

A quick word of caution though, if you hold off on something for a very long time, you may grow discouraged and waiver. Even if you don't, try not to build anything up too much, as even the greatest items can be disappointing in reality versus a fantasy.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #4 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I can relate to your situation. I went from the Z-5500-from which I used for almost two years before it crapped out just two weeks shy of the full refund- to using an audio interface linked to my PC that sends my sound signal to a pair of Tannoy 501A studio monitors and a PC12-NSD. The Z-5500 was bad ass for it's original price-point of $299. The replacement model of the Z-5500 sucks ass and Logitech refund department is even worse...I just got my refund 7 months after it crapped out. Now, about the updrade...you'll never go back to ANY pc speaker system...trust! Go with the PB12-NSD or the PC12 version depending on your floor space. Go with SVS in general because of their A+ customer service and warranty. Plus, you can upgrade within a year if you get the bug for more bass smile.gif. Regardless, from the Z-5500, to a PB12-NSD is a HUGE upgrade period!
post #5 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Go with the PB12 now, who knows what kind of speakers will be around in a few years.

Even with the amount of power Captivators have now they could be less than ideal 2 years from now.

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
post #6 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

Hey guys, I got an interesting dilemma here.

First of all, I am a university student (once you read further you'll see why this is important)

it became one of the strongest motivator for me to do well in life (so I can afford to buy multiple captivators with nice speakers).
Quote:
"THIS is why I worked so hard for so long", which will motivate me even more to climb up the ranks, make more money, then splurge even more on audio equipment.
Quote:
What do you guys think?

I think a few years down the road your priorities will be about things more important than making money solely to buy more audio equipment. wink.gif

To specifically answer your question; get the SVS now and save up for what you really want down the road.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #7 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I call shenanigans.

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #8 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I think a few years down the road your priorities will be about things more important than making money solely to buy more audio equipment. wink.gif

To specifically answer your question; get the SVS now and save up for what you really want down the road.

Well put, and exactly what I was thinking.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 AM

Liked: 39
buy the svs, when you can upgrade sell the svs and buy something better
post #10 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
The 12 NSD would be a great start. Take it now and then proceed when your ready. No downside that I can figure, except to go sub-less.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #11 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
... I got an interesting dilemma here. ... I am a university student ... I currently use a Logitech Z-5500 (computer speaker) as my sub. My parents want to give me a SVS PB12 NSD as a birthday present because they knows I love bass.
There's no dilemma here.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

There's no dilemma here.

Talk about your first world problems ...

Kids these days ... tongue.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #13 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Liked: 25
Exactly, there is no dilemma! My dilemma back in the day was squeezing a nearly full time workload to afford tuition whilst going to school and no doubt others had it much much worse. Your parents are offering you a 750 dollar subwoofer, accept their generous gift graciously and enjoy smile.gif and don't mention the captivators lol! As a parent I would second guess giving my kid the sub if he told me his greatest ambition upon graduation was to buy two bigger much more powerful subs. If I were you I'd ask for a pb-1000 and would put the 250 aside for a rainy day.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page