Need a SMALL, affordable subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We are just finishing the build of a sunroom (14 by 20 with a 14 high ceiling) that will serve as my main viewing room at night for movies and sports. I will also sometimes listen to music there. I need a sub (or two?) but have very strict constraints imposed by my wife. The sub can be no more than 12 inches deep because it will have to go on the bottom/floor portion of a shelf unit in the front of the room (identical shelf units will be on both sides of the TV). I can probably get away with up to 14 to 16 inches high. Wider than 12 inches is also fine, but again, given the depth of the shelf unit, going above 12 inches deep appears to be a nonstarter. What I've found so far are these options, with my concerns noted:

1. Paradigm Ultracube -- I read some great reviews but at over $1000, it's just too expensive for me.

2. Sunfire HRS10 -- pricey at $670 for B-stock, but more affordable than the Paradigm; I'm a little concerned about a thread I read on AVS about a lack of reliability with Sunfire's products and it's also still more than the budget.

3. Earthquake CP8 -- it's very reasonably priced but I can't find any reviews; I could get two of these for the price of the Sunfire and stick one under the couch or have both up front on either side of the TV on the floor level of the shelf units (although two of them will still wind up being more than I was hoping to spend).

4. SVS SB-1000 -- I'm really interested in the sub, but at 13 inches deep, it's one inch deeper than the shelving units in the front of the room, so it does not meet my wife's list of demands. I may try to talk her into it.

Does anyone have thoughts on the options above and do you have any other recommendations for any other quality sub that won't break the bank and is no more than 12 inches deep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Google 'Hoffman's Iron Law' and proper methods of subwoofer placement. Both are diametrically opposed to WAF. You can make the wife happy or you can have good sound. Seldom the twain do meet.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Klipsch sw308 is a little too deep but it will work if you turn it sideways. Which won't make a difference.

A pair if them would be decent.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
post #5 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Buy whatever you want...

...and when it shows up go "well wtf...that's not what I thought it was! It's $xxx (throw out a large amount here) to ship it back so I guess it would make sense just to keep it"

DONE! biggrin.gif

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #6 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
If you're not opposed to DIY, you can build a couple of subs to fit in your space if that's your only option. A pair of Infinity Reference 1262Ws, sheet of MDF, random small accessories and Behringer EP2000 amp should be under $500 assuming you have the tools and rudimentary skills required to build a box. The nicer you want it to look, the more skills required.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Buy whatever you want...

...and when it shows up go "well wtf...that's not what I thought it was! It's $xxx ... to ship it back so I guess it would make sense just to keep it"

DONE! biggrin.gif
Yeah, that! wink.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

If you're not opposed to DIY, you can build a couple of subs to fit in your space if that's your only option. A pair of Infinity Reference 1262Ws, sheet of MDF, random small accessories and Behringer EP2000 amp should be under $500 assuming you have the tools and rudimentary skills required to build a box. The nicer you want it to look, the more skills required.

Yeah that would work!

Quote:
Buy whatever you want...

...and when it shows up go "well wtf...that's not what I thought it was! It's $xxx (throw out a large amount here) to ship it back so I guess it would make sense just to keep it"

DONE!

Also a good idea smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #9 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
EDIT -- My wife just called me and caved on the front shelf unit. It will now be 18 inches deep, so the SVS sub will fit, as will other options that I can research by reading other threads. I'll have slack in the sub cord so I can move the sub to a better place temporarily, if necessary, for movie viewing or critical listening, then return it to the shelf so the room stays pretty for the wife. Thanks to all for your help
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page