Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Its an HSU VTF2 MK3.

The sub has been sitting in its box since oct 2012 because of lost job/house. Had to move into a condo where it cant be used, plus there is no room there to set it up or setup any kind of a home theater for that matter. This is a 1 year lease and in total i will be looking at a yr and a half MINIMUM before i get into house, and thats another 9 months to go.

So until then, its just going to sit and collect dust.

I have 2 choices: I always wanted to get an SVS pb13 ultra and thats what i want to save up for so...

Should i sell the VTF and save for the ultra later on down the line - OR- keep the VTF and also get the PB13 ultra and use BOTH?

Im leaning towards sell as im not sure how practical 2 subs would be FOR ME, as i think the SVS would more than enough for my tastes.

If anyone can give me a realistic selling price on the VTF that would be great. Its about 4 yrs old and never really pushed and its in excellent condition, not a scratch. I'm in glendale, az.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 05-25-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 471
I wouldn't use it with a PB13, the PB13 will overpower it badly. I would sell it. I think maybe around $400 is a fair price for a 4 yr old VTF2 in excellent condition. By the way, there are better bangs for the buck than the PB13 nowadays, check out the Rythmik FV15HP. Spend a little more and you can get something that will really blow it away like a Seaton Submersive or maybe a dual PSA XS30 setup.
post #3 of 53 Old 05-25-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I wouldn't use it with a PB13, the PB13 will overpower it badly. I would sell it. I think maybe around $400 is a fair price for a 4 yr old VTF2 in excellent condition. By the way, there are better bangs for the buck than the PB13 nowadays, check out the Rythmik FV15HP. Spend a little more and you can get something that will really blow it away like a Seaton Submersive or maybe a dual PSA XS30 setup.

Yeah thats what i thought too. I dont want to go duals, go any larger than 15'' or spend any more than 2k max, and arent in the position to do a DIY. Im pretty limited with what i can do, i just want to buy and plug in. Arent seatons DIY's? I dont know, i never looked into them. I've checked out the Rythmik FV15HP before, i wasnt crazy about the reviews in the sub shootout thread.
post #4 of 53 Old 05-25-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Seatons are not DIY, however they are about $2500 shipped. Supposedly, it's a big step up from the PB13.
post #5 of 53 Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Seatons are not DIY, however they are about $2500 shipped. Supposedly, it's a big step up from the PB13.

Thats a little more than im wanting to spend, i need to keep it @ 2k or under, its going to take long enough as it is to save that much.
post #6 of 53 Old 05-25-2013, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post

Yeah thats what i thought too. I dont want to go duals, go any larger than 15'' or spend any more than 2k max, and arent in the position to do a DIY. Im pretty limited with what i can do, i just want to buy and plug in. Arent seatons DIY's? I dont know, i never looked into them. I've checked out the Rythmik FV15HP before, i wasnt crazy about the reviews in the sub shootout thread.

Such a shame you don't want to go for duals or more for with a budget like your above, you could get three Rythmik, LV12R's or three PSA, XS15's. Sticking with the 15" theme, you could get two Rythmik, F12's. Or, when in stock, you could get a pair of XV30's (b-stock). And if you just have to stick with a single subwoofer box, you can pick up either a XS30 or an XV30 and then there's the newly announced, PSA, XV30f.

Oh the possibilities a $2k budget brings to mind.
post #7 of 53 Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM

Liked: 32
If you have the time...which you do, save the money go DIY. You'll get more for less PLUS the satisfaction it is uniquely yours. cool.gif
post #8 of 53 Old 05-25-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

If you have the time...which you do, save the money go DIY. You'll get more for less PLUS the satisfaction it is uniquely yours. cool.gif

Ha i wish i had the time now. With the new job and travel time my day is 12-13 hrs long, plus i have a 2 yr old to look after. I wouldn't mind going DIY but its not feasable at this point. Maybe ill look into it more though after some thought.
post #9 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 08:22 AM

I just meant you don't have to have a sub today... wink.gif
post #10 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just meant you don't have to have a sub today... wink.gif

Well i do technically biggrin.gif

But i do see what you mean. Maybe I'll look into a DIY kit, we'll see.
post #11 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 AM

IF you are located near Sprinboro OH (South Dayton-ish), PE has an annual tent sale where you can get EVERYTHING you need (and ALOT you don't! wink.gif ) on the cheap! This is how I got my subs built. Cabinet that has some scratches, with cutouts, $25!!! Normally $150 drivers...$89!!! The parametric EQ 500 watt plate amps? $89!!!! I can guarantee that my subs will easily match $1000 subs from the big box stores and most ID stores as well. IF you live near enough anyway...I didn't go last year but I'll certainly be there this year! cool.gif

Heck, they are having a nice Memorial day sale right now even: http://www.parts-express.com/
post #12 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:

IF you are located near Sprinboro OH (South Dayton-ish), PE has an annual tent sale where you can get EVERYTHING you need (and ALOT you don't! wink.gif ) on the cheap!

Lucky guy. rolleyes.gif

You know you're a nerd when you'd be willing to drive a hour, just to wander around a bunch of tables loaded with electronic parts and see what's what with what. You know you're really a nerd when you can't and you're envious of those who can.

...tongue.gif

-
post #13 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

Well i do technically biggrin.gif

But i do see what you mean. Maybe I'll look into a DIY kit, we'll see.

The dark side is ready for you. wink.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #14 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46
For slightly over 2K, check out the JTR Captivator S1. That would demolish the PB13. Nevermind, I just saw you did not want to go over 15" for some reason. The footprint of the S1 is smaller than most 15" subs.
post #15 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

IF you are located near Sprinboro OH (South Dayton-ish), PE has an annual tent sale where you can get EVERYTHING you need (and ALOT you don't! wink.gif ) on the cheap! This is how I got my subs built. Cabinet that has some scratches, with cutouts, $25!!! Normally $150 drivers...$89!!! The parametric EQ 500 watt plate amps? $89!!!! I can guarantee that my subs will easily match $1000 subs from the big box stores and most ID stores as well. IF you live near enough anyway...I didn't go last year but I'll certainly be there this year! cool.gif

Heck, they are having a nice Memorial day sale right now even: http://www.parts-express.com/

Unfortunately im in glendale az.
post #16 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 PM

Not until July 1st week I think so plenty of time for a road trip! cool.gif
post #17 of 53 Old 05-26-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not until July 1st week I think so plenty of time for a road trip! cool.gif

Sorry, I'll have to pass
post #18 of 53 Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No other suggestions, anyone?
post #19 of 53 Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Should i sell the VTF and save for the ultra later on down the line - OR- keep the VTF and also get the PB13 ultra and use BOTH?
Sell your VTF, save up for a bigger/better sub, and when you're ready to buy in about a year's time, see what (current and new) models of subs will meet your budget (and other criteria) at that time.
post #20 of 53 Old 05-28-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Sell your VTF, save up for a bigger/better sub, and when you're ready to buy in about a year's time, see what (current and new) models of subs wil meet your budget (and other criteria) at that time.

Makes sense. I'll probably be looking in about 6 months or so. Meanwhile, I'll have to put an ad in the classifieds.
post #21 of 53 Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:

No other suggestions, anyone?

Just the obvious which is, set the sub up and be happy. Based on your OP, that's a lot of time without a subwoofer. In my opinion, if one can go that long of time, without need for a subwoofer, in real terms, you might as well sell it cause in my opinion, you really don't need a subwoofer.

I "need" a subwoofer and even if we were in a home for only three or four months, if I were to set up the rest of the Home Theater gear, the subwoofer would be set up also as it's nothing more than plugging it in and running the AVR provided calibration program. Having a subwoofer adds so much to the Home Theater experience.

Maybe you'd be better served by a pair of SVS, PC-12 NSD's as opposed to one PC-13 Ultra. That way you could sell your existing sub and fiscally, it will be easier to upgrade to a pair of PC-12, NSD's and half-stepping like this would be easier on the budget and give you the immediate gratification of an upgraded subwoofer system but not so big so as to blow all your neighbors out.
post #22 of 53 Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Just the obvious which is, set the sub up and be happy. Based on your OP, that's a lot of time without a subwoofer. In my opinion, if one can go that long of time, without need for a subwoofer, in real terms, you might as well sell it cause in my opinion, you really don't need a subwoofer.

I "need" a subwoofer and even if we were in a home for only three or four months, if I were to set up the rest of the Home Theater gear, the subwoofer would be set up also as it's nothing more than plugging it in and running the AVR provided calibration program. Having a subwoofer adds so much to the Home Theater experience.

Maybe you'd be better served by a pair of SVS, PC-12 NSD's as opposed to one PC-13 Ultra. That way you could sell your existing sub and fiscally, it will be easier to upgrade to a pair of PC-12, NSD's and half-stepping like this would be easier on the budget and give you the immediate gratification of an upgraded subwoofer system but not so big so as to blow all your neighbors out.

Well i dont think anyone really needs a sub but it sure is nice to have one. biggrin.gif

At the moment i dont even have a living room so there is nowhere to set up anything anyway, but that doesn't mean I WANT to go without a sub. Not being able to use one now is fine for the time being.

I want to avoid multiple subs to be honest, at least for the near future, tbats ehy i was looking at the SVS ultra, because the reviews are stellar and it would probably suit my needs if not more than.
post #23 of 53 Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Well i dont think anyone really needs a sub but it sure is nice to have one. biggrin.gif

Sound engineers, master movie sound tracks well below 20Hz and one needs a subwoofer if they expect to hear those sound tracks accurately reproduced. Mains, center channel and the surrounds only go down so far and AVR transformers are also output limited. There's a lot of bass below what speakers are capable of reproducing. It's one of those, you're out of luck if you don't have a subwoofer, which is why, "everybody" who cares about Home Theater sound tracks, "needs" a subwoofer.

One doesn't have multiple subs to go loud but instead, needs multiple subs to smooth out a room's acoustical response to the bass sound waves a subwoofer system reproduces.

-
post #24 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM

I "NEED" TWO subs! wink.gif
post #25 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I "NEED" TWO subs! wink.gif

Would be nice! Probably not in the budget for a while yet. frown.gif
post #26 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Would be nice! Probably not in the budget for a while yet. frown.gif

The good news, unlike speakers, subwoofers can be added to as the budget allows. Today, one has one subwoofer. Come X-Mas, a birthday or income tax refund time, a second sub is added and gee, the following year, one can add a third subwoofer.

Currently, we have three subwoofers and when we can, I'll upgrade the subwoofers we have, one subwoofer at a time as the budget will not allow for upgrading all three subwoofers at one time.

In my opinion, subwoofers are a hobby, not a destination as I don't have enough money to simply throw ten grand at the problem, be done and off to the yacht harbor for an evening's tailgate party of lobster and champagne.
post #27 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

OK who said that!! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #28 of 53 Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member