Klipsch RW-12d or upgrade to Rythmik LV12R or HSU VTF-2 Mk4? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Or even something I haven't considered yet?

I live in an apartment and want to get a sub as I only have a set of Cambridge S30's hooked up to a Denon 2112CI. They are awesome little bookshelves but I need some bass for music and HT smile.gif
I have wood floors and don't want to disturb the downstairs neighbor too much but its time for some more bass in my life!!

Typically for an apartment I have a joined living area and kitchen which is 23 x 13 = 2392cuft

I was looking at the Klipsch as everyone seems to be recommending it its sale price as being really good value for money.
Just wondering if the upgrade to the other 2 is going to be worth it if I can't really crank the volume up very high?

Klipsch RW-12d - $279-349
Rythmik LV12R (B-stock) - $529
HSU VTF-2 Mk4 - $596.00

RW-12d - 19.2" H x 14.6" W x 21" D
LV12R - 22" H x 16" W x 19" D
VTF-2 - 22.5" H x 15" W x 22.75" D

I also don't have a huge amount of space and it will be right beside my couch in the corner of the room. So back right if seated.
I can only go to about 17" wide and 34" deep if I used all of the space, so have been looking at smaller subs that have a thinner profile.

Any advice appreciated biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Any of those subs will transmit sound through the walls. If you have the kind of walls where you can hear the neighbors easily, you might just skip a subwoofer if you want to be considerate, seriously. Instead of a sub, get some speakers with good extension like some tower speakers. If you like the sound of the Cambridge s30 speakers, you might just upgrade to the Cambridge s70 tower speakers. You might also just think about getting the Klipsch, because if it turns out you can't really use your sub as much as you like, well at least you won't have spent as much on it as if you had bought the Rythmik or Hsu.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Are you planing on staying in this apartment long term?

Any of those subwoofers will give you the bass your looking for..if your open to upgrading to some nice towers now and get a subwoofer later when you move in to a more bass friendly living area...that would be something to consider...
post #4 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 06:27 PM

Liked: 801
Of the three choices, the Rythmik, LV12R. We have three RW-12d's and the LV12R is definitely the better choice for both output and depth of extension.

One way to handle the apartment situation, if on good terms with the neighbors, knock on their door on a movie night and let them know you want to crank it up and if it's a bother, for them to let you know. Keeping neighbors in the sound loop goes a long way in keeping good relations as that way they don't feel you're being inconsiderate or taking advantage.

If renting a movie, it never hurts to share the disk when you can with the understanding that if they damage it, it's their responsibility to replace it. As I'm sure you know, when one shares, it makes people want to be cooperative and do the same.

Go with the Rythmik. biggrin.gif

-
post #5 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

One good thing is there aren't any adjoining walls where the sub will sit. It's probably going to be the downstair neighbor more than anything.
Definitely not staying here more than a year or two, so if I buy something I do want it to last me into the next place.

I have been considering a tower speaker upgrade and was looking at the Ascend CMT340's with the bases to turn them into towers.
Will these provide enough bass or should I be looking at something with a bit more bottom end?

Great idea keeping the neighbors happy as well smile.gif

Thanks for the replies
post #6 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't mistaken the CMT-340s for full range speakers, they aren't. They will go down to around 50 hz, and will certainly have more bass authority than your s30s, but they are not the speakers to get for bass extension. One speaker that I thought had very good bass was the Polk Rti A9. I rip on Polk a lot, but I can't deny those towers had very good bass and they are pretty affordable. Moving up in price, there are other speakers with great bass extension, like the Klipsch R7s and the KEF Q900s.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'd go with the Rythmik myself. The FV12 isn't much to look at, but it digs deep, has output, and sounds fabulous.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Liked: 12
I cannot speak on the Kipsch or HSU subs, but I own an LV12R and could not be happier with it. It sounds great with my Infinity bookshelf speakers. I was worried it might be too "boomy" with music, especially paired with bookshelf speakers, but it sounds awesome.

I was looking at the same options as you are. I ruled out the Klipsch because the specs on the other two are better (which makes sense given the price difference), and I didn't want to cheat myself out of some LFE to save a couple hundred bucks.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of the other two subs. I ended up going with Rythmik over HSU for a few reasons, the main one being the direct servo technology that seems to make the sub more accurate and I use my sub for at least 50% music. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a "marketing term" and direct servo doesn't make that much of a difference but as I said - I couldn't be happier with my choice and the thing sounds awesome.

One thing to consider with the HSU is that it is down-firing. I'm not sure how much difference that makes with bass frequencies, but since you seem concerned about a downstairs neighbor, it is worth pointing out.

post #9 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumpwitch View Post

I'm not sure how much difference that makes with bass frequencies, but since you seem concerned about a downstairs neighbor, it is worth pointing out.

Like a hammer beating on the floor, Fluid dynamics says it will matter but to make my detractors happy, we'll pretend fluid dynamics are not a part of the physical Universe.

LOL!

-
post #10 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 PM

Liked: 42
The Hsu sub is actually on sale for 529 right now if that matters...
post #11 of 12 Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Don't mistaken the CMT-340s for full range speakers, they aren't. They will go down to around 50 hz, and will certainly have more bass authority than your s30s, but they are not the speakers to get for bass extension. One speaker that I thought had very good bass was the Polk Rti A9. I rip on Polk a lot, but I can't deny those towers had very good bass and they are pretty affordable. Moving up in price, there are other speakers with great bass extension, like the Klipsch R7s and the KEF Q900s.

Hmmm, there's an idea, I could take the money + sell off my S30's and go for some full range towers for $800-1000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

The Hsu sub is actually on sale for 529 right now if that matters...

$596 is cost including shipping to NY
post #12 of 12 Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

The s30a are highly sought after, so you should have no problem selling them for a good price, provided they are in good condition.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page