amazing subwoofer i heard the other day - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i did not even pay attention to what brand it was, but i saw it in a show room and it was playing at low volume and it sounded incredible. you could FEEL the bass vibrating in your chest even at very low volume levels. the bass was so clean and rich i cant even put it into words. any way, what subs that any of you know of can produce this clean, body vibrating bass at such a low volume level? ive never heard a sub that could do this. all i know is... it was over 4grand i think. i have 5 cerwin vega 12in speakers in my room and i cant even get the bass that sub produced. it made me realize how powerful the sub really was.

any ideas on what sub it could of been? what other subs can do this? i really want one

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
rolleyes.gif

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Cerwin Vega's are generally shooting for ridiculous output in the 40hz area which takes high efficiency and decent power handling.

The sub you were listening to may very well have been outputting at 20hz and lower which would provide a lot more of a rumbling feel rather than just loud bass. 20hz requires a lot more speaker movement that most Cerwin Vega woofers don't seem to have.

Once you get down to the 20hz range bass becomes difficult to hear but you still feel it (or see things falling off of shelves tongue.gif )

It would be difficult to say exactly what subwoofer you we're listening to though because there are likely a couple dozen subs around that price range that can provide that same kind of bass.

The good news is that 4000$ is quite a bit past the point of diminishing returns, especially if you look into internet direct companies like Svs, Hsu, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio, etc.

You can probably shave off a couple thousand dollars that way and still be in the ballpark of sound quality and depth, even the 500 dollar Svs subs would be a pleasant surprise for deep bass extension compared to many Cerwin Vegas.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 AM

Liked: 15
Not to mention, any sub can be made to output tons of bass at low volume if you crank up the sub and lfe channel. But, that is not how things were meant to be listened to.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnerb View Post

Not to mention, any sub can be made to output tons of bass at low volume if you crank up the sub and lfe channel. But, that is not how things were meant to be listened to.

If the subwoofer lfe was cranked up then the sub would be outputting at high volume.

If a subwoofer is playing notes below human hearing with authority it can give the appearance that it is doing more at a lower volume because you don't have to crank 20hz as much as 40hz to feel the bass.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

well could an hsu vtf15h do this, or would i need something like this?http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/view/xtreme-hd

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotInvolved View Post

well could an hsu vtf15h do this, or would i need something like this?http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/view/xtreme-hd
One can't say without knowing what it was that you heard.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Could be one of thedual driver JL Audios or the Paradigm six-driver jobs... They push out a lot of bass at 20Hz. The price range is about right.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #9 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

If you haven't heard anything other than Cerwin Vegas lately, you might want to start a little lower on the spectrum to figure out where the diminishing returns point is.

If you've got more cash than you know what to do with then by all means buy whatever you want, but performance wise you can probably still do better with internet direct companies in the 4000$ price range.

You might try out an Svs, Hsu, Outlaw etc and see what that does for you before spending 6x more.

And please find out what that sub was or recommendations are a complete shot in dark.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

If you haven't heard anything other than Cerwin Vegas lately, you might want to start a little lower on the spectrum to figure out where the diminishing returns point is.

If you've got more cash than you know what to do with then by all means buy whatever you want, but performance wise you can probably still do better with internet direct companies in the 4000$ price range.

You might try out an Svs, Hsu, Outlaw etc and see what that does for you before spending 6x more.

And please find out what that sub was or recommendations are a complete shot in dark.

as much as i love cerwin vegas speakers, i dont like their subs. they go down to like 35hz and that not very good for a 600 dollar sub. their speakers go lower than the subs...
i want a hsu or a svs. ill save up and see what my options are

yamaha rxv375
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Cerwin Vega Hed Series Subwoofer , Cerwin Vega Cmx 212 12in 4 Way Floor Powered Speaker Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page