SVS PB-1000 vs. SB-1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I understand that each one is directed towards different audiences, but which one is better for what? Which would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 126
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439755/new-svs-sb1000-pb1000-subwoofers
post #3 of 12 Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

You want me to guess where to find the answer to my question in there?
post #4 of 12 Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 PM

Liked: 117
From what I've read on here sealed subs are usually better regarded for music whereas ported are better for home theater.

Sealed subs also extend to lower frequencies than ported but ported will usually have more output.

I suppose it really depends on what you plan to use it for and how well you can distinguish the differences between the 2.

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
post #5 of 12 Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well I mostly do a lot of gaming. While gaming will be number one, I also really like watching movies and listening to music (pretty much equally, not one more than the other.)

For my other speakers I have two RTi A7s, a CSi A6, and two FXi A4s. At the moment I'm using the subwoofer from my old Polk RM6750 5.1 speaker set, so I know either the PB or the SB would both me a pretty big upgrade either way.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

From what I've read on here sealed subs are usually better regarded for music whereas ported are better for home theater.

Sealed subs also extend to lower frequencies than ported but ported will usually have more output.

I suppose it really depends on what you plan to use it for and how well you can distinguish the differences between the 2.

correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is a sealed sub will only extend lower when properly matched with the room...for instance in a 3500^3 room I highly doubt the sb1000 will extend lower than the pb1000 +/-3db. however in a 1500^3 room chances are it will extend significantly lower.

that being said I would skip both those options and go with the Rythmik LV12R.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-28-2013, 11:27 PM

Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is a sealed sub will only extend lower when properly matched with the room...for instance in a 3500^3 room I highly doubt the sb1000 will extend lower than the pb1000 +/-3db. however in a 1500^3 room chances are it will extend significantly lower.

that being said I would skip both those options and go with the Rythmik LV12R.

You're probably right but specifics weren't given on room size and I was just trying to give a little bit of a better answer than "read a 30 page thread and find out" smile.gif
Mithoz likes this.

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
post #8 of 12 Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRenton View Post

Well I mostly do a lot of gaming. While gaming will be number one, I also really like watching movies and listening to music (pretty much equally, not one more than the other.)

For my other speakers I have two RTi A7s, a CSi A6, and two FXi A4s. At the moment I'm using the subwoofer from my old Polk RM6750 5.1 speaker set, so I know either the PB or the SB would both me a pretty big upgrade either way.

Please describe your room size and layout, the proposed location for the subwoofer, the distance from the subwoofer to the listening position, your typical playback level for gaming and action movies, subjectively how much slam/impact/pressure you want on LFE scenes and if you have any size/weight/footprint restrictions for the subwoofer. Thanks.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #9 of 12 Old 05-29-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

The room is 21' x 12' and the ceiling is just over 7' high. I have my TV placed against one of the 12' walls. One of the 21' walls is VERY open (in fact, there isn't much wall between the rooms at all) to another room of what I guess would be the same size. I have the subwoofer placed a little bit ahead of my front speakers, against the left wall. It's around 9' from my listening position. I'd like to be able to feel the low end, but I'm not looking to shake my room or anything.

I know my room isn't exactly ideal, but this is the room I'm given for this stuff until I move out next year. From how I described my room, I think the PB is probably the obvious choice (though I could be wrong, I'm not as educated as I'd like to be when it comes to home theater speakers), but the problem is that I want the detail of the low end sound for music, which from what I understand so far, the SB is good for. I'm a bass guitarist myself and I play a bit of drums, so it's something I tend to notice a lot. I still want the feeling and the lower sounds for movies though, so I feel like I have to choose between one or the other and can't get the best of both worlds. What is the PB like for music?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, size doesn't really matter. I don't want something huge, but I'll have no problem fitting a PB if I have to. Also, I probably watch TV, play games, watch movies, and listen to music a little bit louder than the average person, but nothing crazy loud. I've had neighbors before that if I went outside of my house I could hear the music from inside of their house pretty clearly, and I know I don't plan on having it loud like that.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRenton View Post

The room is 21' x 12' and the ceiling is just over 7' high. I have my TV placed against one of the 12' walls. One of the 21' walls is VERY open (in fact, there isn't much wall between the rooms at all) to another room of what I guess would be the same size. I have the subwoofer placed a little bit ahead of my front speakers, against the left wall. It's around 9' from my listening position. I'd like to be able to feel the low end, but I'm not looking to shake my room or anything.

I know my room isn't exactly ideal, but this is the room I'm given for this stuff until I move out next year. From how I described my room, I think the PB is probably the obvious choice (though I could be wrong, I'm not as educated as I'd like to be when it comes to home theater speakers), but the problem is that I want the detail of the low end sound for music, which from what I understand so far, the SB is good for. I'm a bass guitarist myself and I play a bit of drums, so it's something I tend to notice a lot. I still want the feeling and the lower sounds for movies though, so I feel like I have to choose between one or the other and can't get the best of both worlds. What is the PB like for music?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, size doesn't really matter. I don't want something huge, but I'll have no problem fitting a PB if I have to. Also, I probably watch TV, play games, watch movies, and listen to music a little bit louder than the average person, but nothing crazy loud. I've had neighbors before that if I went outside of my house I could hear the music from inside of their house pretty clearly, and I know I don't plan on having it loud like that.

Given the room size, open layout and wide range of applications and source material, I agree the PB-1000 is the best choice. As owners will attest, the PB-1000 is no slouch on music - it has a flat frequency response, low distortion and good bandwidth linearity - so it will sound accurate on all source material. While you might give the edge to the SB-1000 for a strictly music application, a properly designed bass reflex subwoofer can/will perform very well on music too.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #11 of 12 Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your time! I think I'll get the PB-1000 as soon as I sell my old speakers. Is shipping free from www.sonicboomaudio.com? If not, how much is it?
post #12 of 12 Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Is shipping free from www.sonicboomaudio.com? If not, how much is it?
Shipping isn't free. To find out how much it is to your location, click on "Estimate shipping?" here (the SBA shopping cart page for the PB-1000) and fill in the required info (incl. postal code).
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio Rti A7 Floorstanding Speaker , Polk Audio Fxi A4 Surround Speakers Pair Black , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio Csi A6 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Rm6750 5 1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System Set Of Six Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page