I need the best home theater sub-woofer for a specific genre of music (HARD TRANCE) Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the best type, brand, and model of subwoofer for electronic music, specifically hard trance music (i.e Kidd Koas - Control Interference or Josh Lang - Drop the pressure)?

I hear I should look for front-firing and non-ported for this specific style of music, but I don't know what to look for beyond that. I would like to hear other options, opinions and reasoning. I'm also on a budget and would prefer to spend 500ish.

I already have a decent sub for movies, I'm not looking for depth, I'm looking for the tightest and cleanest bass possible in that price range. I'm willing to go up 100 bucks if I have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 90
SVS and Aperion have sealed subs in this price range. That said, I would still take the Rythmik FV12R even though it is ported. Rythmik also has sealed versions, but they cost substantially more.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by atweak View Post

What is the best type, brand, and model of subwoofer for electronic music, specifically hard trance music (i.e Kidd Koas - Control Interference or Josh Lang - Drop the pressure)?

I hear I should look for front-firing and non-ported for this specific style of music, but I don't know what to look for beyond that. I would like to hear other options, opinions and reasoning. I'm also on a budget and would prefer to spend 500ish.

I already have a decent sub for movies, I'm not looking for depth, I'm looking for the tightest and cleanest bass possible in that price range. I'm willing to go up 100 bucks if I have to.

How high do you want to raise the room?

A good start would be the aforementioned, Rythmik, LV12R but with bass and large rooms, more is better and better and better.

-
post #4 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:

What sub do you currently have for movies??? The reason I ask is a lot of todays internet direct brand subs can sound excellent for both movies and music. With that said would you be willing to sell your current sub and use that extra cash ontop of the $500 to $600? If so you may want to check out Power Sound Audio XV-15 or XS-15. Never heard either of them but they get amazing reviews and PSA has exceptional customer service.

Shawn
post #5 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Trance bass doesn't dig that deep, so I would go for SPL and sound quality. This is one instance where deep bass porting isn't going to help. If it were me, I would go for either this kit or this kit. If the Klipsch RW-12d were on sale, I would say go for a pair of those, they might not be as sharp as those Dayton kits but the room mode smoothing is a bigger boost in overall sound quality than any overhang from ports that you would get from the Klipsch. As for the Dayton kits, those ought to hit pretty hard, they have very good drivers and a robust amp. The assembly itself is very easy, seriously, watch the video, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and a half hour. I think those subs would be a lot better than the sealed 12"s you can get from SVS and Emotiva for the same price, both of which show some pretty strict limited and will never hit any decent SPLs. The PSA XS15 ought to be pretty good too, although $115 over you max budget of $600.

Another direction you might look at is live sound subwoofers. These don't dig very deep but boy do they get loud. Some of them require separate amplification, but cheap amps can be bought off of ebay and the whole package will still be under $600. You can get something like this Behringer which will make your ears give up before it does. That will have enough extension for most trance and also the monster SPLs you get at actual clubs. Get a separate amp and you can have this 18" beat from JBL. That will make the kick drums feel like someone is actually kicking you in the chest. Here is its more robust big brother for $500, if you are feeling really hardcore. Here is a self-powered Mackie for $700 if you want live sound 18" SPLs but don't feel like screwing around with a separate amp.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

SVS and Aperion have sealed subs in this price range. That said, I would still take the Rythmik FV12R even though it is ported. Rythmik also has sealed versions, but they cost substantially more.
I'm looking into the FV12r. Looks like a nice sub in my price range. You say the port is an issue?
post #7 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

haha I like that you and Shady are feelin me on the bass hit I'm looking for, unfortunately I rock too hard. I do live in an apt, albiet it's basement level and the neighbor directly above me is the only one I have to worry about and he's gone most of the day.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

@flickhtguru Right now I'm using the Klipsch sub12hg cuz it was only 300 on Amazon down from 500. Why do they do that anyways? Sell so cheap for so long? Is it cuz it's a discontinued model and they're trying to cut their losses?
post #9 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Trance bass doesn't dig that deep, so I would go for SPL and sound quality. This is one instance where deep bass porting isn't going to help. If it were me, I would go for either this kit or this kit. If the Klipsch RW-12d were on sale, I would say go for a pair of those, they might not be as sharp as those Dayton kits but the room mode smoothing is a bigger boost in overall sound quality than any overhang from ports that you would get from the Klipsch. As for the Dayton kits, those ought to hit pretty hard, they have very good drivers and a robust amp. The assembly itself is very easy, seriously, watch the video, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and a half hour. I think those subs would be a lot better than the sealed 12"s you can get from SVS and Emotiva for the same price, both of which show some pretty strict limited and will never hit any decent SPLs. The PSA XS15 ought to be pretty good too, although $115 over you max budget of $600.

Another direction you might look at is live sound subwoofers. These don't dig very deep but boy do they get loud. Some of them require separate amplification, but cheap amps can be bought off of ebay and the whole package will still be under $600. You can get something like this Behringer which will make your ears give up before it does. That will have enough extension for most trance and also the monster SPLs you get at actual clubs. Get a separate amp and you can have this 18" beat from JBL. That will make the kick drums feel like someone is actually kicking you in the chest. Here is its more robust big brother for $500, if you are feeling really hardcore. Here is a self-powered Mackie for $700 if you want live sound 18" SPLs but don't feel like screwing around with a separate amp.

Live sound subwoofers aren't nearly as good in sound quality and don't generally go as low in hz as mid and high end home subs. I know because I HAVE the Alto ts sub15 and it it's 600rms but only goes down to 37 hz (I don't care about subsonic levels, but i'd at least like to make it into the 20s), it's an achiever when it comes to SPL, but I don't use it for listening to music in my apt cuz it's just not a very good listening experience in a tiny apt. My living room area btw is a meager 15 x like 17 ft space with an 8 ft ceiling. I'm looking for very well defined tonality and fidelity in the bass or whatever adjectives are a better choice, live sound subs (unless you go really high-end) can't match the definition of home subs. Also, I'm afraid to push this Klipsch btw cuz it's soo boomy with it's big ole porthole, the bass isn't very tight at alll, I'm literally afraid i'll break it blasting 145 bpm hard trance at like high volumes. It's great for movies though.

These kits look very interesting. Literally just a disassembled subwoofer but with respectable specs. The cost savings is from the assembly (or lack there of) no?
post #10 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

haha I like that you and Shady are feelin me on the bass hit I'm looking for, unfortunately I rock too hard. I do live in an apt, albiet it's basement level and the neighbor directly above me is the only one I have to worry about and he's gone most of the day.
Unfortunately i *cannot rock too hard.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Live sound subwoofers aren't nearly as good in sound quality and don't generally go as low in hz as mid and high end home subs. I know because I HAVE the Alto ts sub15 and it it's 600rms but only goes down to 37 hz (I don't care about subsonic levels, but i'd at least like to make it into the 20s), it's an achiever when it comes to SPL, but I don't use it for listening to music in my apt cuz it's just not a very good listening experience in a tiny apt. My living room area btw is a meager 15 x like 17 ft space with an 8 ft ceiling. I'm looking for very well defined tonality and fidelity in the bass or whatever adjectives are a better choice, live sound subs (unless you go really high-end) can't match the definition of home subs. Also, I'm afraid to push this Klipsch btw cuz it's soo boomy with it's big ole porthole, the bass isn't very tight at alll, I'm literally afraid i'll break it blasting 145 bpm hard trance at like high volumes. It's great for movies though.

These kits look very interesting. Literally just a disassembled subwoofer but with respectable specs. The cost savings is from the assembly (or lack there of) no?

Some of those PA subs can have excellent quality, maybe not a big old peavey or CW though. The good ones are expensive, naturally. The ones from Danley and JTR will have excellent SQ.

As for the kits, yeah you will save some money from having to assemble it yourself. But it is a real easy assembly, and they will perform better than the equivalently priced sealed 12"s from other sub makers. I think in an apartment and for for trance, that is what I would do, since you can not have it too loud. The drivers and amp are good quality ones, and since it is geared toward hobbyists, they do not take any shortcuts, so it is real bang for the buck.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I would also look at the SVS SB12, I use one in a 15x20 room and have it set at 12olck, this sub is hard to beat with music and can go down to 20hz in room, I would skip DIY for what your needs are, SVS B Stock you can get one for under $600.00 5 year warranty, audioholics has a nice write up on it http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/sb12-nsd-subwoofer
post #13 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Some of those PA subs can have excellent quality, maybe not a big old peavey or CW though. The good ones are expensive, naturally. The ones from Danley and JTR will have excellent SQ.

As for the kits, yeah you will save some money from having to assemble it yourself. But it is a real easy assembly, and they will perform better than the equivalently priced sealed 12"s from other sub makers. I think in an apartment and for for trance, that is what I would do, since you can not have it too loud. The drivers and amp are good quality ones, and since it is geared toward hobbyists, they do not take any shortcuts, so it is real bang for the buck.

How would the Dayton Audio T1203k compare to the SVS SB1000 or SB12?

Dayton Audio RS1202K 1000 Watt Dual 12 eek.gif for $850 shipped!
post #14 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post

How would the Dayton Audio T1203k compare to the SVS SB1000 or SB12?

For the T1203k kit, I think that Dayton driver is probably a bit more robust than the Peerless driver SVS uses, but those Peerless drivers were pretty good. The amp on that kit is certainly not going to have the aggressive limiter that SVS uses. I think it would beat the SB12 pretty easily.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
For the T1203k kit, I think that Dayton driver is probably a bit more robust than the Peerless driver SVS uses, but those Peerless drivers were pretty good. The amp on that kit is certainly not going to have the aggressive limiter that SVS uses. I think it would beat the SB12 pretty easily.
Quote:

Hmm...based on the reviews for the T1203k kit I would have to see some specs comparing both.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Supposedly the NSD driver is some version of the Peerless XXLS or something close to it. If you compare the specs of the Titanic III to the Peerless XXLS, it looks like the Titanic III, which is what is used in that kit, has an advantage; larger voice coil, greater power handling, more xmax. It's a moot point since the Ttanic III doesn't seem to be available anymore, and is being replaced by the Dayton Ultimax, which looks more capable than both the Titanic III and Peerless XXLS.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Some time ago I brought the 15" Titanic MK III kit into the house and it was very good fore the price.. Much more than expected. It does look like the kits are still available if I’m not mistaken?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #18 of 19 Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Some time ago I brought the 15" Titanic MK III kit into the house and it was a brute! Much more than expected. It does look like the kits are still available if I’m not mistaken?

Not according to this post.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Not according to this post.

I took a hike over to PartsExpress.. your rite.
Quote:

Dayton Audio T1503K 15" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer Kit
Part Number: 300-764
Backorder Issue

U.S. Customers: Sorry, due to insufficient inventory levels, your order may arrive in multiple shipments. Don't worry, you will not be charged any additional shipping fees and we will notify you when we ship the balance of your order.
International customers: Backorders are not available for international shipments. Out of stock items will be removed from order. Please re-order when stock arrives.

Looks like it might be in on the 4th though. Can't say if that's really so or not.
Quote:
Out of stock
Due 6/4/2013

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page