Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 540 Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Well, smartphones I think are an oxymoron but the users can be pretty adept with them even doing stuff like the sexting thing....wonder what I would have done with one 30 years ago? Have no use for one now...

Thirty years ago I was using one of the first retail PC's with an 8088 processor. Didn't even know how to put the floppy in the drive to use our copy of DOS 2.01. I was what one might call computer illiterate.

Back in those days, it was a sink or swim type of environment and one, quite literally, figured everything out on the fly. I can't count the number of trees that were cut down in order to supply me with a continuous stream of literacy bibles.

...tongue.gif

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 540 Old 07-13-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

You probably mean Paul Brinegar, on 'Rawhide' with Clint Eastwood, now seen Satrurday mornings on AMC. Brennan was never on 'Wagon Train', during the same 1958-63 period he was doing "The Real McCoys', along with Richard Crenna.
Yeah, going on sketchy, faded memories. I know the character was named "Cookie" as in the trail cook and was a feisty old fart. Maybe it was a movie?

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #453 of 540 Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

This may be true but most schools are dropping cursive writing as handwriting in general is limited...most documents are now typed and printed....anything that is hand written is 99% done in standard print.
I should have added that when I talked to the school principal about this subject he said that they are going to start teaching a new writing technique that involves melding cursive and print type writing together since that is how the majority of people write now. Erm, he said the school district is adopting this new style.
post #454 of 540 Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Quote:

You probably mean Paul Brinegar, on 'Rawhide' with Clint Eastwood, now seen Satrurday mornings on AMC. Brennan was never on 'Wagon Train', during the same 1958-63 period he was doing "The Real McCoys', along with Richard Crenna.
Yeah, going on sketchy, faded memories. I know the character was named "Cookie" as in the trail cook and was a feisty old fart. Maybe it was a movie?

I think almost all westerns I've ever seen had a cook named "cookie". Walter Brennan would be a good stereotype, altho I think that I think more of others in that general role. Not sure who set the standard....probably pre-tv at a guess.

post #455 of 540 Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:

I think almost all westerns I've ever seen had a cook named "cookie". Walter Brennan would be a good stereotype, altho I think that I think more of others in that general role. Not sure who set the standard....probably pre-tv at a guess.
Brinegar's character was named 'Wishbone'. Cooks and chuck wagons were ubiquitous in westerns, though I suspect few were in real life as erudite as Roscoe Lee Browne in 'The Cowboys'.
Brennan, BTW, started playing elderly parts in 1933 when he was only 39, after losing his teeth in an accident. He more or less played being 60 for 40 years. That was aided by his high pitched voice, from vocal chords damaged by mustard gas in World War I.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #456 of 540 Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Giants, 5 out of the last 24 due to bats and pitchers who have gone into a very deeeeeeep sleep. frown.gif

-
Quote:

The all-star break couldn't come at a better time for S.F. That and the fact that they are without a doubt in the weakest division in the majors means that there's still plenty of time. smile.gif

I've seen stranger come-backs than this potentially strange come-back.........if they indeed do come back. They are playing with most of the same players who won it all last season.

Quote:

Who have lost their passion and forgotten how a bat works and seem to have really slow pitches that like to go to the outside or in the dirt. AAA ball anyone? If Posey was told to lean to the outside any further, he'd fall over. If Sandovol gains anymore weight, third base is going sink into the bay and good golly, he's great getting the ball to first but his latest batting is 5 for 34. frown.gif

(sorry for off topic and I'll stop)

-

Well it looks as though the Padres have awoken the slumping, slumbering Giants. Lincecum pitched a no-hitter tonight and was saved by two brilliant plays. One by Pence who made an unbelievable catch and the other from the "overweight" Sandoval at 3rd. Their bats have come alive all of a sudden scoring 19 runs in the last two games.

The season is still young and FAR from over! smile.gif

P.S.........this thread has obviously sorta turned into a "whatever" thread which is fine by me and seemingly most of you too. I figure when Brian chimes in again we can then get back to the business at hand. biggrin.gif

post #457 of 540 Old 07-14-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:
P.S.........this thread has obviously sorta turned into a "whatever" thread which is fine by me and seemingly most of you too. I figure when Brian chimes in again we can then get back to the business at hand. biggrin.gif

I agree.. it’s nice having a thread like this to take a break and see other peoples opinion on things and the sense a humor that’s behind the posts. Brian can step in at any time of course.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #458 of 540 Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Well it looks as though the Padres have awoken the slumping, slumbering Giants. Lincecum pitched a no-hitter tonight and was saved by two brilliant plays. One by Pence who made an unbelievable catch and the other from the "overweight" Sandoval at 3rd. Their bats have come alive all of a sudden scoring 19 runs in the last two games.

Not trying to take away from Lincecum's nine inning, historical, no hitter shutout, Posey's catching/hitting/throwing, the brilliance of Pence's catch/batting (despite his batting stance that yesterday, netted another home run), Sandoval's amazing throwing skills to first base or Tanaka's unbelieveable Major League debut, but unfortunately, when two last place teams are playing each other, they're evenly matched and one is going come out looking better than the other. After the All-Star break (some of the Giants won't get a break) the Giants who are 6.5GB, will be playing first place Arizona and then we'll get an idea if they've come out of their slump or the win was because they were playing the last place team.

(yes, each player has what could be considered superhuman skills and so my pessimism is not misunderstood, yes, I am ever so grateful for the last three wins. The last few weeks have been tortuously painful)

My! The Padres second baseman's throw from the knees to first. Geeze! eek.gif At no time do I have stupid style criticism to offer but the last few weeks have not been encouraging and the upcoming series with the D-Backs will tell if these last few wins was due to the level of competition or if the Giant's are out of their funk. I'm voting/hoping for the latter.
Torqdog likes this.
post #459 of 540 Old 07-14-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^+1
Couldn't agree more. D-backs will show us if this is indeed a turn-a-round or if it's simply that they are playing better than the worst team (Padres). Even still, a no-hitter is a major deal regardless of who you're playing and how bad they are. wink.gif

post #460 of 540 Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Brinegar's character was named 'Wishbone'. Cooks and chuck wagons were ubiquitous in westerns, though I suspect few were in real life as erudite as Roscoe Lee Browne in 'The Cowboys'.
Brennan, BTW, started playing elderly parts in 1933 when he was only 39, after losing his teeth in an accident. He more or less played being 60 for 40 years. That was aided by his high pitched voice, from vocal chords damaged by mustard gas in World War I.

I looked up Walter Brennan's profile on IMDB, was surprised to see the photo of him as a (relatively) young man....he always seemed to play the old crusty guy....did not know that about the teeth/vocal cords, though....his picture made me think of William Schallert....

post #461 of 540 Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:

^^^+1
Couldn't agree more. D-backs will show us if this is indeed a turn-a-round or if it's simply that they are playing better than the worst team (Padres). Even still, a no-hitter is a major deal regardless of who you're playing and how bad they are. wink.gif

Barry Zito has served up three home runs, the Giants are on their third pitcher and the score is Padres 7 and the Giants 1. It's the bottom of the third, the Padres are up, bases are loaded, two outs and the count is 2-2......the suspense is killing me. tongue.gif
post #462 of 540 Old 07-14-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, Chris Froome stomped everyone up Mont Ventoux today to gain time again and hold onto the maillot jaune. What a freakin' climbing animal this guy is, especially at the end of a long day on the longest stage of the tour...

post #463 of 540 Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Barry Zito has served up three home runs, the Giants are on their third pitcher and the score is Padres 7 and the Giants 1. It's the bottom of the third, the Padres are up, bases are loaded, two outs and the count is 2-2......the suspense is killing me. tongue.gif
Yep, back to their old ways today. Oh well........bring on the all-star break.

post #464 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

This may be true but most schools are dropping cursive writing as handwriting in general is limited...most documents are now typed and printed....anything that is hand written is 99% done in standard print.
I appreciate these facts as well as BeeMan's comments earlier. I was just trying to point out that while on the surface, cursive can be seen as an obsolete art there is actually a "method to the madness" so to speak. For those interested I submit the following:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/memory-medic/201303/what-learning-cursive-does-your-brain
post #465 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
My high school chemistry teacher used to talk in cursive. Every word began before the previous word ended. The whole class period he talked in one long, monotonous breath.

It was impossible to learn anything.

post #466 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

I appreciate these facts as well as BeeMan's comments earlier. I was just trying to point out that while on the surface, cursive can be seen as an obsolete art there is actually a "method to the madness" so to speak. For those interested I submit the following:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/memory-medic/201303/what-learning-cursive-does-your-brain

I think these arguments are coming from people that just don't want to let cursive go because it was an integral part of their writing lives. Notably, many of the motor skills benefits being described happen through learning printing, too. The question that is not being addressed is how much is enough.

Also, the article is comparing paper and pencil to keyboarding, not to wordprocessing. What we also know from research in the 1980s and 1990s with the advent of the PC is that word processing with older students (high school and college age) resulted in more writing and more expression of ideas than handwriting. Then there are effects on the process of writing. Wordprocessing allows for and promotes revision in way that handwriting does not (does anyone miss having to copy a text a over again in the process of revision, which discouraged extensive revision?). So to prove literacy benefits of handwriting for writing, there would need to be longitudinal studies to examine effects over K-12.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #467 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I think these arguments are coming from people that just don't want to let cursive go because it was an integral part of their writing lives. Notably, many of the motor skills benefits being described happen through learning printing, too. The question that is not being addressed is how much is enough.

Also, the article is comparing paper and pencil to keyboarding, not to wordprocessing. What we also know from research in the 1980s and 1990s with the advent of the PC is that word processing with older students (high school and college age) resulted in more writing and more expression of ideas than handwriting. Then there are effects on the process of writing. Wordprocessing allows for and promotes revision in way that handwriting does not (does anyone miss having to copy a text a over again in the process of revision, which discouraged extensive revision?). So to prove literacy benefits of handwriting for writing, there would need to be longitudinal studies to examine effects over K-12.

I hear you. I'm not suggesting that cursive should be an integral part of all elemetary and high school education, and of course you wouldn't want a 4 grader preparing a research paper in cursive. I'm just trying to point out that not all proponents of cursive writing are simply trying to preserve an "ancient art". There is some hard science supporting that there are in fact benefits for young children to learn how to read and write (early on) in cursive.
post #468 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I hear you. I'm not suggesting that cursive should be an integral part of all elemetary and high school education, and of course you wouldn't want a 4 grader preparing a research paper in cursive. I'm just trying to point out that not all proponents of cursive writing are simply trying to preserve an "ancient art". There is some hard science supporting that there are in fact benefits for young children to learn how to read and write (early on) in cursive.

Well, we could train young children to be hunter/gatherers, and I'm sure that researchers would find benefits for that as well. The point is that there are LOTS of things that young children could do that would provide some kind of benefit. I would want to see evidence of long term literacy benefits.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #469 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 838
How are we to sign our name if we never learn cursive?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #470 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:

Wordprocessing allows for and promotes revision in way that handwriting does not (does anyone miss having to copy a text a over again in the process of revision, which discouraged extensive revision?).

Early word processing:

(Youngsters: those are typewriter correction strips)

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #471 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

If the schools weren't tied up with worrying about which bathroom a Transgender kid can use, strapping condoms on cucumbers for 5th graders, self esteem, feelings and all the other rock gut crap teachers are forced to deal with on a day to day basis, maybe, just maybe we could get back to edumacatin our kids. The 4 "Rs" are still a pretty fundamental basis for getting a good education.........read'n, rite'n, rithmatic and most importantly.......RESPECT!
+1 Unfortunately todays teachers are expected to be more parents than the actual parents. Theres little time left over to teach.
Parents dont discipline their children or teach them any morals and the schools arent allowed to anymore. Its no wonder there are so many messed up kids these days.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #472 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Well, we could train young children to be hunter/gatherers, and I'm sure that researchers would find benefits for that as well. The point is that there are LOTS of things that young children could do that would provide some kind of benefit. I would want to see evidence of long term literacy benefits.

I absolutely think young kids should be trained to be hunters/gatherers!!! I would much rather my kids be outside playing hide and seek (hunting smile.gif) than sitting inside tapping away at the ipad. They would indirectly improve their social skills, physical fitness etc...

I'll see if I can find some evidence wrt long term benefits, it may not even exist... I suspect there will be studies in about 10 years comparing literacy results in districts that continued to teach cursive vs. those that stopped.
post #473 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

+1 Unfortunately todays teachers are expected to be more parents than the actual parents. Theres little time left over to teach.
Parents dont discipline their children or teach them any morals and the schools arent allowed to anymore. Its no wonder there are so many messed up kids these days.

Morals may be a major issue but I think nutrition and sleep can be overlooked by parents as well. Kids with a consistent routine/bedtime who have a nutritious breakfast will perform better than those that do not.
post #474 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I absolutely think young kids should be trained to be hunters/gatherers!!! I would much rather my kids be outside playing hide and seek (hunting smile.gif) than sitting inside tapping away at the ipad. They would indirectly improve their social skills, physical fitness etc...

I was thinking that when I posted, that bringing back physical education for kids in schools where they have eliminated it is way more important to their development than whether or not they learn cursive smile.gif
Quote:

I'll see if I can find some evidence wrt long term benefits, it may not even exist... I suspect there will be studies in about 10 years comparing literacy results in districts that continued to teach cursive vs. those that stopped.

Need more control than that. Too many factors that influence literacy.

post #475 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Quote:

Wordprocessing allows for and promotes revision in way that handwriting does not (does anyone miss having to copy a text a over again in the process of revision, which discouraged extensive revision?).

Early word processing:

(Youngsters: those are typewriter correction strips)

You'd first have to explain to a youngster what a typewriter is. I have one in our office, an IBM Selectric of many years age, and it constantly draws attention from people walking by. They think we've started an office equipment museum or something. Still the best tool for some jobs we do. It had the self-correcting tape built in.

One of my favorite trivia is that Mike Nesmith's mom invented Liquid Paper (and believe Mike has spent most of it now). For the youngsters, Mike Nesmith was the tall dude with the knit cap on (a fashion foreteller) who was in The Monkees. Who are The Monkees? Oh, never mind...

post #476 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Who are The Monkees? Oh, never mind...

Hey, hey, we're the monkees

And people say we monkey around,

(ya knew it would happen)

...biggrin.gif
post #477 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who are The Monkees? Oh, never mind...
There's a great expose on the Monkees currently running on NatGeo right now. Check for times, it's VERY interesting!

post #478 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:

There's a great expose on the Monkees currently running on NatGeo right now. Check for times, it's VERY interesting!
the first "Manufactured" boy band?
post #479 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey, hey, we're the monkees

And people say we monkey around,

(ya knew it would happen)

...biggrin.gif

Thank goodness for small blessings. You didn't record yourself singing biggrin.gif

post #480 of 540 Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

the first "Manufactured" boy band?

Yeah, big surprise there. While I don't think I knew that in the first year of watching that new show, I did know not too long after they were backed musically by studio musicians although that somewhat changed in time, they were The Knack of their day (sort of, Monkees were much bigger but same concept as some of the boy vocal bands have been).

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page