Subwoofer sound - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i've read the first few pages of this thread and there was somebody here who asked brian if he'd already experienced/heard a high end HT. that's what got me. because right now, im just happy and contented of what i have and not knowing about the good stuff that's beyond my ears hearing and my budget of course. i really wanted to experience the good stuff.

thats the reason why the only thing to do to experience that high end good stuff is to go to an expo or demo's. im glad emotiva is just in franklin, TN. just a 5 hour drive from where i live. ya'll giving me another reason/point to argue with my wife to really be there at emotiva this coming august when they'll be having the emofest.
Torqdog likes this.

XIM edge, ps3, yamaha RX-A1000, adcom GFAii, polk SDA2a, 65" toshiba LCD......more and more to come.....work, work, work!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM

just to add. im one of those ordinary guys who got a 200-300 dollar sub. infact, i have the bic PL200. a $280.00 sub. im happy with it for now. but what i really want is the SVS cylindrical sub. what a thing of beauty! biggrin.gif

XIM edge, ps3, yamaha RX-A1000, adcom GFAii, polk SDA2a, 65" toshiba LCD......more and more to come.....work, work, work!!!!
post #513 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
but what i really want is the SVS cylindrical sub. what a thing of beauty!

Yes many feel the same way as you do, seems to be a very popular design choice which only ads to a rooms decor. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you regarding a upgrade in the near future. tongue.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #514 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygax View Post

i've read the first few pages of this thread and there was somebody here who asked brian if he'd already experienced/heard a high end HT. that's what got me. because right now, im just happy and contented of what i have and not knowing about the good stuff that's beyond my ears hearing and my budget of course. i really wanted to experience the good stuff.

thats the reason why the only thing to do to experience that high end good stuff is to go to an expo or demo's. im glad emotiva is just in franklin, TN. just a 5 hour drive from where i live. ya'll giving me another reason/point to argue with my wife to really be there at emotiva this coming august when they'll be having the emofest.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1354149/the-ill-demo-my-subwoofer-for-other-enthusiasts-thread
There are 4 avs members in Tennessee on this thread, plus maybe adjoining states. Emotiva subs aren't very high up on the list....

Then again, sometimes ignorance is bliss...

post #515 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
DIY and you can get a taste of high end for a lot less.
post #516 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

DIY and you can get a taste of high end for a lot less.

Is that really true? smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #517 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 219

Yes, and there are several threads here to help you along the way.

Unfortunately, my DIY experiences in the past:

1. take much longer than they're supposed to

2. cost much more than they're supposed to

3. don't work very well.

So I'm willing to pay the premium for having someone else put the pieces together (actually, it's the finishing that gets me).

As always, YMMV.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #518 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Then there's the inbetween AIY (assemble it yourself) with a kit from someone like diysoundgroup.com or parts-express.com

post #519 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, and there are several threads here to help you along the way.

Unfortunately, my DIY experiences in the past:

1. take much longer than they're supposed to

2. cost much more than they're supposed to

3. don't work very well.

So I'm willing to pay the premium for having someone else put the pieces together (actually, it's the finishing that gets me).

As always, YMMV.
Quote:
Then there's the inbetween AIY (assemble it yourself) with a kit from someone like diysoundgroup.com or parts-express.com

Thanks guys, I’m just messing around since this thread seems to have turned into some sort of thread? rolleyes.gif I'm familiar with both options.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #520 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

stevenn....my comment was for the same person your post was for....whoever is listening and it's probably not the OP...

Tour update, Froome continues to dominate...don't tell me until I get home tonight and watch but the double ascent of Alpe d'Huez today will be key.

post #521 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

stevenn....my comment was for the same person your post was for....whoever is listening and it's probably not the OP...

Tour update, Froome continues to dominate...don't tell me until I get home tonight and watch but the double ascent of Alpe d'Huez today will be key.

LOL.. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #522 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:

Now he's an expert on horn tweeters, too:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480683/i-have-seen-the-light

And he's a "Senior Member"! eek.gif

How do you do that (after three months)? confused.gif

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #523 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:

+1 to Darwinism

Darwin's theory says the dumb will kill themselves. Really a shame people keep trying to outlaw stupidity.
post #524 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Darwin's theory says the dumb will kill themselves. Really a shame people keep trying to outlaw stupidity.

Darwin's theory doesn't really say that. Stupidity is no barrier to passing on one's genes. The most successful lifeforms aren't ones with brains, or even a central nervous system.
post #525 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

just to add. im one of those ordinary guys who got a 200-300 dollar sub. infact, i have the bic PL200. a $280.00 sub. im happy with it for now. but what i really want is the SVS cylindrical sub. what a thing of beauty! biggrin.gif

Look up sonotube subwoofers or ask about them in the DIY section, they are one of the easiest DIY subs you can make. You can make cylinder subs that will blow the SVS cylinders away for half the cost. You can finish them in any type of veneer you want. What's nice about them is box subs always present a challenge to long ports, but long ports can fit in a sonotube with no problem, so you can tune them as deep as you want.
jaygax likes this.
post #526 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Darwin's theory doesn't really say that.

In the case of humanity, which it was quite obvious was the species I was referring to in response to another's comment, you bet it makes a difference. Reading the daily news, dumb humans are killing themselves by the boatload these days and they seem to be working overtime to create new methods of offing themselves.

Yes, correct, stupidity in of itself is no barrier to passing one's gene pool but stupidity having caused one's demise.....is.
post #527 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Look up sonotube subwoofers or ask about them in the DIY section, they are one of the easiest DIY subs you can make.

Yeah that’s what I was expecting with the first three I built! I inadvertently had the port concept wrong and did things backwards. They looked kind of funny after I was done with them also. Oh-well!.. My learning curve did improve after that thank God. wink.gif

Seriously though> Sono’s are more complicated than what they seem. A box style is admittedly more complicated but getting the base right and a few other things can be a little challenging.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #528 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Darwin's theory doesn't really say that.

In the case of humanity, which it was quite obvious was the species I was referring to in response to another's comment, you bet it makes a difference. Reading the daily news, dumb humans are killing themselves by the boatload these days and they seem to be working overtime to create new methods of offing themselves.

Yes, correct, stupidity in of itself is no barrier to passing one's gene pool but stupidity having caused one's demise.....is.

Yeah, I know it really is more about survival traits. Unfortunately in our nanny society I think we've got too many of them (those that we would hope wouldn't be smart enough to survive) and way too many of those work for the government smile.gif

post #529 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 PM

It's also about reproduction and food.....too much of both going on which explains the population explosion and the obesity epidemic.

Why is Johnny so fat? I don't know.....could it be that you let him stuff himself with 4k or 5k worth of calories each day and don't make him take the garbage out?

I literally count calories (weigh/calculate everything I eat) and struggle to keep my calorie count below 2,500 calories a day. Today, I'll get by with only 2,300 calories. Woo-hoo!

These days, a person sneezes and they're eating >3k a day and Jack in the Box wants you to eat their super waffle breakfast meal that's currently being advertised. Oh heck yeah, with syrup and butter, that's easily a 2k calorie meal to start your day.

They want you to believe that it's only 655 calories.........as if someone isn't going dump syrup and butter all over that little morsel.

-
post #530 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Since we're floating into the stupidity of humans and why they survive, have any of you seen the movie Idiocracy? biggrin.gif

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #531 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I like to hear speakers and FEEL the BASS!! If I hear bass then its a POS sub!

Hope this helps. biggrin.gif

Shhhhhhhhh
post #532 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Since we're floating into the stupidity of humans and why they survive, have any of you seen the movie Idiocracy? biggrin.gif
Hilarious movie, I love that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Seriously though> Sono’s are more complicated than what they seem. A box style is admittedly more complicated but getting the base right and a few other things can be a little challenging.

Lol Steve! Those almost look like those old timey stoves! I can't really criticize because I haven't done any DIY, although I am looking to getting my feet wet soon. I have been looking at a lot of different drivers and builds. Hopefully I can get into it later this summer.
post #533 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 PM

Liked: 30
Wow! Is all I can say. I spent the past 2 days reading this entire thread and have to admit it was better than any book u can buy out there. 532 post and 18 pages, of pure entertainment, if u ever have time and have not read this thread in its entirety I suggest reading it. It's not only entertaining but informative, not only in audio equipment but in life.
post #534 of 540 Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol Steve! Those almost look like those old timey stoves! I can't really criticize because I haven't done any DIY, although I am looking to getting my feet wet soon. I have been looking at a lot of different drivers and builds. Hopefully I can get into it later this summer.

LOL.. Hey if you do just let me know and I’ll send some pics your way of past projects that might interest you. The sono’s look much better finished, but they’re on the large side I admit. Great performance wise though. wink.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #535 of 540 Old 07-19-2013, 04:35 AM

that sonotube DIY stuff is awesome! anybody know where to get a kit for that?

"Contador just had a steak for dinner last night. So, it ain't over!"

post #536 of 540 Old 07-19-2013, 06:10 AM

Idiocracy

Hilarious movie, I love that one.

The last hilarious movie I caught was "Ted."

But being the age I am, I have to feign being offended. Now that was a funny movie.

Can't wait for new episodes of "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Tood Margaret" to hit the cable stream.

If one is going sit and feign being offended and entertained at the same time, Todd Margaret is the way to go. I haven't been able to wrap my think around "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." Maybe if I pulled some stored up cord wood out of the old storage locker, I would find Sunny in Philadelphia, equally hilarious.

I'm a big fan of dry, ironic humor as can be found in movies like "Paul" or cable shows like "Arrested Development."

-
post #537 of 540 Old 07-19-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

We get closer to that all the time...great movie.
steve nn likes this.

post #538 of 540 Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Contador just had a steak for dinner last night. So, it ain't over!"

Phil, is that you? smile.gif

Just finished watching stage 18 this morning before work...I think Contador has blown his big chance altho have no idea yet what happened in stage 19 (no spoilers puhleeese). Too bad our Tejay had the chain suck, seemed to have cost him that stage. Lucky they didn't get more rain on that descent....it was relatively drama-free and Riblon, who went in the ditch, was still able to win...
steve nn and jaygax like this.

post #539 of 540 Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, no kits available as far as I know. A guy could figure about a $100 per sono enclosure at the time I was building them. Don’t know what it would translate out to today though. I would buy long sections and get three sono’s per section. It depends on what driver and tune you go with regarding what you get per section.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #540 of 540 Old 07-21-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad especially against numero uno. If we keep up that trend, it's just a matter of time before we're numero uno.
steve nn likes this.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page