AVS Forum banner

Subwoofer sound

17K views 539 replies 50 participants last post by  Torqdog 
#1 ·
I honestly cannot tell the difference between subs. I currently have a BIC H-100 sub and today and the day before I demoed the Rythmics and the Hsu's and they sound the same. It had a little more thump when I was demoing them, but thats because they had the volume pretty loud. I can turn up the volume on my BIC and they sound exactly the same.

QUestion, what does one look for when shopping for subs?

#427 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23523074

I was shocked to find out they don't teach cursive anymore. I even asked my sons teacher about this and she said there's no real need for it anymore, that signatures even will be a check box and mouse click away. I'm putting him in a different school next year is the solution.

Well, i can say that e-signatures are getting to be more and more common. Where I work, there literally is not a single real signature that is required during the hiring/onboarding process. Whether you like it or not, she's probably right.

#428 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23520784

Critical thinking? ..........Go in the U.S. military. Your critical thinking will be trained for free.

Your thinking will never be what it was before being introduced to the critical thinking demands (skills) of the U.S. military. Once U.S. military critical, always U.S. military critical.

(the above is not an endorsement of anything)

-

The majority of the people I knew who joined the military wanted a free ride and couldn't handle personal responsibility. It was the oddest thing to see some of the under-disciplined kids in my high school graduating class go straight to joining the military. There is too much monetary incentive to join the military now, I think.

I think engineering is the best way to build critical thinking.

#429 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23523134

I think engineering is the best way to build critical thinking.
Given some of the engineers whom I know, I don't believe this. Critical thinking is definitely not fostered in the military either, if anything I would think it's discouraged there. I'd like to think logic and philosophy depts in academia would be the best place to develop a critical mind, or at least spark some critical thinking. I think neuroscience and psychology and other cognitive sciences are also a good places to think along these lines, as they study the limitations of the mind every day. It must be very sobering to dwell on the faults and constraints of the brain all the time.

#430 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23523078

Well, i can say that e-signatures are getting to be more and more common. Where I work, there literally is not a single real signature that is required during the hiring/onboarding process. Whether you like it or not, she's probably right.

I think the primary need to teach how to write cursive is gone--people don't write by hand much any more. Even students. I know I don't handwrite hardly at all. People that need to read and/or write cursive for particular career paths could certainly learn it as an adult easily enough.

But schools could certainly give students an introduction on how to read it, and then spend a little time working on how to write a signature.

That being said, my middle school son is starting to get good at reading cursive. Thanks Skyrim for your cursive script fonts in the book and journal quest items!

#431 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23523185

I think the primary need to teach how to write cursive is gone--people don't write by hand much any more. Even students. I know I don't handwrite hardly at all. People that need to read and/or write cursive for particular career paths could certainly learn it as an adult easily enough.

But schools could certainly give students an introduction on how to read it, and then spend a little time working on how to write a signature

Definitely. When I was in school we were actually encourage to NOT write anything in cursive. then again, we really almost never wrote anything by hand at all. Typing everything was an absolute necessity

#432 ·
Cursive is an obsolete art and has no purpose other than to make other people happy. Not sure why the need to continue with cursive and unless someone can say with certainty, why cursive is a needed educational burden, I cannot encourage burdening educators with this obsolete art.

It use to be "reading, writing and arithmetic." This should be changed to "reading, printing and arithmetic. When was the last time anybody saw a legal brief or financial report done in cursive? How many graduating high school students can read and understand legal briefs or financial reports and forget about asking them understanding a scientific study.

The purpose of writing is the communication of ideas through the written medium and if computers, word processors and spellcheckers have obsoleted the need for cursive, then let cursive gracefully go the way of the Dodo and buggy whips. Educators have enough, put upon them burdens and with dropout rates in California hovering around twenty-two percent, I submit, this is an unneeded lesson that can be let go for more important pending educational assignments like basic math and efforts to raise reading comprehension to more then the eighth grade level.

With all humility, I submit, cursive is not where valuable, yet ever so limited educational resource efforts, should be "expended."

-

#433 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23523751

Cursive is an obsolete art and has no purpose other than to make other people happy. Not sure why the need to continue with cursive and unless someone can say with certainty, why cursive is a needed educational burden, I cannon encourage burdening educators with this obsolete art.

It use to be "reading, writing and arithmetic." This should be changed to "reading, printing and arithmetic. When was the last time anybody saw a legal brief or financial report done in cursive?

The purpose of writing is the communication of ideas through the written medium and if computers, word processors and spellcheckers have obsoleted the need for cursive, then let cursive gracefully go the way of the Dodo and buggy whips.

-
We have our kids in a montessori elementary school and cursive writing is a key part of the 3 to 4 year old's curriculum. My understanding is that it helps kids more quickly integrate the concepts of letters vs words vs sentences, as well as sentence structure and fine motor skills.... our kids mastered cursive first and then we're allowed to print or use cursive.

#434 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23523801

We have our kids in a montessori elementary school and cursive writing is a key part of the 3 to 4 year old's curriculum. My understanding is that it helps kids more quickly integrate the concepts of letters vs words vs sentences, as well as sentence structure and fine motor skills.... our kids mastered cursive first and then we're allowed to print or use cursive.

I'm not going argue a parent's education choice as that's their purvey and their purvey alone. In public education, where financial resources are limited and drop out rates are high, I submit, public education, where the majority of America's education takes place, cursive is the least most important educational consideration as via needle point, if need be, one can learn manual dexterity at home.

As one allows choices of cursive or printing, in the job world, all reports are done in a printed style from e-mails, to reports, to research papers. Cursive, at this point, qualifies as an ancient art which serves no general purpose in the adult workday world.

One must also consider that in public education, for some school districts, English is not a primary language but instead English is a secondary language with accompanying grammatical language, sentence structure differences. Folks have a tendency to think in centric terms as opposed to thinking in global social terms as to what's happening in public education today and the challenges public educators are having to deal with.

Please make note of linked data sources. I linked to Butte County data as we live in Butte County. Please note third grade reading proficiency for third graders in California. When one has proficiency rates hovering around 33% - 45%, one does what they can to encourage improvement. One does not add impediments such as an unneeded archaic skill that does nothing to aid the public educator's education related burden.

Parents can demand what they will, California's education system has collapsed and needs all the relief and understanding voters (taxpayers) can provide.

-

#435 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23523801

This may be true but most schools are dropping cursive writing as handwriting in general is limited...most documents are now typed and printed....anything that is hand written is 99% done in standard print.

#436 ·
Back in the day we all had to learn cursive and use it to a degree. I noticed a PE teacher writing on a overhead in class all capital letters.. I liked it and decided to write the same whenever I could and use it to this day. Now and then I try to write in cursive but have forgotten some of it I admit. If you go back in time and take a look at writing skills.. imo we have lost ground, but not sure/doubt if that translates out to be a benefit in our world today with all it’s new technology.

#437 ·
If the schools weren't tied up with worrying about which bathroom a Transgender kid can use, strapping condoms on cucumbers for 5th graders, self esteem, feelings and all the other rock gut crap teachers are forced to deal with on a day to day basis, maybe, just maybe we could get back to edumacatin our kids. The 4 "Rs" are still a pretty fundamental basis for getting a good education.........read'n, rite'n, rithmatic and most importantly.......RESPECT!

#438 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23523203

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23523185

But schools could certainly give students an introduction on how to read it, and then spend a little time working on how to write a signature

Definitely. When I was in school we were actually encourage to NOT write anything in cursive. then again, we really almost never wrote anything by hand at all. Typing everything was an absolute necessity

We spent quite a lot of time writing in ink and pencil in grade school, but then we had only manual typewriters and we wouldn't get to use those until junior high. Not to the extent of my parent's generation, who really spent a lot of time on the quality of their writing in pen and pencil. I took drafting for several years and only because of that is my printing fairly good looking; my cursive was never all that great. Since my 9th grade I did most of my school work on a typewriter (graduating to an electric typewriter in high school, a used IBM Selectric). In high school the typed papers were definitely a leg up on those whose handwriting skills weren't very good even if the content were equal; at that time a typed paper was on the unusual side and I went to a fairly academic, nationally ranked, high school.

I have an employee now about my age whose handwriting is so bad as to be nearly illegible at times and it can cause problems (and not everything we do can be done on a keyboard). I think good handwriting skills are still important, they still project an image of competency if anything for when you do use handwritting. Say just in your personal life, wouldn't you appreciate more a beautifully written romantic note than some ugly scrawl or soul-less printed out item?

ps One thing about my parent's handwriting, one educated in Illinois, the other in California, they both received similar training and their handwriting could almost be exchanged for one another's (and was quite good-looking).

#439 ·

Quote:
If the schools weren't tied up with worrying about which bathroom a Transgender kid can use, strapping condoms on cucumbers for 5th graders, self esteem, feelings and all the other rock gut crap teachers are forced to deal with on a day to day basis, maybe, just maybe we could get back to edumacatin our kids. The 4 "Rs" are still a pretty fundamental basis for getting a good education.........read'n, rite'n, rithmatic and most importantly.......RESPECT!

That's a thumbs up! ^^ +1

#440 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23524203

+1 one to that!!

#441 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23524396

I have an employee now about my age whose handwriting is so bad as to be nearly illegible at times and it can cause problems (and not everything we do can be done on a keyboard).

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for employers to require employees to work on handwriting skills if necessary for job performance. Why not? Other types of training are required to achieve satisfactory competency in job situations. You would get people who would say, "that's my handwriting and just it how it is." But good handwriting is a learned skill. If it needs improving, it needs improving, and people with illegible handwriting could improve it if they really want to.

#442 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23524203

Lol, where do you send your kids to school?! This post is best read in the voice of Grandpa Simpson.

#443 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23524609

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23524396

I have an employee now about my age whose handwriting is so bad as to be nearly illegible at times and it can cause problems (and not everything we do can be done on a keyboard).

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for employers to require employees to work on handwriting skills if necessary for job performance. Why not? Other types of training are required to achieve satisfactory competency in job situations. You would get people who would say, "that's my handwriting and just it how it is." But good handwriting is a learned skill. If it needs improving, it needs improving, and people with illegible handwriting could improve it if they really want to.

Yeah, but he's 60 and is definitely an old dog who ain't changing but he's the best I got at this time, and we haven't got time for writing exercises...

#444 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23524627

Lol, where do you send your kids to school?! This post is best read in the voice of Grandpa Simpson.
The child graduated with honors 4 years ago and has since gone off to college. All the things I posted she experienced repeatedly except the Transgender kids/Restroom choice issue which has recently come to light in the news.

Grandpa Simpson......meh. A better comparison might be the character Walter Brennan played as the trail cook in I believe the old TV series called Wagon Train?

#445 ·

Quote:
A better comparison might be the character Walter Brennan played as the trail cook in I believe the old TV series called Wagon Train?

One of the all time great heavy hittin bass series of all time!.. always puts my system into excruciating pain.

Reactions: Torqdog
#446 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23524642

Yeah, but he's 60 and is definitely an old dog who ain't changing but he's the best I got at this time, and we haven't got time for writing exercises...

I understand. But he had training in school on how to write

#447 ·
I don't think he spent a lot of time in school concentrating on that stuff would be my guess, as a kid was following Navy dad around various bases, plus he was far more interested in sports I'm pretty sure, a jock so to speak.....I inherited him not that long ago when I joined the company, altho I have known him for many years having once been on the same softball team. Not one of the resumes I saw in any case.

I'm not saying my age group wasn't without people who didn't take written communication seriously, but I do think with the advent of more internet/video use this is going downhill for more and more people now.....on the other hand computer literacy is way up!

#448 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23524755

A better comparison might be the character Walter Brennan played as the trail cook in I believe the old TV series called Wagon Train?
You probably mean Paul Brinegar, on 'Rawhide' with Clint Eastwood, now seen Satrurday mornings on AMC. Brennan was never on 'Wagon Train', during the same 1958-63 period he was doing "The Real McCoys', along with Richard Crenna.

#449 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23524856

.....on the other hand computer literacy is way up!

Is it? Hmmmmmmm!

http://www.jumio.com/2013/07/americans-cant-put-down-their-smartphones-even-during-sex/

"Calling Dr. Love

Speaking of bad habits, “sex­ting” takes on a whole new meaning, with almost one in 10 (9%) adults admit­ting they’ve used their phone during sex.

The young are even more daring and com­fort­able with their smart­phones as strange bed­fel­lows; this number rises to one in five (20%) among those ages 18 – 34."

Really? Seriously? While having sex?

Yup!

And here we have.....Paul Paul Brinegar as Wishbone.

The dude on the right.

-

#451 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1475278/subwoofer-sound/420#post_23525042

Well, smartphones I think are an oxymoron but the users can be pretty adept with them even doing stuff like the sexting thing....wonder what I would have done with one 30 years ago? Have no use for one now...

Thirty years ago I was using one of the first retail PC's with an 8088 processor. Didn't even know how to put the floppy in the drive to use our copy of DOS 2.01. I was what one might call computer illiterate.

Back in those days, it was a sink or swim type of environment and one, quite literally, figured everything out on the fly. I can't count the number of trees that were cut down in order to supply me with a continuous stream of literacy bibles.

-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.