1 or 2 subs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a max budget of $1,000 (ideally much less) to spend on a sub or two subs. From numerous reviews, I've come to the conclusion that Hsu sub's seem to have the best value for under $1,000 subs (I am open to other suggestions as well). With that being said, would I be better off getting one sub (i.e. VTF-15H) or two subs (i.e. VTF-1 MK2)? My room is approximately 19' by 11' with the screen and seating facing the 11' wide wall. I'd appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Look at 2 SVS PB1000's good extension and both for under 1K shipped!!!

http://www.svsound.com/dual-subwoofers/dual-pb-1000

Also the best Customer service in the industry and the Owner Bill of rights is great!!!

http://www.svsound.com/bill-of-rights

Nashou
Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Assuming an 8' ceiling, the room is 1,672 cu.ft. in volume. In that case, +1 to dual SVS PB-1000s @ $949, shipped.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imranh86 View Post

I have a max budget of $1,000 (ideally much less) to spend on a sub or two subs. From numerous reviews, I've come to the conclusion that Hsu sub's seem to have the best value for under $1,000 subs (I am open to other suggestions as well). With that being said, would I be better off getting one sub (i.e. VTF-15H) or two subs (i.e. VTF-1 MK2)? My room is approximately 19' by 11' with the screen and seating facing the 11' wide wall. I'd appreciate any help.

Getting the VTF-15H will give you deeper bass extension. Whereas getting two VTF-1.2's will give you a much smoother response in your room. So rather than having "sweet spots" for bass in your room, the two subs will even things out a lot more.

Question though, is do you plan to upgrade anytime soon? If you're not completely opposed to spending more money in the future, then I would suggest getting the single, larger/better sub for now. And ultimately adding a second on in the future when you can.

Also, there are other options besides the Hsu's mentioned. PSA has the XV15 for $800 now, and it's claimed to be a great subwoofer. Or you could go with dual SVS PB-1000's for under $1000 shipped.

Me personally, I would go with two larger subs, and not settle for the lesser subs. Getting two PB-1000's sounds like a great idea now, but you may want to upgrade at some point. Going with a single larger sub now and adding a second later, actually saves you money in the longrun.

Would you be intersested in DIY at all?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I have vaulted ceilings in my room, which reach a height of 12', which would give my room a total volume of approximately 2,500'.

As for upgrading in the future, I just bought a new house and I am now starting to fill out my media room; so, everything is an upgrade for me right now since I do not have any home theater quality equipment.. I honestly do not see myself upgrading again until maybe 3+ years from now.

I am not an audiophile nor do I have any experience building speakers (or the tools to do so), but I would be open to a DIY if the performance to price outweighs any manufactured sub (and it is relatively simple to construct).

In general, regardless of specific subs, what is better, a single sub or dual subs?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In general, regardless of specific subs, what is better, a single sub or dual subs?
Dual subs will provide greater overall output vs. a single sub, and smoother FR at the listening position.
Quote:
I have vaulted ceilings in my room, which reach a height of 12', which would give my room a total volume of approximately 2,500'.
Your room is still not very large, and dual PB-1000s should still work very well in it.

That said, if your budget and your plans permit it, one approach would be to spend a greater portion (but not all) of your current budget on a single better sub, and then save up the additional funds required for a second, matching sub.

In which case, you have many more options, including:
- PSA XV15 ($799, shipped)
- SVS PB12-NSD ($769, shipped)
- PSA XS15 ($749, shipped)
- Outlaw LFM-1 EX ($649 + shipping)
- SVS SB12-NSD ($649, shipped)
- Rythmik LV12R ($589 + shipping)
imranh86 likes this.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
The VTF15 is 1070.00 shipped....

My suggestion would be dual Rythmik LV12R's for 1074.00 shipped.
imranh86 likes this.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
+1 to Dual LV12R's.

Shawn
Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Quote:
I am not an audiophile nor do I have any experience building speakers (or the tools to do so), but I would be open to a DIY if the performance to price outweighs any manufactured sub (and it is relatively simple to construct).

Yes it outweighs it by plenty considering what you would wined up with for the money. One thing to remember though,.. a DIY’r never considers his or her time spent in construction. wink.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I have no qualms whatsoever about the time spent on a DIY sub project other than my lack of any experience. For me to take on a DIY sub, it would need to fall in my price range with the tools needed (which is $500 per sub since it seems a dual sub layout is preferred) and be relatively easy to manufacture due to my lack of experience.

Also, I have set aside $1,000 for the remaining 7 speakers, which I understand isn't a lot, but I have to work within my constraints. With that being said, do you think that with me allocating half of my total speaker budget of $2,000 to subs is fine or should I rebalance it?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no qualms whatsoever about the time spent on a DIY sub project other than my lack of any experience. For me to take on a DIY sub, it would need to fall in my price range with the tools needed (which is $500 per sub since it seems a dual sub layout is preferred) and be relatively easy to manufacture due to my lack of experience.

Also, I have set aside $1,000 for the remaining 7 speakers, which I understand isn't a lot, but I have to work within my constraints. With that being said, do you think that with me allocating half of my total speaker budget of $2,000 to subs is fine or should I rebalance it?

Just a little teaser, look what a guy can get nowadays for the price.

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=57

EP 4000> http://www.gearclubdirect.com/behringer-ep4000-display-model One amp to power two subs.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Squeezing seven speakers into $1,000 may not be feasible, but I wouldn't re-work your budget on account of that. Instead, I would focus on getting the best (new or gently-used) speakers you can for your $1,000, even if that means just a pair of mains (or mains + a CC speaker) to start with. You can always save up and add surrounds later on.

That way, you'll end up with quality gear that you won't need to upgrade in "maybe 3+ years from now".
Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just out of curiosity, why the recommendations of 2 subs for what I believe is a small-medium size room?

Does it have something to do with the shape of the room?

I'm not going against anyone's recommendations, but normally 2 subs are recommended for larger rooms right?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

Just out of curiosity, why the recommendations of 2 subs for what I believe is a small-medium size room?

Does it have something to do with the shape of the room?

I'm not going against anyone's recommendations, but normally 2 subs are recommended for larger rooms right?

The room has a rectangular shape.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why the recommendations of 2 subs for what I believe is a small-medium size room? ... normally 2 subs are recommended for larger rooms right?
I believe the dual-sub advantages of greater overall output, increased headroom and smoother FR across the listening position apply to all sizes of rooms.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

I'm sure others can chime in about speaker recommendations but as an admitted energy fan I'd recommend looking into the energy connoisseur line-up (especially if you would rather get new than used). These speakers came out in 2010 and are now being phased out, they are very neutral, and present a nice sound stage. They were a decent value at MSRP, and now that they are available for about half that much they are a bargain IMO. You could probably get a CC-10 centre channel and a pair of CF-50 towers for about $600. The CR-10s (BiPole/DiPole), or CB-20s & CB-10's (direct radiating) would make a decent surround section and I'm pretty sure even the most expensive CR-10s would be close to your remaining $400 budget, the CB-20s and CB-10s would be less.

Here is a review of the CF-50s:
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-loudspeakers/floorstanding-loudspeakers/energy-cf-50-floorstanding-loudspeakers-2.html
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I believe the dual-sub advantages of greater overall output, increased headroom and smoother FR across the listening position apply to all sizes of rooms.

Oh, I had heard the benefit of smoother response increased with the size of the room.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

After reviewing my budget a little further (screen is going to cost more than I anticipated), I have set my budget at $500 for the sub, with the plan to hopefully add a matching sub later on. With this being said, what is the best sub for around $500 (i.e. Rythmik, Hsu, Epik, Outlaw, SVS, Bic, etc.)?

Thank to all for the responses thus far; they have been very helpful.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
set your budget at 594.00'and get the rythmik LV12R....
Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

At this point I am leaning towards the Rythmik.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this point I am leaning towards the Rythmik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

+1..+2.. I think so also.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:

The room has a rectangular shape.
What are the dimensions of your room? Is it sealed (doors) or open (archways or missing walls)?

As for subwoofer, another vote for the Rythmik.

Sanjay
Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

What are the dimensions of your room? Is it sealed (doors) or open (archways or missing walls)?

As for subwoofer, another vote for the Rythmik.

I have a dedicated media room with double doors at the shorter side of the room (the 11' wall). The room is 19' x 11' with 12' ceilings. It's sealed.

I realized that discussions about the LCR speakers are better suited for the Speaker forum, which is why I have started a thread there to discuss this as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475816/best-sound-stage-speakers-for-700
Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:

The room is 19' x 11' with 12' ceilings. It's sealed.
In that case, placing a single sub at the midpoint of room width (11'?) should give you smoother frequency response (fewer peaks & dips). You can further smoothen that response by placing your main listening position at 1/3rd of room length.

Are the double doors on the 11' wall? If so, are they centered on that wall?

Sanjay
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

The double doors are on the 11' wall on the left end. The screen will be on the opposite 11' wall once you walk in.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 46
How about one good subwoofer now...B-stock PSA or the LV12R save the roughly 300.00$ and add it to your $1k budget giving you $1300 to spend on speakers, use that to buy 3 quality LCR.

Year from now add a second subwoofer if you feel it's nessasary and your 2-4 sourround speakers.

With your room size start with one sub, go with a second once you have come to the conclusion that one is not enough, duals is easy to recommend but in your room size might be able to get away w one good 6-$800 sub.

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer