New Rythmik FV15HP vs Klipsch excursion question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my new FV15HP hooked up. It sounds great, hits incredibly low...absolutely great for movies. My 13yr old daughter said "oh my gosh, it feels like an earthquake!" I take that as a compliment of course.

I do have a question. The woofer doesn't seem to have as much excursion as the Klipsh RW-12d when pressed. The RW-12d goes absolutely ballistic (excursion wise) when playing thumpy music. In my brief tests, the FV15HP doesn't seem to produce much more, if any "punch" during really bassy music. This is just using Pandora with a small selection of music I like to test subs with (such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXk5w91chgI).

The Rythmik sub goes insanely low though, I was a bit worried my kidneys would liquefy when I played a sustained low note movie clip.

Just an observation I had. If anyone has any input, I'd welcome it. The settings on the sub are as recommended in the instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Your Klipsch sub was producing a lot of harmonic distortion when you drive it real hard like that. This means it was producing tones that weren't in the recordings. The Rythmik was reproducing the music more like it was intended to sound like. Still, some added punch can sound good, so if you want to bring some more of that into the music, it probably wouldn't be hard with the Rythmik. On the Rythmik's amp, set the bass extension switches to 28 under 'freq' and high under 'damping'. Turn the PEQ on, and set the PEQ gain to +3, the bandwidth to max, and the frequency to around 60 hz. Leave both ports open. This will give you the most mid bass headroom and boost the frequencies associated with that kick-in-the-chest feeling. I would also run the sub hot in the AVR too, by 3 to 6 dB, that will pound you real good. This configuration does lose some of the deep bass extension though, so for movies you may want to change it.
Lipoly likes this.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Just a note........it took about a week playing my FV15HP 3 to 5 hours every day for it to totally loosen up. And shadyJ is probably correct in stating that your Klipsch was most likely being overdriven causing harmonic distortion. Your FV15HP is in a whole different league.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
^^
That is crazy. What frequency range was the sweep? Thanks.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:16 PM

I have had my Rythmik FV15HP for over a year now. I purchased the one with the optional Silver Aluminum cone and not only does this sub look awesome and intimidating, it delivers true 20hz low frequency bass that is clean and free of distortion; it must be the direct servo design This is a well-designed sub with a great value to performance ratio. It's obviously a fantastic home theater sub but also does extremely well with music.

I replaced an already very good Paradigm Seismic 12 (class D amplifier) and have no regrets as the Rythmik takes my home theater movie experience to a much higher level... there's really no comparison between these two subs. The "Master and Commander" movie soundtrack is absolutely incredible with the Rythmik to the point where you actually can feel the exploding cannons in your gut.... truly awesome!

I had debated between the Rythmik and the comparably priced SVS 12" ported offering but decided to go with the 15" Rythmik. There's a great subwoofer shootout review on the Audioholics web site, in which both the Rythmik & SVS are part of the review.

Enjoy your Rythmik FV15HP... indeed this is a superb subwoofer!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Just a reminder, running a bunch of heavy duty sweeps can be interpreted as abuse by Rythmik, and can potentially void the warranty. From their website:
Quote:
Abuse includes continuously playing sine wave and other test tones for an extended period. A duty cycle greater than 25% is considered abuse, where the test tone plays for 15 seconds followed by a break of 45 seconds.
If you are running sweeps, take it easy on the sub, because sine sweeps are the most strenuous thing you can ask your sub to do, especially if it is at a low frequency.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipoly View Post

My 13yr old daughter said "oh my gosh, it feels like an earthquake!" I take that as a compliment of course.

Anything a thirteen year old says, that doesn't have "DAAAD!" in it, is a compliment.

...tongue.gif
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

The Klipsch can top this excursion?

Original thread post:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434901/northeast-october-20th-gtg-results-thread/0_100#post_22512841

No idea. I just know the Klipsch displayed noticeably more excursion playing the same music at same volume levels.

Not griping at all, I just know at least some on here have moved up from the Klipsch to the Rythmiks and was curious about any thoughts regarding it.

Also, during music, the amp gets pretty warm (don't have an IR gauge to know exact temp, but it is a bit uncomfortable after about 5s)...assuming that is normal?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

No idea. I just know the Klipsch displayed noticeably more excursion playing the same music at same volume levels.

Not griping at all, I just know at least some on here have moved up from the Klipsch to the Rythmiks and was curious about any thoughts regarding it.

Also, during music, the amp gets pretty warm (don't have an IR gauge to know exact temp, but it is a bit uncomfortable after about 5s)...assuming that is normal?
That does not sound normal for a vented sub. My FV15HP barely gets warm to the touch after an extended session of "loud".

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

Ah! In order to play the same "level" as the Rythmik, the Klipsch has use available xmax to compensate for the sd and port enclosure design of the Rythmik.

That said, I'm confident that you could achieve more excursion than the Klipsch, but at a notably higher SPL.

Interpretation = Turn it up.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 383
A 12" driver must move more than a 15" driver to move the same amount of air.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

That does not sound normal for a vented sub. My FV15HP barely gets warm to the touch after an extended session of "loud".

Well, that is kinda concerning. I was playing it extremely loud w/the sub volume at/near max for probably 10 songs. To be clear, it is pretty thumpy music. It never happens during movies.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Ah! In order to play the same "level" as the Rythmik, the Klipsch has use available xmax to compensate for the sd and port enclosure design of the Rythmik.

That said, I'm confident that you could achieve more excursion than the Klipsch, but at a notably higher SPL.

Interpretation = Turn it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

A 12" driver must move more than a 15" driver to move the same amount of air.

Makes sense guys, thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
^^
Really? Sub volume at near max? Do you use a receiver with Auto set up program? Audessey, YPAO, etc...?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

^^
Really? Sub volume at near max? Do you use a receiver with Auto set up program? Audessey, YPAO, etc...?

*shamed look on face*

I ran out of speaker wire for the rears so only had "3.1" setup when testing so hadn't used the YPAO yet...just testing stuff out.

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer