v1220 humming problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The problem that I have is when my avs reveiver is off (vsx-321-k-p) is off I get a loid humming from my sub (v1220) I also niticed my sub doesn't switch off with the receiver when set to auto?....should the sub switch off or at least stop humming when receiver is off? Sub is connected to receiver with regular speaker wire. Any input is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 PM

Liked: 17
I had to buy good, yet cheap, subwoofer cables from Monoprice. That stopped the hum all together.

Why go out to a movie theater?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty86 View Post

The problem that I have is when my avs reveiver is off (vsx-321-k-p) is off I get a loid humming from my sub (v1220) I also niticed my sub doesn't switch off with the receiver when set to auto?....should the sub switch off or at least stop humming when receiver is off? Sub is connected to receiver with regular speaker wire. Any input is very much appreciated.

1)By "regular speaker wire" do you mean you have the subwoofer connected via the binding post inputs on the sub? If you are using speaker wire to connect the subwoofer output jack of the receiver to one of the RCA inputs on the sub....that may be the problem. You should use a well shielded cable for this connection.

2)The auto-off circuit monitors the input on the subwoofer. When there is no signal for a certain length of time(usually 15-20 minutes) the circuit will turn off the amplifier. This circuit will "see" the interference causing the hum as a signal so it will not operate properly until you eliminate the humming problem.

Tom V.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

My receiver doesn't have a subwoofer cable output port. Instead it has just a place for me to insert speaker wire for the sub...is there another way to use the speaker wire in such a way it will eliminate the humming? And yes I'm using the speaker wire on the binding post that go streight to the receivers sub jack
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Liked: 13
What is turned on when the receiver is off? seems like some kind of interference. If you unplug the receiver all together do you still get the hum? How high is the gain set on the sub?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Liked: 18
Had a vary similar problem with one of my powered subs. Turned out to be a ground loop problem.
Google "ground loop"--you will find entire sites devoted to tracing ground loop hums.
Try a 3 prong to 2 prong AC plug adaptor, or plugging the sub into a different outlet.

Disclaimer: Use of these adapters may not comply with your local codes. You Insurance company may not be happy, or somebody could get shocked. Use at your own risk.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty86 View Post

My receiver doesn't have a subwoofer cable output port. Instead it has just a place for me to insert speaker wire for the sub...is there another way to use the speaker wire in such a way it will eliminate the humming? And yes I'm using the speaker wire on the binding post that go streight to the receivers sub jack

Pioneer vsx series? Pioneer VSX 321kp. I thought all of those were 5.1 - 7.1 receivers? Do you have a link to the owner's manual or a back panel image online? Thanks.

Nevermind, found an image

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VSX-321-K-P-5-1-Channel-3D-1080p-HDMI-RMS-Watts-Home-Theater-Receiver-/261219336080

Now THAT is a first for me. You have a 5.1 receiver with some form of HDMI but the subwoofer output is binding post style! Learn something new everyday.

Tom V.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Only thing hooked up to it is tv, ps3 and that's it. I did notice that if the sub is on but the speaker wires aren't connected the humming stops
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1220
Gear in this thread - V1220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page