Maybe a stupid question- Sub volume and two subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just moved and have set-up my HT in an open floorplan living room (= large space). Everyone says that I will need two subs to fill the space. When I ran Pioneer's auto calibration, it kept telling me to turn my current sub's (Cerwin Vega LW-12) output down. I ended up with the volume of the sub set to about 25%. I guess that I am confused as to why I should be using two subs when I'm currently only using 25% of my current sub's output.

BTW- I plan to purchase an RW-12 from Newegg while it is on sale again. If I can get the two to play nice, I'll use both; if not, I'll use the CV elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

I guess that I am confused as to why I should be using two subs when I'm currently only using 25% of my current sub's output..
Do not assume that autocal always gets it right. Where sub volume is concerned your ears are the final arbiter. Also, the position of the volume control does not reflect the actual level that the sub is running at, which is totally dependent on the overall system gain structure.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 18
Some rooms will have null points so even if you are using a high end sub, it will not suffice. The only way to solve this is having 2 or more subs. That is one benefit of having more subs.

Paradigm Studio 10 v5 | Paradigm CC 290 v6 | Paradigm ADP 190 v5 | PSA XS30 | Denon 1911
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

I guess that I am confused as to why I should be using two subs when I'm currently only using 25% of my current sub's output.

Headroom or the ability to play it loud with the movie sound track demands playing it loud.

We all listen at low volumes for general television listening and for movies, turn it up. Depending on how loud one wants it will define how much subwoofer one will need.

Now enters the sonic picture, how subwoofer produced sound waves, play and get along with each other; reinforcement/cancellation issues.

The point, in order to play it loud, one needs a lot more then the singular output of one RW-12d subwoofer.