SVS Ultra PB vs. Rythmik FV15H - But not your typical questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I've been reading and reading and would like to get a few things straight. I'm getting two of one or the other. It's a 260.00 dollar difference in favor of the Rythmiks

The amps-

SVS told me that I'd need a dedicated 15 amp circuit to run two of their ultra ported (it's a class D amp)
Rythmik told me I could throw both on with the rest of my gear. This doesn't sound right to me.

SVS has auto power off, and so does the upgraded Rythmik H600XLR2 at an extra cost of 40 dollars.

You also get the bonus of being able to control both subs with one amp however Rythmik said since I'm using LFE outputs (my AVR has 2 but they're Y'd on the inside) off my AVR that I don't need the slave control. Since my receiver will do it all for both anyways. BUT I have a Pioneer and Im not all that up on MCAAC yet. From what I understand it's lacking some sub EQ features. But, I'm not sure. Looking for some input on this.

Overall amp quality and features. Seems like this goes to SVS. SVS also seems easier, more conventional which is what I'd be more familiar with. The Rythmik has the rumble filters, and some other features that I'm not familiar with, and others have noted as being time comsuming to dial in and/or figure out. I've also read over and over that the SVS EQ is more robust.

Price/Warranty

Yet again, I've read over and over that 'for the price' the Rythmik is the better value.

I'm getting a discount and a 260.00 difference is hardly much. Plus I could get a better finish from an SVS should the subs end up in the room exposed. If I want that finish with the Rythmik it's a 35 dollar difference.

SVS has the better warranty. The upgrade program.

The customer service seems to be a tie with if anything the slight lead going to SVS.

Both woofers have similar output and I can't find overwhelming reports of one having better sound quality than the other. It seems reading posts from 2011 the favorite was the SVS. Seems lately the Rythmik is the favorite.

I need some help on these.

It looks like I'm going to be going with the original plan of JBL Pro 3677 for front stage and JBL Pro 8320 for surrounds. Need to get this sub thing figured out.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

SVS told me that I'd need a dedicated 15 amp circuit to run two of their ultra ported (it's a class D amp)
Rythmik told me I could throw both on with the rest of my gear. This doesn't sound right to me.
The Rythmik is a more efficient sub. It simply does not need as much juice to get as loud as the PB13 Ultra. Unless the rest of your gear is demanding on the circuit, the Rythmiks could work on a single circuit. Remember they are only using 600 watt RMS amps, yet they can produce greater output than the PB13.
Quote:

You also get the bonus of being able to control both subs with one amp however Rythmik said since I'm using LFE outputs (my AVR has 2 but they're Y'd on the inside) off my AVR that I don't need the slave control. Since my receiver will do it all for both anyways. BUT I have a Pioneer and Im not all that up on MCAAC yet. From what I understand it's lacking some sub EQ features. But, I'm not sure. Looking for some input on this.

Rythmik is right. There really isn't any reason to use a a slave network with these subs. Just use the sub outs on the AVR. There is no difference here.
Quote:

Overall amp quality and features. Seems like this goes to SVS. SVS also seems easier, more conventional which is what I'd be more familiar with. The Rythmik has the rumble filters, and some other features that I'm not familiar with, and others have noted as being time comsuming to dial in and/or figure out. I've also read over and over that the SVS EQ is more robust.

The Rythmik controls are no more time consuming or esoteric to figure out then the SVS controls. PEQs and filters are pretty easy to understand. Read the manual or ask in the Rythmik forum for an explanation. They can be handy features.
post #3 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

The Class D amp in the PB13-Ultra is quite efficient and only draws about 23W from the line at idle (about 0.5W in Standby mode). At loud playback levels, the amp will be pulling a few hundred watts from the line and rarely will hit peak draw of 1kW (and even then it would be very brief).

Circuit breakers are not current-limited per se - they are tripped thermally. A continuous draw device like a salon hair dryer or a vacuum cleaner will trip out a 15A breaker on occasion (I'm sure we've all dealt with that). Transient draw devices like audio amps rarely present a problem for a 15A circuit, even dual 1 kW subs.

With that said, as a matter of good practice I generally recommend isolating the HT system to its own dedicated circuit, because many houses have unbalanced loads and an existing circuit might already be taxed by other devices in the house. If you are running a BD player, an HD set-top box, an AVR, an external speaker amp, a video display/PJ, and dual 1000W subwoofers, a single 15A can probably take it, but I might lean toward a 20A for the whole system just for a cushion.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #4 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks both for your replies.

That's the one question I was going to ask of Shady J's response.

The ratio of power vs need for an extra circuit did not seem right. If 1200 watts RMS will work on a typical home circuit then why would 2000 watts RMS of efficient class D power need it's own dedicated line?

In any event it is very simple for me to add a one or two circuits via already ran line and existing outlets. I am however limited to 15 amp breakers due to the gauge of wire.

It was already the plan to have the theater on one circuit.

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:

Thanks both for your replies.

That's the one question I was going to ask of Shady J's response.

The ratio of power vs need for an extra circuit did not seem right. If 1200 watts RMS will work on a typical home circuit then why would 2000 watts RMS of efficient class D power need it's own dedicated line?

In any event it is very simple for me to add a one or two circuits via already ran line and existing outlets. I am however limited to 15 amp breakers due to the gauge of wire.

It was already the plan to have the theater on one circuit.

A dedicated 15A circuit will be fine for any typical HT system even with dual 1kW subs. While opinions vary, generally when sizing up the potential load on an AC circuit, I take the rated power of all transient (not steady state) devices and divide by 4 for a reasonably accurate estimate of the average power draw at moderate to loud playback levels. A pair of PB13U at loud playback levels on an action movie or music with a steady bass line might be pulling ~500W from the line on average.

I have a pair of PB12-Ultra/2 (each 1kW), a Denon 110W x 7 (maybe 400W true max power) AVR, and three Outlaw monoblocks 300W @ 4 ohms (so 900W total) and I have never tripped a 20A circuit breaker on any source material, even at obscene playback levels. There is simply no way this system will ever pull 20A from that line long enough to trip a breaker on normal music/movie source material.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #6 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How long has Rythmik been in business selling subs?

post #7 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It appears based on these charts that the SVS has less distortion. Am I reading this right?

post #8 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
yes but as it has been mentioned before that lower order harmonics are not audible unless its a crazy amount of distortion. SVS focuses heavily on less than 10% THD in sacrafice of output. If you do some research on SVS, many folks run into the subs limiter very easily. Almost every other ID company sub will show more distortion but in the real world you will never hear it. The FV15HP is a much better bang for the buck sub with better output in most of the FR range.
post #9 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm in a 2856 ^3 room. The main listening area is 16x15, the L area of the room is behind the seating. Room is sealed with the close of one door. I don't think I'm really struggling with the output of either speaker.

And bang for the buck isn't much when it's only a 343.00 difference assuming I didn't get the upgraded amps for the Rythmik.

I think at this point, between the two subs, I'm comparing everything but output.

post #10 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

yes but as it has been mentioned before that lower order harmonics are not audible unless its a crazy amount of distortion. SVS focuses heavily on less than 10% THD in sacrafice of output. If you do some research on SVS, many folks run into the subs limiter very easily. Almost every other ID company sub will show more distortion but in the real world you will never hear it. The FV15HP is a much better bang for the buck sub with better output in most of the FR range.

Geez I don’t know Bass. I know back in the day it used to be a issue, but I haven't really noticed a problem these days. Well unless we're talking a NSD in a large room or something like that. I have done a lot of dB racing with quite a few of their models and in most cases I would venture to say 1-2 will get the job done quite well. confused.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #11 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sounds like you have already made your mind up (check avatar). Why fight it? Either sub in dual forn in that sized doom will decimate your hearing.

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #12 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

Sounds like you have already made your mind up (check avatar). Why fight it? Either sub in dual forn in that sized doom will decimate your hearing.

I understand, but if you new what subs I have ran, built, bought and suggest.. you would have come to a different conclusion.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #13 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Geez I don’t know Bass. I know back in the day it used to be a issue, but I haven't really noticed a problem these days. Well unless we're talking a NSD in a large room or something like that. I have done a lot of dB racing with quite a few of their models and in most cases I would venture to say 1-2 will get the job done quite well. confused.gif

Oh Im sure 2 pb13 will get the job done in the op's room...I was just sayin that I have read quite a few threads where folks report getting into the limiter on SVS subs. Maybe it was the plus or nsd...my apologies for the confusion.
post #14 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

Lol... I have not. I just like to look at that sub. I can't say I'm not leaning towards the SVS, but my mind is not made up.

Quote:

I understand, but if you new what subs I have ran, built, bought and suggest.. you might have come to a different conclusion.

Huh? And , FYI- you're double posting your posts.

post #15 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm in a 2856 ^3 room. The main listening area is 16x15, the L area of the room is behind the seating. Room is sealed with the close of one door. I don't think I'm really struggling with the output of either speaker.

And bang for the buck isn't much when it's only a 343.00 difference assuming I didn't get the upgraded amps for the Rythmik.

I think at this point, between the two subs, I'm comparing everything but output.

so 343.00 is not much? I guess if I had your money I would burn mine. how are you getting such a discount?

2 Rythmik FV15HP's are 2574.00 shipped.

2 PB13U's are around 3800.00 are they not?
post #16 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so 343.00 is not much? I guess if I had your money I would burn mine. how are you getting such a discount?

2 Rythmik FV15HP's are 2574.00 shipped.

2 PB13U's are around 3800.00 are they not?

In the grand scheme of things, considering I'll have these for years, no . .. 343.00 is not much. I will not upgrade subs as I would..... say a projector. That said 343.00 is still 343.00 and that is the point of asking the community for information. I need to decide, for me, if the extra cost is worth.

post #17 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In the grand scheme of things, considering I'll have these for years, no . .. 343.00 is not much. I will not upgrade subs as I would..... say a projector. That said 343.00 is still 343.00 and that is the point of asking the community for information. I need to decide, for me, if the extra cost is worth.

how did you come up with 343 dollars? Is that each? from what I see they are about 12xx.00 difference on a pair.
post #18 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Huh? And , FYI- you're double posting your posts.

I was not responding to you. Once you refresh your screen it will take care of the 2-4 same post. I don’t know why my posts do that, but they do clear after refresh.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #19 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:

If you were order dual PB13-Ultra's in the piano finish they come to $3800 shipped, the FV15HP's are under $3200 shipped in the piano finish.

If you're not going with the piano finish the savings is quite a bit more because SVS charges the same price for either the black oak finish or piano finish when Rythmik charges more for the piano finish.

Where are you getting this $343.00 from?
post #20 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how did you come up with 343 dollars? Is that each? from what I see they are about 12xx.00 difference on a pair.

No total, shipped for 2. The price was offered to me.

Quote:

I was not responding to you. Once you refresh your screen it will take care of the 2-4 same post. I don’t know why my posts do that, but they do clear after refresh.

Weird on the double post deal. I didn't think you were responding to me, but I still didn't understand.

post #21 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:

No total, shipped for 2. The price was offered to me.
Weird on the double post deal. I didn't think you were responding to me, but I still didn't understand.

So SVS is selling you dual PB13-Ultra's for less then $3800?
post #22 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

If you were order dual PB13-Ultra's in the piano finish they come to $3800 shipped, the FV15HP's are under $3200 shipped in the piano finish.

If you're not going with the piano finish the savings is quite a bit more because SVS charges the same price for either the black oak finish or piano finish when Rythmik charges more for the piano finish.

Where are you getting this $343.00 from?

Actually the Rythmiks in piano finish is 2974.00 shipped. This is one of the differences I am considering, along with amps, customer service/support, longevity, time in business, sound quality, and build quality, how likely is it each company will be around in 10 years, to certain degree servo tech vs. non servo tech, etc. etc. etc.

post #23 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I was just being bitchy concerning my mind being already made up concerning my avatar. Sorry for the sidetrack.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #24 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I was just being bitchy concerning my mind being already made up concerning my avatar. Sorry for the sidetrack.

I get it now. I think that original comment was directed at me. We seem to have the same avatar! wink.gif

PS- no worries.

If we can get past avatars and prices maybe I can get some info to put my eyes and mind to rest. I've been reading for days, and today alone since about 8 am.

post #25 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

I get it now. I think that original comment was directed at me. We seem to have the same avatar! wink.gif

PS- no worries.

If we can get past avatars and prices maybe I can get some info to put my eyes and mind to rest. I've been reading for days, and today alone since about 8 am.
Sounds like you are suffering from a major case of paralysis by over analysis.

One question.........how do you plan to use your subs? When I am talking about is percentage movie to music. If you listen at all to music or watch concerts, the servo technology in the Rythmik is something to consider as it really tightens up the bass when set to high damping.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #26 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

PS- no worries.

Sounds like you are suffering from a major case of paralysis by over analysis.

One question.........how do you plan to use your subs? What I am talking about is percentage movie to music. If you listen at all to music or watch concerts, the servo technology in the Rythmik is something to consider as it really tightens up the bass when set to high damping. Also, servo technology is supposed to help reduce the distorsion factor.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #27 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:

This data on circuit breakers will give you insight as to how much current a breaker can handle and for how long.

Series C F-frame circuit breaker time current curves

Look to page three for information regarding 15A breakers.
post #28 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually the Rythmiks in piano finish is 2974.00 shipped. This is one of the differences I am considering, along with amps, customer service/support, longevity, time in business, sound quality, and build quality, how likely is it each company will be around in 10 years, to certain degree servo tech vs. non servo tech, etc. etc. etc.

Even in piano black there is a 9xx.00 difference, The FV15HP is a much better buy. also there is no amp option, they come standard with 600watt servo amps. Also the Rythmik will be alot more musical from what I have read over at audioholics.

Again what is the total price you were quoted for 2 piano black PB13U's?
post #29 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah you have a really tough decition to make. I would interject but in the end it's up to you. Imo you can't go wrong no matter what your choice is. I recognise there might be some other dilimas that you (might?) be considering in the back of your head also?? cool.gif
Quote:
I don't think I'm really struggling with the output of either speaker.

No not at all.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #30 of 60 Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

O was referring to the OP's avatar, not yours. He made a thread asking what sub he should buy between Rythmik and SVS. He has a SVS woofer as his avatar. I have no idea what sub is in your avatar. Mine is a Rythmik FV15HP gloss black. I hope that clears things up a little;)

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb13 Ultra , Jbl 8320 Compact Cinema Surround Speaker For Digital Applications

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page