post #31 of 31 Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I don't doubt the KK sub is a worthy contender and it's great that you enjoy yours. It sounds like you have your KK sub very well integrated in your system, and I congratulate you on that, especially if you accomplished it without measurements. Do you use any Room Correction?

Nonetheless, you made it sound like your sub had some "magical" properties that other subs don't have. All I'm pointing out is that what you're hearing is the effect of good system integration and not some magical properties of your specific subwoofer.

Corner loading of a subwoofer does yield increased output, and it can be as much as 6+ db. However, that increased output is caused by maximal excitation of all the room modes. If your room has a fairly even distribution of modes, then you'll see the extra output with fairly flat frequency response. However, many rooms don't have even distribution of modes. They're usually bunched around certain frequencies, at the expense of others. In those rooms, corner loading will yield boomy, one-note bass due to the maximal excitation of the unevenly distributed room modes. There is nothing "magical" about the KK sub that can overcome this phenomenon.

Again, I congratulate you on the excellent integration of your sub into your room and system. I just caution not to attribute to something it's not; some magical properties of your specific sub.

Craig

I use Audyssey XT32 and the room is well treated and prior to getting the DXD I had a M&K MX150 THX sub that indeed when placed deep in the corner became boomy and excited a peak at 50hz, while bass traps helped a bit a notch filter and spl meter where the only tools I had at the time to help tame it futher, that and pulling it out a foot all around it sounded great. i plan on getting into measurements soon to see what further improvements are to be had with a Pro Kit as well but I'll still depend on my ears to be the final judge.

Not talking about magical properties here wink.gif just a well designed sub but if you need to attribute that to magic then that makes Ken some sort of a wizard biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page