Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I am curious who to know.

Who here with EXTENSIVE sub woofer experience has gotten rid of a Rythmik, SVS, PSA, HSU, CHT, JTR sub setup due to sound quality or other reason?

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think you will be hard pressed to find someone that has gotten rid of one of those subs due to sound quality. However I know there is a member on here (sorry forgot who it was) who sold their 15h because he went DIY. The only reason people would be willing to sell those subs is to chase the single digits which is only possible with spending a ton of cash on ID and even still depending on room acoustics may not be possible.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

I think you will be hard pressed to find someone that has gotten rid of one of those subs due to sound quality. However I know there is a member on here (sorry forgot who it was) who sold their 15h because he went DIY. The only reason people would be willing to sell those subs is to chase the single digits which is only possible with spending a ton of cash on ID and even still depending on room acoustics may not be possible.

^this!
post #4 of 22 Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't think anyone would say they've sold any of the mentioned brands based on SQ. Some may say they've noticed an improvment when moving from one brand to another, but I doubt it would be a factor before they moved away from one brand.

As mentioned, many people who move away from the mentioned subs probably do so to pursue DIY. Though it doesn't take a "ton of cash" to reach single digits, and it isn't only possible with ID subs. For the price of a JTR Cap you could easily build a DIY setup that outperforms every sub listed, hits single digits with ease and authority, all with better sound quality.

post #5 of 22 Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 556
When I moved my HT from my main-floor family room to my newly-finished basement HT space, I replaced my SVS PB10-NSD with a PB12-NSD in order to get greater "pressurization".

After a couple of years, I replaced the PB12-NSD with a pair of ChaseHT SS-18.1s because I wanted a bit more output and I felt that the PB12, while great with movies, sounded a bit "flabby" with music.

I've had my ChaseHT SS-18.1s for a little over two years and I'm still very happy with them. If I were to replace them, it would be to get a pair of subs that would provide greater extension than the flat-to-17Hz I'm currently getting.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 555
got rid of SVS pb12-nsd...because the grill kept rattling loose. during bass intensive passages. glad it kept falling off, because the PSA xv15 blows it away for 50$ more

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

My first HT build threadhttp://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...rst-build.html
post #7 of 22 Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I have owned quiet a few different subs. I think the single best thing I ever did was using multiple subs. The smoother room response had a bigger impact than how deep or loud the subs went. I reference this to using some nice subs although not super expensive. In one setup I had an Epik Legend, SVS 25-31 and Premiere Acoustic. Although not identical, they blended well together and the bass was clean and articulate. Currently I am using dual Chase 18.1 subs that will go deeper and louder. The key is that good bass comes from careful setup and tweaking with multiple subs to even out the response in the room.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #8 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. FYI I went with PSA dual XV 30fs.

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #9 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
^^
Awesome. Get ready to be amazed:)
post #10 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Who here with EXTENSIVE sub woofer experience has gotten rid of a Rythmik, SVS, PSA, HSU, CHT, JTR sub setup due to sound quality or other reason?

I have changed subs more times than I can remember including DIY... 13 SVS’s alone. I really had no reason once I reached a certain level except to say I just like subs so much and wanted to experience all that I could. I finally pretty much snapped out of it. I remember one time buying two 13” ULTRA’S and then selling them after a month to do a DIY project... ridiculous!
Quote:
Thanks. FYI I went with PSA dual XV 30fs.

That’s great, good for you. CONGRATS! cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #11 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I remember one time buying two 13” ULTRA’S and then selling them after a month to do a DIY project... ridiculous!

I see this sort of behavior in a better light, one of entertainment vs that of being ridiculous. I still have a couple of large boxes filled with camera bags as I pretty much tried every bag combination out there. The conclusion, it's the fault of lense manufactures for not giving lenses enough useful range as their cutoff points, required carrying several additional lenses, to their financial benefit. In the meantime, I had a blast trying out all the different bag combinations and this doesn't include all the additional lenses I tried that I didn't have need of. My wife thought I had lost my mind but I was having fun; entertainment; a hobby.

In the case of subwoofers, they're much larger than a lense/carrying case combination as pretty much, in our case, life has been narrowed down to Rythmik and PSA.

There are only so many locations in the living room for a subwoofer and with forums such as AVS, one is able to easily gain the collective wisdom of many years of experience in which to base a buying decision so one is able to buy once or twice and be done with it and then worry about more important things such as, which metal detector to buy or what organic garden product should be introduced into the garden this week. tongue.gif

Sounds like you were having a blast with all the different subwoofers you bought. Envy, envy, envy. biggrin.gif
post #12 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like you were having a blast with all the different subwoofers you bought. Envy, envy, envy. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the good word Bee, but the truth is I’m a/was SW addict. I did have fun though and still do to a degree. It’s more of a hobby now, so that’s much more of a better thing. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #13 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have changed subs more times than I can remember including DIY... 13 SVS’s alone. I really had no reason once I reached a certain level except to say I just like subs so much and wanted to experience all that I could. I finally pretty much snapped out of it. I remember one time buying two 13” ULTRA’S and then selling them after a month to do a DIY project... ridiculous!

So, a side from DIY, which are. Your favorite?

post #14 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

post #15 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me be sure I understand your question correctly.. your asking me what was my favorite ID sub? Don’t mean to be slow, there is a period in your question, so I just want to confirm is all.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #16 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the good word Bee, but the truth is I’m a/was SW addict. I did have fun though and still do to a degree. It’s more of a hobby now, so that’s much more of a better thing. smile.gif

To continue being encouraging....we all need outlets of entertainment. Some go on cruises, some get lap dances, some like to light candles. In the end, we all have to do something with time not involved with chasing the all important dollar. Look at it this way, for entertainment purposes, you could be addicted to outboard motors.

Let's see, should I buy a Yamaha 225HP outboard motor and a Zodiak to match or a pair of Rythmik, F25's.......hmmmmmmmm.

...biggrin.gif

or

post #17 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me be sure I understand your question correctly.. your asking me what was my favorite ID sub? Don’t mean to be slow, there is a period in your question, so I just want to confirm is all.

Correct. And, that was my fault. Im on the iPad right now and sometimes i let it get the best of me. smile.gif

post #18 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

To continue being encouraging....we all need outlets of entertainment. Some go on cruises, some get lap dances, some like to light candles. In the end, we all have to do something with time not involved with chasing the all important dollar. Look at it this way, for entertainment purposes, you could be addicted to outboard motors.

Let's see, should I buy a Yamaha 225HP outboard motor and a Zodiak to match or a pair of Rythmik, F25's.......hmmmmmmmm.

...biggrin.gif

or

Ha ha.. Yeah I remember selling my truck and boat when we found out our first was on the way. It was a list of different things after that although more productive.. like working on our houses and lots of lawn work. I remember chomping at the bit so I could come home and work on some house/outside project.

Ha! How much do I owe you for your services today Bee? biggrin.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #19 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Only when I upgrade to Rythmik F15HP, will I consider selling my F12SE. biggrin.gif
post #20 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I would choose the ACi Maestro! It was a pretty heavily Q’d sealed sub with a +-2dB down to 18Hz. Did it ever sound good and had the authority I wanted out of a sealed down low.

http://www.audioc.com/SVold/maestro/reviews/craigchase.htm

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/209739-aci-maestro-subwoofer/

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #21 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Just saw this thread. Yes, I have owned SVS, CHT, and JTR and sold them all.

LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Ha! How much do I owe you for your services today Bee? biggrin.gif

...biggrin.gif