connecting speakers to subwoffer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I wanted to know if there is any sound quality loss when connecting speakers through subwoofer output...?

what's leading me to this question is the fact that I noticed that so many stereo amps, even the most expensive one's, do not have a sub out...how come??

thanks for your help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Well, it depends. And is arguable.

If the subwoofer is not applying a high-pass filter to the speaker-level outputs, and is simply passing through a speaker-level signal, full-range, then there is probably no degradation. But if this is how the subwoofer operates (no high-pass on the speaker-level outputs), there is really no good reason, except for perhaps wiring tidiness, that you should connect the speakers directly to the subwoofer in the first place. You can simply connect both the sub and speakers, in parallel, to the amplifier's speaker outputs.

If, however, the sub DOES high-pass its speaker-level outputs, some might argue that this could be degradative to the overall sound of the setup because the speaker-level high-pass filter built into many subwoofers is pretty crude. That said, one could also probably argue that high-passing smaller speakers is a good thing,

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

My guess would be that people who buy stereo amps/receivers will use them with full range speakers.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A full-range mono output (or R/L outputs) on an integrated amp might be useful for connecting a subwoofer, but with a pre-amp/amplifier setup, the pre-amp's outputs can be split using a splitter ahead of the amplifier in order to get a full-range signal to the subwoofer.

But, very few 2-channel pre-amps or integrated amps have a low-passed subwoofer output. A few do, though, and these, of course, DO have a subwoofer output.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys!

you just saved me a few bucks, I guess I won't go for a stereo amp after all...
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shina411 View Post

thanks for the info guys!

you just saved me a few bucks, I guess I won't go for a stereo amp after all...

Hmmmm. confused.gif

How's that?

A lot of people run a 2-channel setup with sub with the speakers running full-range and the sub's variable low-pass filter adjusted to the speaker's roll-off.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Hmmmm. confused.gif

How's that?

A lot of people run a 2-channel setup with sub with the speakers running full-range and the sub's variable low-pass filter adjusted to the speaker's roll-off.

well I already bought book shelf speakers (infinity primus p163), I've been debating between a desktop amp (audioengine n22 that have sub out) and a martantz pm5004 amp, 'Mrkazador' mentioned that stereo amps are for full ranged speakers...so I guess the martantz is just not for me.

I've better spend the rest of my bucks on a sub rather than a stereo amp...am I right???
post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shina411 View Post

well I already bought book shelf speakers (infinity primus p163), I've been debating between a desktop amp (audioengine n22 that have sub out) and a martantz pm5004 amp, 'Mrkazador' mentioned that stereo amps are for full ranged speakers...so I guess the martantz is just not for me.

I've better spend the rest of my bucks on a sub rather than a stereo amp...am I right???

Both the amps you mention are "stereo amps".

Even with bookshelf speakers, if you have a 2-channel system without any sort of high-pass filter being applied to the speakers, your speakers would be considered to be running "full-range".

That Audioengine amp doesn't really have a "sub out", per se. It has a variable pre-out, which will pass a full-range signal. There is no low-pass filter, there. If you connect a subwoofer to it, you will still need to use the sub's own variable low-pass filter to adjust it to your speakers' roll-off.

Provided the sub has speaker-level inputs, you don't need a "sub out" to connect a subwoofer. With that Marantz it would be as simple as using the parallel "B" speaker outputs to connect a subwoofer and then you'd adjust the subwoofer's own variable low-pass filter to the speakers' roll-off just as you would with the Audioengine amp.

I would hazard a guess that the Marantz is a much nicer piece of equipment than that Audioengine amp.

Whichever of the two you decide to do, make certain your subwoofer has a variable low-pass filter.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page