Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Depends. A couple of suggestions, if you have a crawl space, under the house. If carpeted, there's a gap between the tack strip and the wall the cable can lay in.

Its a hardwood floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp0z3d View Post

Its a hardwood floor.

Is it a hardwood floor, over a raised crawl space?
post #63 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Most liklely laid over cement the way it is going. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #64 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Most liklely laid over cement the way it is going. smile.gif

I have to agree but hey, hope springs eternal.
post #65 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to agree but hey, hope springs eternal.

You sure have shown hope I admit. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #66 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Its directly over cement. So no space beneath the floor of the house.

Guys where should I hunt for special deals on these subs , used subs for sale etc?
post #67 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Its directly over cement. So no space beneath the floor of the house.

In that case, run it across the wood floor and hold the cable in place with quality gaffer's tape. tongue.gif

One can use a wireless transmitter or pry the floor molding away from the wall. Usually there's a sheetrock gap one could tuck the cable into and then tap the floor molding back in place.

Quote:
Guys where should I hunt for special deals on these subs , used subs for sale etc?

One can check out the forum classified ads, go to Audiogon classified or checkout Craig's list but these subs are pretty much rock bottom as far as pricing goes and the cheaper one goes, in this case, the more they're hurting their purpose, improving bass output.
post #68 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif mmm

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #69 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM

If you do not mind going used there might be some great deals available. I sold my old M&K 350, which I loved, to engage another project, and ended up with a Dayton Titanic 12 sub kit. The sub has been great for both movies and music in a garage with vaulted ceilings. It is also poorly placed on top of a refrigerator for space saving reasons. Just keep your eyes open on the classifieds and save up your duckets in the meantime. That is a $630 sub kit and I got it for $340.00 and am extremely pleased.

Just went through Craigslist in my area and found a Polk DWS Micropro1000 for $400 - sells new for $900. Some lesser subs for $150 and $200...
post #70 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javig999 View Post

If you do not mind going used there might be some great deals available. I sold my old M&K 350, which I loved, to engage another project, and ended up with a Dayton Titanic 12 sub kit. The sub has been great for both movies and music in a garage with vaulted ceilings. It is also poorly placed on top of a refrigerator for space saving reasons. Just keep your eyes open on the classifieds and save up your duckets in the meantime. That is a $630 sub kit and I got it for $340.00 and am extremely pleased.

Just went through Craigslist in my area and found a Polk DWS Micropro1000 for $400 - sells new for $900. Some lesser subs for $150 and $200...

Yeah I was kind of curious to see what are subs which I can look for in used market. Now while reading these forums I am becoming familiar with some good subs so look for them in used but no luck so far.
post #71 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

As an owner of a RW-12d based subwoofer system, I can say with personal certainty, you'll wish you had bought better. With empathy and understanding, based on personal experience, allow me to encourage you considering waiting until you can afford the next pricing level and if that's not a possibility, you might find you'll need three RW-12d's to make your room come alive.

Ok, you've got my attention.

I was looking at the RW-12d, but came here to see if I needed to reach into my pocket and spend a bit more, maybe $500-600?

My room is 12x19, dedicated ht.

I think I've settled on
RB-52 for the front
RC-52 for the center
RS-41 for the surround

The subs I'm looking at so far:
Klipsch rw-12d
HSU
SVS pb-1000
B&W ASW610

I do not want to shake the house. This is for movies and video games.
post #72 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM

If looking at a single subwoofer solution with a $500.00 - $600.00 budget, allow me to recommend you looking at a Rythmik, LV12R with an eye on buying another at a later date.

Quote:
I do not want to shake the house. This is for movies and video games.

Hmmmmmm! When on sale at Newegg.com, which they currently are, you might consider purchasing two Klipsch, RW-12d's.

If a dedicated Home Theater room that's sealed off from the rest of the home, at minimum, I'd look to a pair of SVS, SB-1000's or a pair of SVS, SB12-NSD's. Sealed spaces love sealed subwoofers.

Just saying, and it's normal, when you play your movies, you'll find yourself wishing you could shake the house.
post #73 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 PM

I shake the house = my wife leaves the house.

Ok, not really. But maybe.

What's the advantage of a sealed sub. The room is downstairs so certainly somewhat sealed off.

What's the advantage of two subs? Just more boom?
post #74 of 84 Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM

If I buy the package I can get the Klipsch RB-51II Home Theater System for free.

How does this sub stack up to the RW-12d, etc?
post #75 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

What's the advantage of a sealed sub. The room is downstairs so certainly somewhat sealed off.

In the case of sealed subs, my understanding, they roll off slower then vented subs and sealed subs are better equipped to take advantage of room gain, which shows itself as deeper extension or the lifting of the left side of a room measurement graph.

Quote:
What's the advantage of two subs? Just more boom?

The first benefit, there's the co-location gain (more output) one is gifted with multiple subs and then there's room smoothing as sound waves don't play or get along well with a room's acoustics. Due to this, one gets noise cancellation and reinforcement issues. Due to this, certain notes are more pronounced and other notes are reduced so there isn't a smooth response. Not good. Multiple subs help smooth out these issues with three subs being the minimum sweet number to help cure these issues. You don't do it to get more boom but instead one does it to get rid of boominess; sound quality.

-
post #76 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not all sealed subs are created equal. Due to roll-off some are more heavily EQ’d than others and some stretch that EQ lower, thus giving up some headroom. Some will ad back that head-room by adding more power. In general/short a good sealed is a very well behaved sub. A good vented will be also though.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #77 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

If I buy the package I can get the Klipsch RB-51II Home Theater System for free.

How does this sub stack up to the RW-12d, etc?

What package you are buying to get that for free?

klipsch rw 12d is on sale now for $300 but I am still not buying because I am kinda now stuck on getting that Rythmik sub and seeing if I can save some money from here and there and spend $500 + instead of $300. Although I dun know if I would be able to do or not. But I like what I have read about that sub. My second choice would be Pb 1000.
post #78 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 PM

post #79 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:

I am not in any hurry because I am moving to new place at end of July. Looking forward to your experience.

Just got the es250 today...i spent a little time integrating it with my xv15's. I will say for 199.00 shipped its one hell of a good sub and came packaged very well. Its actually a very nice looking sub, digs deeper than my previously owned psw505's, and has good output. The down firing port helps mask any chuffing, but i did hear some when pushed to its max...although you had to be within a foot to hear it. It actually contributes to my xv15's fairly well. I even ran it solo and was suprised the output it had. Now its definately nowhere near a PSA sub, but its definately a solid performer on the cheap. I will have to say Beeman is on point when he recomends 3 subs because my WHOLE room came to life adding a third. I definately think a third xv15 is in order. I unhooked my mini dsp to get a idea of the un eq'd response and the third really smoothed it out from what it sounds like...i dont notice the big 30hz peak any more. I will pull the measuring gear out when I get a chance and see what it looks like.

post #80 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Just got the es250 today...i spent a little time integrating it with my xv15's. I will say for 199.00 shipped its one hell of a good sub and came packaged very well. Its actually a very nice looking sub, digs deeper than my previously owned psw505's, and has good output. The down firing port helps mask any chuffing, but i did hear some when pushed to its max...although you had to be within a foot to hear it. It actually contributes to my xv15's fairly well. I even ran it solo and was suprised the output it had. Now its definately nowhere near a PSA sub, but its definately a solid performer on the cheap. I will have to say Beeman is on point when he recomends 3 subs because my WHOLE room came to life adding a third. I definately think a third xv15 is in order. I unhooked my mini dsp to get a idea of the un eq'd response and the third really smoothed it out from what it sounds like...i dont notice the big 30hz peak any more. I will pull the measuring gear out when I get a chance and see what it looks like.

Congrats on your new sub bass! I had no idea you were picking up another. I’m sure this is a hold you over kind of thing but it's surprising what the little guys can do isn't it. I know I was surprised with the 12D after running so many other types of subs. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #81 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Congrats on your new sub bass! I had no idea you were picking up another. I’m sure this is a hold you over kind of thing but it's surprising what the little guys can do isn't it. I know I was surprised with the 12D after running so many other types of subs. smile.gif

Thanks. I bought it for one of my Touch Tune juke box locations. I am in the coin op business and install juke boxes, pool tables, video games in bars/clubs and split the profits. Anyhow, I wanted to try it in my living room first to see if it would fill the mid room 8-10db drop that I could not get rid of no matter how I placed my XV subs. I will say there is something to be said about having a even response across the whole room, not just the seats. It appears no matter what sub I use, 3 is a minimum to properly fill the room with a even response. I assume its due to the huge opening in the left side of my room. I cant imagine what 3 XV15's will sound like. This was more so just a test to see if a third would be worth the $ spent before actually spending it smile.gif

I actually might hold on to it a bit and get another sub for my T. tunes location lol.
post #82 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I bought it for one of my Touch Tune juke box locations. I am in the coin op business and install juke boxes, pool tables, video games in bars/clubs and split the profits. Anyhow, I wanted to try it in my living room first to see if it would fill the mid room 8-10db drop that I could not get rid of no matter how I placed my XV subs. I will say there is something to be said about having a even response across the whole room, not just the seats. It appears no matter what sub I use, 3 is a minimum to properly fill the room with a even response. I assume its due to the huge opening in the left side of my room. I cant imagine what 3 XV15's will sound like. This was more so just a test to see if a third would be worth the $ spent before actually spending it smile.gif

I actually might hold on to it a bit and get another sub for my T. tunes location lol.

That’s rite duh me, I remember you talking about picking something up for your BBQ deck or something like that. Anyway I’m glad you found out what a third will do now (in your room) Looks like another XV is in order. I’ll cancel the other subs I spoke to you about earlier then. biggrin.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #83 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol...yes please cancel that request. tongue.gif
post #84 of 84 Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol...yes please cancel that request. tongue.gif

Ha! I'll see if the 10" driver guy will take them. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver , Polk Audio Monitor 60 Am6022 A 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Cs20 Center Channel Speaker , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Jbl Es250pbk 12 Inch Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page