Urgent help please!! JTR Cap S1 or SubMersive(1000w) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys

Just wondering if I could obtain some urgent advice!

I've wanted to buy a Seaton or JTR for ages ; currently have a HSU VTF-15.

I advertised my HSU and it's pending sale ; this is on the basis I got lucky and got in contact with a guy who has 2 Submersives new in box for a HT room-build and doesn't need one. He hasn't finished his room yet and they're both unused/unpacked. I'm about to buy one of his like, today(!), when.. :

Jeff from JTR manages to respond to my quote request for a new Cap S1 from a week or so ago! Took him a while to respond and I figured his silence meant he just couldn't help/wasn't online.

So.. my urgent dilemma question now is, would you buy a Captivator S1(brand new) or.. Submersive(1000w)-used but unboxed/unused. What do I do - help!

Will the Submersive's warranty be transferable to me..?

Price shipped will be about the same for both. I'm in Australia and the submersive is new in box locally from a private buyer. The Cap S1 will come from Jeff - with customs taxes etc it will cost the same as the Submersive available locally.

I listen to both movie and music playback. This will purely be an LFE sub though. Nothing else. Use is probably 80% 5.1 movie playback (crashes explosions etc), and 20% music playback (ie 5.1 dvd/blu music concerts).

My room is in feet 16(D)x11(W) - the side though opens up to a dining room and kitchen. The whole space I reckon would be about 22x20 ft.

Please help me choose!! Which one do I go for! Thankyou!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Either one would be a great choice. I'd probably buy the submersive since it's local and I could get it right away though biggrin.gif

post #3 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
I would go submersive for the reasons stated above!
post #4 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Are you saying this on the basis that the S1 may not be ready/available yet for Jeff to ship?

I have no idea if there's any 'wait' time on JTR gear - just sent jeff a response asking these questions. He's a busy man to pin down lol =).

U may overestimate ship time - shipping to Australia from US is only 1 week. The Submersive would take a day or two. No big deal re: difference. I just want to pick the right sub lol!

The big question for me will be whether a used Submersive warranty is transferable. I have no idea I'd better read up about it.

Thanks!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Either one is a solid choice. If you're anything like me though I would want it right now and not wait.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
This was taken from the Seaton site:

All new items carry a 3 year warranty from manufacture defect from the time of receipt of the product. Warranty is fully transferable with the current owner supplying us with the new owner's name, e-mail, and postal code.

EDIT: New items carry a 3 year warranty. Mark has been selling some SubMersive with pre-owned 1000W amp at a discounted price. If its a pre-owned amp, then the Warranty is 1 year on the amplifier, 3 years on the enclosure and 15" drivers. Amplifiers out of warranty will continue to be serviceable.

All this can be found on the link above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou Bunga99 and everyone!

Now just to wait and see how long hypothetically, a Captivator S1 would take to get to me - hopefully Jeff responds soon and can advise availability.

Am I right in recalling the AVS shootout where the CapS1 was slightly better for movies and the Seaton slightly better for music..? This does intrigue me because I use HT far more.. That shootout was duals though of each, wasn't it? Not a single? I'm definitely only buying 1. Although in a few years I might add a 2nd when we move house lol! No space for a second one in my current home unfortunately.

Decisions... =)

Thanks!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ooops.. Actually, the JTR will be $270 more than the Seaton. Just calculated the customs and duties $. I underestimated..
post #9 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Bunga99 thx so much for the warranty edit!

The Seaton is a new amp version (1000w) - been in storage for 10 months ; unpacked/unused. Intended for a yet to commence HT build but the guy doesn't need 2 Submersives - happy to sell me one. Sounds like full warranty on new which is great.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think you will be splitting hairs between those two. Another thing to consider is that the Submersive is upgradable to the current more powerful amp. It is a resonably priced upgrade that gives a pretty significant boost in performance if you listen near or at reference levels. Either way, I say go with the cheaper one and know that most people would not be able to distinguish much of a difference between those two choices. One thing you will notice though is how much more bass you will get from your new sub over your Hsu. The difference is NOT subtle! For reference, I have owned a Hsu VTF-3 MK4, original SubM and currently SubM HP.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 309
They are both great subs and I would also go with the local purchase. Tis a no-brainer smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #12 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all!! =)
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page