SVS PB1000 or Rythmik LV12R..narrowed it down to these two candidates. Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/68125-svs-pb1000-rythmik-lv12r-narrowed-down-these-two-candidates.html#ixzz2WqxJyNV7 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 69 Old 09-21-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 268
We have a huge spreadsheet of CEA-2010 data on all SVS subs and most of the competition. It starts with dB Peak values (as generated by the software) and then we convert to dB RMS values (for an apples to apples comparison to Josh Ricci and the legacy data from AVTalk and Ilkka).

I made an error and looked at the 20 Hz dB Peak table for the PB-1000 in that above quote of me as posted by one of our customers. The rest of the quote - which essentially converts from 2M GP to indoors with boundary reinforcement and room gain - stands as valid. Just to clarify - below are our CEA-2010 2M GP dB RMS values for the PB-1000:

16 Hz 91.9
20 Hz 99.8 (previously misquoted as 102.8 which is the dB Peak value)
25 Hz 102.9
31.5 Hz 104.0
40 Hz 107.4

The above posters are correct - the PB12-NSD has on average about 3 dB more headroom than the PB-1000 in the 16-32 Hz octave. In the 40-80 Hz octave they are closer to parity.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 69 Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SaviorMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I'm Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Thanks for clarifying, Ed.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
SaviorMachine is offline  
post #63 of 69 Old 09-21-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 5,337
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Wow Ed. That's impressive for the little pb1000. I can't believe how much output this little guy has.

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian


Rivers Edge Theater
brian6751 is online now  
 
post #64 of 69 Old 09-21-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

We have a huge spreadsheet of CEA-2010 data on all SVS subs and most of the competition. It starts with dB Peak values (as generated by the software) and then we convert to dB RMS values (for an apples to apples comparison to Josh Ricci and the legacy data from AVTalk and Ilkka).

I made an error and looked at the 20 Hz dB Peak table for the PB-1000 in that above quote of me as posted by one of our customers. The rest of the quote - which essentially converts from 2M GP to indoors with boundary reinforcement and room gain - stands as valid. Just to clarify - below are our CEA-2010 2M GP dB RMS values for the PB-1000:

16 Hz 91.9
20 Hz 99.8 (previously misquoted as 102.8 which is the dB Peak value)
25 Hz 102.9
31.5 Hz 104.0
40 Hz 107.4

The above posters are correct - the PB12-NSD has on average about 3 dB more headroom than the PB-1000 in the 16-32 Hz octave. In the 40-80 Hz octave they are closer to parity.
Hi Ed, is this spreadsheet available on your website?
dominguez1 is offline  
post #65 of 69 Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Hi Ed, is this spreadsheet available on your website?

No - it's for internal SVS R&D use. With that said, Josh already has the CEA-2010 data on several SVS subs.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #66 of 69 Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post


No - it's for internal SVS R&D use. With that said, Josh already has the CEA-2010 data on several SVS subs.

 

Thanks Ed, understood. Just so I'm clear, are your measurements of your SVS subs available in the public domain? I see you posted the PB1000...didn't know if others were available.

dominguez1 is offline  
post #67 of 69 Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Thanks Ed, understood. Just so I'm clear, are your measurements of your SVS subs available in the public domain? I see you posted the PB1000...didn't know if others were available.

When the situation and circumstances dictate (like this thread), I'll provide CEA-2010 data on various SVS models. And I've never been shy about discussing the max output differences between SVS models. But the entire spreadsheet (which also contains the data for many competitive brands) is not (and won't become) publicly available.
thegimmper likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
post #68 of 69 Old 09-21-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post


When the situation and circumstances dictate (like this thread), I'll provide CEA-2010 data on various SVS models. And I've never been shy about discussing the max output differences between SVS models. But the entire spreadsheet (which also contains the data for many competitive brands) is not (and won't become) publicly available.

 

Makes sense...I can certainly respect that.

 

Just to give you some context on why I ask, I've created a thread Your Home Theater ULF Score not to compare subs, but to compare HT Room's (from a ULF perspective). I use the CEA-2010 data from Josh as well as try to estimate other subs not tested by Josh. Again, the purpose is not to compare sub measurements, but HT Rooms.

 

I'll add the PB1000 to the list. Thanks!

dominguez1 is offline  
post #69 of 69 Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Makes sense...I can certainly respect that.

Just to give you some context on why I ask, I've created a thread Your Home Theater ULF Score not to compare subs, but to compare HT Room's (from a ULF perspective). I use the CEA-2010 data from Josh as well as try to estimate other subs not tested by Josh. Again, the purpose is not to compare sub measurements, but HT Rooms.

I'll add the PB1000 to the list. Thanks!

Sure - no sweat. As Josh has correctly pointed out in other threads, every room has a unique modal pattern at the measurement location which can sometimes have a significant impact on the in-room CEA-2010 data. I suspect one of the reasons Josh even bothers to measure CEA-2010 data in-room is to educate readers on the major influence the room can have on subwoofer performance, and it validates and reinforces the reason we all measure subwoofers outdoors at 2M GP. It's a consistent test environment free of boundary effects and standing waves, which allows a true comparison of various subwoofers in terms of FR, max output, distortion levels and harmonic signature, phase response, etc.
1MediaGuy likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off