Professional bass advice requested... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off hello, and great to finally be a member of AVS after being a long time lurker and seeker of "sound" advice. Pleasantries aside lets get down to business. I'm looking for a solid sub to finish of my new HT.

The deets:

Personally i'm a bit of a blasphamist and I'm not an audiophile seeking perfect sound reproduction. I like bright speakers (but not too harsh on the highs), I use HT for 70% movies, 30% gaming, <1% music. I like my explosions and gun shots to be felt rather than heard. I'm thinking a 15" in a ported enclosure my suite my needs, but I also would like it to be relatively tight. Room size is a bit of an inconsistant variable at the moment as I'll be moving out of a one bedroom apartment in 6 months into a larger home. If i had to guess I'd say somewhere in the 15'x20' range and it will be carpeted. So for now I'm looking to buy one suband later another to run 7.2. My budget is $500-800.

The equipment I call HT ver1.0 is:
FR/FL: Energy CB20's
RR/RL: Energy CB10's
Center: Energy CC-10
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-67

Future plans include the purchase of a quality set of floor speakers ($3000-4500/pair), upgrading center channel, moving 20's to rear surround, and purchasing another set (unless i fall in love with something else) for surrounds. The main plan is to center the system around current reciever and having an enjoyable quality sub setup that can grow with my needs. Thank you all in advance for your suggestions and advice.

P.s. it has to be somewhat aesthetically appeasing to keep the gf from boxing upu the whole thing and telling me NO lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
The best 15" powered sub in the 500-800.00 range I can think of is a PSA XV-15 for 799.00 shipped.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xv15

The PSA is possibly the best bang for your buck option at this time. Just depends on how you rate all your priorities. OH! Is $800 really the top of the line budget? For $150 more you can get the XV15 done in veneer.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #4 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve, just so you know I am not pimping PSA tongue.gif , The op inquired about 15" subs specifically in the 5-800.00 range or else I would of listed other options. smile.gif
post #5 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

I really like the specs of the PSA. I've seen recommendations for Epik subs. Are they worth the money or all hype?
post #6 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

I really like the specs of the PSA. I've seen recommendations for Epik subs. Are they worth the money or all hype?
post #7 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

post #8 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, had a computer meltdown.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Steve, just so you know I am not pimping PSA tongue.gif , The op inquired about 15" subs specifically in the 5-800.00 range or else I would of listed other options. smile.gif

What other recommendations would u give personally if not limited by those factors?
post #10 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 AM

Liked: 801
If pimping is recommending a best opinion for a particular price class, then I'm a pimping the PSA, XV15. If one is going add a second or third subwoofer to their system, I would recommend going with a sealed subwoofer system that due to room gain, will dig deeper and aid in feeling the affect of the gunshot or the explosion. So with that in mind, my recommendation is to purchase a PSA, XS15 and add as you're able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberromeo View Post

What other recommendations would u give personally if not limited by those factors?

I'm also a fan of the SVS, SB12-NSD and the SVS, PC12-NSD but they don't have a 15" driver in them so I can't pimp those choices.

And there's nothing wrong with looking at a Rythmik, LV12R but again, this is a 12" driver as opposed to the requested 15" driver.

If one is serious about feeling the affect, then should start with more expensive choices then stated subwoofer budget in the form of a Rythmik, F25 or either of the kickbutt offerings from PSA in the form of their XS30, XV30 or the XV30f.

I would also recommend adding room measuring capabilities to your system so you can see the room's acoustics and dial things in accordingly and get the most out of your purchase as without room measuring capability you're guaranteed not to get the best out of your system.

If wanting more choices, I recommend checking out the Bunny Ranch and that way, one can maintain their pro-choice, pimping prerogative based standards.

-
post #11 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Ha Ha.. No I did not notice that (15”). I see things the same as you. The question has become such a no-brainer imo that it’s gotten a little embarrassing. I’ll tell you a few things in private even bolstering this. Anyway Tom and Jim knew exactly what they were doing putting the PSA kind of output products out at their perspective price points imo.

Make note to self.. Bass is not a pimp! biggrin.gif

PS to OP.. Stay away from Epik.. read their thread

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #12 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If wanting more choices, I recommend checking out the Bunny Ranch and that way, one can maintain their pro-choice, pimping prerogative based standards.

Bee what are we to do with you. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #13 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 AM

...eek.gif

Oww.

Fine, I'll move to the other concourse.

...tongue.gif
post #14 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you gents. Given me some great options to research. I'll post back with my decision in a week or so and then again with my thoughts on performance.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

...eek.gif

Oww.

Fine, I'll move to the other concourse.

...tongue.gif

I'll still follow you though. biggrin.gif Gosh I am sure you know I was just playing. I thought that quot was so funny. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #16 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 AM

Working with you. I thought it was a funny clip. Ouch! It still hurts. biggrin.gif

(note to self, do not surprise a kid who's taken self-defense classes)

Surprise! tongue.gif

-
post #17 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stay away from Epik...The PSA XV-15 is probably the top contender in its price range.
climber07 likes this.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

So I've decided to save my pennies go subless for now (terrible...I know), but make a better choice in the long run which is my overall goal anyway. So I'm deciding between the PSA XS30, XV30, and XV30f. Now, I'm partial to the 30f because of the smaller footprint and my ability to integrate another one down the road while better meeting WAF standards. My question is will my acoustics drastically change going from downfire to front fire, and given my mentioned preferences would 2 vented subs be the way to go, have one vented one sealed (best of both worlds theory), or go with 2 sealed to enjoy the physical punishment these will dish out?
post #19 of 22 Old 07-01-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

If pimping is recommending a best opinion for a particular price class, then I'm a pimping the PSA, XV15. If one is going add a second or third subwoofer to their system, I would recommend going with a sealed subwoofer system that due to room gain, will dig deeper and aid in feeling the affect of the gunshot or the explosion. So with that in mind, my recommendation is to purchase a PSA, XS15 and add as you're able.
I'm also a fan of the SVS, SB12-NSD and the SVS, PC12-NSD but they don't have a 15" driver in them so I can't pimp those choices.

And there's nothing wrong with looking at a Rythmik, LV12R but again, this is a 12" driver as opposed to the requested 15" driver.

If one is serious about feeling the affect, then should start with more expensive choices then stated subwoofer budget in the form of a Rythmik, F25 or either of the kickbutt offerings from PSA in the form of their XS30, XV30 or the XV30f.

I would also recommend adding room measuring capabilities to your system so you can see the room's acoustics and dial things in accordingly and get the most out of your purchase as without room measuring capability you're guaranteed not to get the best out of your system.

-

This concept is fairly new to me. What type of gear would your recommend for this and approximately how much does it usually run. My pioneer sc67 has room calibrating software minus sub eq. Is that sufficient?
post #20 of 22 Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 202

Start here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs/270#post_22823228

The software is free, and the mic is reasonably inexpensive. And it will introduce you to a whole new aspect of this hobby.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #21 of 22 Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

Future plans include the purchase of a quality set of floor speakers ($3000-4500/pair), upgrading center channel,...

Do these together. You really want your front stage to "match."

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #22 of 22 Old 07-01-2013, 11:50 AM

Just saying, with a quality subwoofer system, one doesn't need quality floor standing speakers as book shelf speakers with a matching center channel will do one perfectly fine these days. Save the money on the floor standing speakers and use the money to a better subwoofer system.

Currently we have a RC-64 II center channel and we're using older, Klipsch, Epic, CF-3 floor standing mains. If I were to do it today, I'd purchase three Klipsch, RC64 II's for the front three and a set of three subwoofers with the rest of the budget.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page