subwoofer in a cabinet with HT electronics above, will it damage? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning on building a cabinet/equipment rack. I was planning on the cabinet to be be built so its a clean and flush install with the current wall. I was thinking of having the electronics on the upper half, and have a sub woofer sitting below inside the cabinet. The bottom of the cabinet will be cut open and have a speaker mesh in front of the sub, but i was wondering if the subs sound will damage the amps, receivers, htpc, or ps3 that is sitting on the shelves/racks above the sub?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 32
How loud do you plan on playing stuff (ie movies, music)? In other words, if you were to measure the sound output in the room that this system is going to be in, what is ambient sound level (quiet noise, nothing turned on in the room), then what is the sound level with stuff at a reasonable level. Now with those two out of the way, if you plan on playing stuff as if Motorhead was in the room with their gear cranked up all the way, yes the vibration from that sub could cause equipment to vibrate too much, along with if you do not have any kind of venting out the back to help disperse heat buildup from the equipment and sub, you can shorten the life of everything.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

the cabinet will be vented at the top, but the sub will be a 18" sub for a theater room, so it will be putting out some extended LFE. i'm trying to keep the sub out of sight. maybe if i seperate the 2 a little with a wall between the top and bottom I wonder if that will help.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post

I am planning on building a cabinet/equipment rack. I was planning on the cabinet to be be built so its a clean and flush install with the current wall. I was thinking of having the electronics on the upper half, and have a sub woofer sitting below inside the cabinet. The bottom of the cabinet will be cut open and have a speaker mesh in front of the sub, but i was wondering if the subs sound will damage the amps, receivers, htpc, or ps3 that is sitting on the shelves/racks above the sub?

It all depends on how loud you play your system, the bass extension of the subwoofer, the structure supporting the sub and the electronics, etc. In general modern electronics resists vibration, but precision mechanical components such as Blu Ray players can mistrack if there is a lot of vibration.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page