Subwoofer Distance Setting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hi all, I'm using my psb s300 sub as bedside table. It is just a foot away from the MLP. FL/FR/C are at 9.9 feet. SR at 4.5 feet and SL at 5.1 from MLP.

I have always been setting the sub distance longer than that of the mains to bring it in phase with them. But at that time the sub was physically 12 feet away from MLP. I just recently moved it right next to MLP coz the response is more amazing than ever with no localization despite the fact that it's just a foot away from me.

While setting the distance for sub in AVR, it is in perfect phase with mains at 5.3 feet. But, at the same time it is in perfect phase with mains at 16.3 feet also.
Which distance should I use?

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
i would change the distance setting and measure to see which one is giving you the best response and go from there.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If I keep smaller distance setting i.e. 5.3 feet for the sub and 9.9 feet for the mains, which will play first? Sub or the mains?

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #4 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

If I keep smaller distance setting i.e. 5.3 feet for the sub and 9.9 feet for the mains, which will play first? Sub or the mains?
The sub will be delayed in relation to the mains which is what you want since the sub is physically closer than the mains. If 5.3 feet provides the smoothest FR at the LP, I would use 5.3 feet.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #5 of 11 Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

5.3 feet for the sub sounds better. I got a lil confused coz I always had to delay the mains by adding extra distance on the sub as it was physically 12 feet away from me. But since it's right next to the MLP, I should delay the sub in relation to mains.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am wondering how you decuced that those were the best distance settings. Did you measure with a test tone? Did you use a frequency sweep?
post #7 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry L View Post

I am wondering how you decuced that those were the best distance settings. Did you measure with a test tone? Did you use a frequency sweep?

Put the avr in 2.1 stereo mode, run an 80Hz test tone or any test tone that corresponds to the crossover frequency you set on the AVR, put the spl meter at the MLP, and change the distance of subwoofer in AVR. When the sub and the mains are in perfect phase, you get the max SPL. When they are completely out of phase, you get the lowest SPL.

Set the sub distance in AVR that offers highest SPL.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #8 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

Put the avr in 2.1 stereo mode, run an 80Hz test tone or any test tone that corresponds to the crossover frequency you set on the AVR, put the spl meter at the MLP, and change the distance of subwoofer in AVR. When the sub and the mains are in perfect phase, you get the max SPL. When they are completely out of phase, you get the lowest SPL.

Set the sub distance in AVR that offers highest SPL.
If you want to check the blend with the CC, put the receiver in PLIIX Movie mode. Movie mode sends all "identical" information from the L/R speakers to the CC. Since the whole signal is identical, everything goes to the CC and you can check the subwoofer blend with that very important speaker also.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #9 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks craig, I will try that. But doesn't CC share bass frequencies with the mains? I mean that's the reason why we bring the sub in phase with mains only coz the processor routes low frequencies of CC to the mains. I read it somewhere a long while ago, can't remember now.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #10 of 11 Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Thanks craig, I will try that. But doesn't CC share bass frequencies with the mains? I mean that's the reason why we bring the sub in phase with mains only coz the processor routes low frequencies of CC to the mains. I read it somewhere a long while ago, can't remember now.
It doesn't. Bass from the center channel is re-routed to the sub if XO is set properly. The best is to bring the sub in phase with all speakers if possible.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It doesn't. Bass from the center channel is re-routed to the sub if XO is set properly. The best is to bring the sub in phase with all speakers if possible.

That's only worth a try if one has engaged All Channel Stereo mode. If we bring all the speakers in phase and invoke DTS/DD for movies, sound stage shifts to surrounds. I tried this a long time ago and that's the thing I noticed. IMO, surrounds should be a bit misaligned wrt to sub or, in other words, out of phase wrt sub in order to get best cohesion between the front three speakers and surrounds for DTS/DD decoding.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page