post #61 of 68 Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

You are splitting hairs because you simply do not like PSA...thats great. In the end half of what you rattled off above is a minimal difference at best. I am looking at what is overall most important...I have listened to many subs over the course of 20yrs. I can tell you the XV15 is a much better sub than you give it credit for. I never said it was as good as the pb12+, but its performance is comparable. I can tell you for a fact I run my 15's hard for hours and notice no audible difference. You can push a pencil, compare other performance metric graphs all day and sport your pocket protector proudly. In the end it comes down to the end users budget and a new pb12+ does not fit. Hince why I said the xv15 would offer comparable performance, fit his budget, and have a full 5yr warranty with outstanding customer service.

The OP asked about the PB12 Plus, so it looks to me like he is open to it as an option. As for performance, you are comparing these subs in peak output alone and calling that 'performance'. That would be like comparing a couple of cars by their top speed alone, but that barely begins to tell the whole story of their respective performance. I think the XV15 is a pretty good consumer sub for the money, but it isn't the marvel of subwoofer engineering that you want it out to be. It is not using a great driver, it is pretty feature barren, and it isn't going to win any beauty pageants. On the other hand, PSA has shown very good customer service and a 5 year warranty is excellent as well, but SVS shares these qualities as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The OP asked about the PB12 Plus, so it looks to me like he is open to it as an option. As for performance, you are comparing these subs in peak output alone and calling that 'performance'. That would be like comparing a couple of cars by their top speed alone, but that barely begins to tell the whole story of their respective performance. I think the XV15 is a pretty good consumer sub for the money, but it isn't the marvel of subwoofer engineering that you want it out to be. It is not using a great driver, it is pretty feature barren, and it isn't going to win any beauty pageants. On the other hand, PSA has shown very good customer service and a 5 year warranty is excellent as well, but SVS shares these qualities as well.

he inquired about a used pb12+ since his budget was 1k, which i gave my opinion stating i would not spend 900.00 on a used plus or any sub that is around1k unless it was smoking deal...which a v1 for 1k is not a smoking deal. You simply love to twist my posts up to create a argument. a prime example is comparing a paradigm servo15 v2 in regards to my initial post about the xv15, vtf15, and pb12+ having comparable performance with the servo 15....when the op was in fact talking about the v1 which started this whole debate to begin with. I never said the xv15 is a marvel of a subwoofer, however it is a great performing sub for the cash and offers comparable performance to subs that cost more at the cost of a nicer finish and some feature controls. Now if you want to further discuss this pm me or move on. I am tired of getting into debates over petty ******** with you.
post #63 of 68 Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't see how comparing a used PB12+ to a new XV15 makes much sense. Sure, the PB12+ may have a slight edge with distortion numbers and low end output, but it's still a used subwoofer. There is no way to know just how hard it has been driven, and could be months away from complete failure. If it isn't months away from failure, can we really trust that the driver will still have the same quality of a new driver? No warranty with a used PB12+?

Comparing a new PB12+ to a new XV15 also makes little sense, as the PB12+ costs a good bit more. If you're willing to spend $600 more for the PB12+ then you would expect the sound quality to be a good improvement over the XV15. I wouldn't say it is, but rather a slight-to-noticeable improvment in SQ, and a pretty finish.

post #64 of 68 Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
In my opinion, comparing two XS15's to one PB12-Plus would make more fiscal and logical sense.

2ea, XS15's...... = $1,423.00.

1ea, PB12-Plus = $1,399.00.

The beauty of two XS15's, you can stack them (conjoined) or you can dice them and set them in separate locations about a room. Can't do that with a single PB12-Plus.

At this price, why not compare a XV30 or a XV30f with the PB12-Plus? All three are $1,399.00. Now we're comparing chocolate, glazed or plain doughnuts from the same shelf. Doughnuts are good. With a cup of black coffee, yum!

-
post #65 of 68 Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

I don't see how comparing a used PB12+ to a new XV15 makes much sense. Sure, the PB12+ may have a slight edge with distortion numbers and low end output, but it's still a used subwoofer. There is no way to know just how hard it has been driven, and could be months away from complete failure. If it isn't months away from failure, can we really trust that the driver will still have the same quality of a new driver? No warranty with a used PB12+?

Comparing a new PB12+ to a new XV15 also makes little sense, as the PB12+ costs a good bit more. If you're willing to spend $600 more for the PB12+ then you would expect the sound quality to be a good improvement over the XV15. I wouldn't say it is, but rather a slight-to-noticeable improvment in SQ, and a pretty finish.

I agree...I was not trying to say that the xv15 is the same caliber sub as the pb12+ new for new...I was implying that its output would be comparable and would be a better buy than a used pb12+. Reading back thru there was one post I made that could of been taken wrong, but if one read thru the entire thread, one could easily see the connection I was trying to make. I agree with that the pb12+ has a nicer driver, looks better, and is more feature rich. However my point was you could get a NEW sub that will have comparable output performance as the pb12+ that will fall in his budget range...but yes you would be sacrficing some features such as variable tuning, q control, asthetics...etc

However when one has a budget in mind sacrifices have to be made and imo output is the last thing I would want to give up. I can deal with the xv15 looks and basic amp features, but it has the performance I was looking for at the price I was willing to pay with a full 5yr warranty. wheather or not the op can deal with those limitations is up to him...it was just a suggestion.

At times I feel shady looks for ways to make me look like i am uneducated and making blind assumptions. however if you read thru the first page you will see my first recomendation was dual LV12R's based on the limited information and budget the op provided...which is not any sub I own. Then the op updated info stating he wanted one sub only...naturally shady jumps into the thread pimping HSU like he does in 99% percent of threads. A few post later the op listed 3 other options that were used. I stated my opinion about how I would not spend 1k on any of those subs used when there are some really great options that are brand new, come with a full warranty, and will have comparable performance with the used subs the op mentioned. Then shady starts in on me about how the servo15 v2 is so much better, which I agree but the op was talking about a v1...big difference. So then on time as always shady starts looking for other ways to pick my posts apart to supprt his silly argument that completely derailed the thread. BRAVO Shady, you my boy blue.
steve nn and oneeyeblind like this.
post #66 of 68 Old 07-01-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Lol, relax basshead, don't take anything personally. I would have made the same arguments regardless of who had written your posts, I am not targeting you specifically or anything. When the OP mentioned the Paradigm and PB12 Plus subs, he wasn't specific about which version it was or used or how old they were. I assumed they were the latest models since the OP wasn't initially specific. For the record I agree with you, $1k for an old Servo 15 or Bash amp PB12 Plus is asking too much. They still would be good performers though, but six or seven hundred dollars would be a more reasonable price for them. I wasn't trying to derail the thread, I was debating the merits of the subs which I thought the OP was asking about. At the end of the day we are just talking about big black boxes that go boom, and we both probably take them too seriously, lol.
post #67 of 68 Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Hey guys thanks much for all the advice , i think PSA XV15 will be my choice,but i have run into a financial roadblock. so now my system sits unfinished. will update soon

post #68 of 68 Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
^^
Great choice for the money. Enjoy.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Pb1000 by PriceGrabber.com