Klipsh Sub 12 Died - Fix or Replace - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

My Klipsch Sub-12 which I've had for about 6 years died. I realized it is the amp that is blown, which can be a problem with this amp. Klipsch states that I can replace the amp for about $200 with shipping, handling and tax. On the other hand, I have heard great news about the Cadence CSX Mark II. I also realized that it is on sale for $280 with shipping and tax. Meaning for $80 more I could get a new sub (better?). I should mention I am interested in any other subwoofers, for less than $500 with shipping and Tax.

My setup includes Klipsch (2) F-3 Towers, a C3 center, and (2) S3 surrounds. These speakers are all hooked up to my Pioneer Elite VSX-50 receiver and the primary source is my PS3 for Blu-rays and UV movies. My room has normal 10 foot ceilings The room is 14 feet long (11 feet to the listening area) and 15 feet wide. I should mention the right hand side of the room opens to another room which is another 10 feet wide (or total width of 25').

As far as listening preferences I listen to mostly movies (high action and suspense). I will rarely listen to music, but my wife does listen to it occasionally (5-10%). Her music tastes would include country and music like Mumford and Sons, as well as some Jazz.

I hope this is enough information to help me make a wise decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I should have stated I am using the Pioneer Elite VSX-50 powering the system.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
post #4 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

smile.gif
post #5 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

smile.gif
post #6 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This sub usually goes on sale for under $300

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

Yeah I've seen that, I'm not sure it's much better than my sub-12: http://www.klipsch.com/sub-12-subwoofer. Thoughts?

I've still heard a great deal on this site about the cadence csx12 II, but have never heard it in person or any of the online sub manufacturers.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any ideas of a sub for that size room for under $500. I was thinking the Cadence, the Klipsch mentioned, the Definitive Prosub 1000, SVS PB 1000 or just fixing my old amp. Any suggestions? I'm a rookie compared to you guys, so I trust your opinions.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had a Klipsch sub-12 as well, which I replaced with the HSU Research VTF1
The difference was night and day. The HSU has much tighter bass, and can go deeper than the Klipsch as well.
Its great for both music and movies. And I think its on sale right now.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Toid View Post

Hey Guys,

My Klipsch Sub-12 which I've had for about 6 years died. I realized it is the amp that is blown, which can be a problem with this amp. Klipsch states that I can replace the amp for about $200 with shipping, handling and tax. On the other hand, I have heard great news about the Cadence CSX Mark II. I also realized that it is on sale for $280 with shipping and tax. Meaning for $80 more I could get a new sub (better?). I should mention I am interested in any other subwoofers, for less than $500 with shipping and Tax.

My setup includes Klipsch (2) F-3 Towers, a C3 center, and (2) S3 surrounds. These speakers are all hooked up to my Pioneer Elite VSX-50 receiver and the primary source is my PS3 for Blu-rays and UV movies. My room has normal 10 foot ceilings The room is 14 feet long (11 feet to the listening area) and 15 feet wide. I should mention the right hand side of the room opens to another room which is another 10 feet wide (or total width of 25').

As far as listening preferences I listen to mostly movies (high action and suspense). I will rarely listen to music, but my wife does listen to it occasionally (5-10%). Her music tastes would include country and music like Mumford and Sons, as well as some Jazz.

I hope this is enough information to help me make a wise decision.

You say that the amp is blown, but you offer nothing that I can interpret to be reliable evidence to support that belief.

There are only two field replaceable units in a typical subwoofer that are likely to fail being the plate amplifier and the subwoofer driver itself. I would make a technical examination of both units to make sure that both units were in good enough shape to have a foreseeable long life. The subwoofer driver in my Paradigm 12" subwoofer just failed due to a cracked surround which is a common failure. If I was going to invest any money at all in repairing this unit I would like some assurance that the woofer was not on the verge of failure.

It would probably be worth it to me to spend the extra $80 and get a whole new unit.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akka83 View Post

I had a Klipsch sub-12 as well, which I replaced with the HSU Research VTF1
The difference was night and day. The HSU has much tighter bass, and can go deeper than the Klipsch as well.
Its great for both music and movies. And I think its on sale right now.

That is good to know. I was wondering about that sub. I liked the idea of a HSU but was not sure I would like "downgrading" from a 12" to a 10". It's good to know, that the 10" would actually be an upgrade!
post #11 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

You say that the amp is blown, but you offer nothing that I can interpret to be reliable evidence to support that belief.

There are only two field replaceable units in a typical subwoofer that are likely to fail being the plate amplifier and the subwoofer driver itself. I would make a technical examination of both units to make sure that both units were in good enough shape to have a foreseeable long life. The subwoofer driver in my Paradigm 12" subwoofer just failed due to a cracked surround which is a common failure. If I was going to invest any money at all in repairing this unit I would like some assurance that the woofer was not on the verge of failure.

It would probably be worth it to me to spend the extra $80 and get a whole new unit.

Thanks for the reply. I should mention that every time I put a new slow blow fuse in the woofer, it would immediately blow. I took out the amp and tested it. It seemed to have short (at least) on the right hand side of the amp. As you can see the part on the left has been burnt. It might be fixable, but I do not have the schematic.

P.S. I was thinking the same thing. For $80 more I could get a whole new unit, why not? Of course if the HSU is a lot better, I would be willing to spend the money. I'm just glad a few people have had them that can honestly recommend spending the money on them.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I should mention that every time I put a new slow blow fuse in the woofer, it would immediately blow.

Yup, that sort of information turns a mystery into a slam dunk.
Quote:
P.S. I was thinking the same thing. For $80 more I could get a whole new unit, why not? Of course if the HSU is a lot better, I would be willing to spend the money. I'm just glad a few people have had them that can honestly recommend spending the money on them.

Even at $300 the Klipsch may not be the best value.

According to some sources the Bic Acoustech F12 and PL 200 provide equal or better performance in the same price range. Certainly what appears to be a premature failure of the Klipsch is not a major encouragement to repeat the opportunity to have a similar failure.

I am a little wary of replacing a 12" sub with a 10" sub despite my ownership of and pleasure with a 12" Hsu sub.

BTW I am in the process of building 2 15" Integrity subs, just so you know where I am coming from.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:

That is good to know. I was wondering about that sub. I liked the idea of a HSU but was not sure I would like "downgrading" from a 12" to a 10". It's good to know, that the 10" would actually be an upgrade!

Yeah, I had similar concerns, but they vanished the moment I plugged it in! If you can afford, def go for the 12". But for its size and price, I'm more than happy with the VTF1. I live close to the HSU factory in Anaheim, and I actually went to demo all of the subs myself. The VTF2 did sound better, but it was much larger as well, and I really wanted to stick to my budget.
No regrets though smile.gif And the 10" sounds great for music too. I use it to supplement my Bookshelves for the low end. Very clean and tight.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yup, that sort of information turns a mystery into a slam dunk.
Even at $300 the Klipsch may not be the best value.

According to some sources the Bic Acoustech F12 and PL 200 provide equal or better performance in the same price range. Certainly what appears to be a premature failure of the Klipsch is not a major encouragement to repeat the opportunity to have a similar failure.

I'm not really familiar with the BIC subwoofers. Would those be a good mix for my F3 speakers or would I be better off going with something like the Cadence or HSU?
post #15 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It is well known on this forum that the Klipsch RW12d is perhaps the best value for around $300. it has good output, sounds pretty good with music and has good output down to below 25hz. That said, better subs can be had in the $500 to $600 range from SVS, HSU, Rythmik and Outlaw.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I really wanted to thank you all for responding! I was wavering between buying the SVS PB1000 or the HSU last night. I decided to hold off, until I could call Cadence. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the extra $220. They were very nice and informative. Come to find out that they sell right out of NJ or about 4 hours from where I live! Helping out a company that was so close played on me a little. Best part though, was they gave me a forum discount. Since I had been reading audioholics reviews - They gave it to me for $250 shipped! I am still not sure of the sound. I know that I will not get the low end extension the PB1000 has or the flat response curve, but I thought for $250, I'd give it a shot. I'll review after I've had it for a while (non-scientific review).

Once again, Thank you everyone!
post #17 of 21 Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Hey guys,

I really wanted to thank you all for responding! I was wavering between buying the SVS PB1000 or the HSU last night. I decided to hold off, until I could call Cadence. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the extra $220. They were very nice and informative. Come to find out that they sell right out of NJ or about 4 hours from where I live! Helping out a company that was so close played on me a little. Best part though, was they gave me a forum discount. Since I had been reading audioholics reviews - They gave it to me for $250 shipped! I am still not sure of the sound. I know that I will not get the low end extension the PB1000 has or the flat response curve, but I thought for $250, I'd give it a shot. I'll review after I've had it for a while (non-scientific review).

Once again, Thank you everyone!

Congratulations on your purchase! Let us know how it sounds once you set it up. I've heard some good things about their subs smile.gif
post #18 of 21 Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Congratulations on your purchase! Let us know how it sounds once you set it up. I've heard some good things about their subs smile.gif

Will Do! It shipped out today, the ETA is the 8th. Weird that it shipped from CA when the company is based in NJ. Either way, I'll break it in a few days then post a review for you guys.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

I got my Cadence CSX 12 Mark II in the mail a few days ago. I am loving it! I will post a review as well as an unboxing video soon. Just a quick note, so far, I am absolutely surprised by this. It is much better than the Klipsch sub 12 it replaced!
post #20 of 21 Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I got my Cadence CSX 12 Mark II in the mail a few days ago. I am loving it! I will post a review as well as an unboxing video soon. Just a quick note, so far, I am absolutely surprised by this. It is much better than the Klipsch sub 12 it replaced!

Glad you are happy with it and with a $250 price point, you got a great deal
post #21 of 21 Old 07-17-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm still working on a review, but for now, I at least have a video unboxing (HD). Here is the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0PmBL8jA_Y

Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Csx 12 Mark Ii Active Powered 450 Watt Subwoofer , Klipsch Sub 12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page