Is this noise normal from a subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a HSU ULS-15, it only makes this noise on certain movies, I can't explain what it sounds like so I made a short video instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1NJa21IFLE

Is this a normal noise? I used to have a Paradigm PW2200 and I never heard it make this sound before.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 06-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Are you referring to the rumbling sound or the sound that sounds like metal scraping against something?

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
post #3 of 67 Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

Are you referring to the rumbling sound or the sound that sounds like metal scraping against something?

I guess it would be that metal sound, kind of like a slight metallic rumble, almost like somethings loose inside the woofer.
post #4 of 67 Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz46 View Post

I have a HSU ULS-15, it only makes this noise on certain movies, I can't explain what it sounds like so I made a short video instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1NJa21IFLE

Is this a normal noise? I used to have a Paradigm PW2200 and I never heard it make this sound before.

Thanks

It sounds like your woofer may be blown. The easiest way to check, is to
1. shut of the subwoofer
2. Gently push the woofer in with even distribution and listen for a scraping noise. (Don't push on the center bubble)

If there is a scraping noise, it means your voice coil in the speaker is blown. If it is under warranty you'd need to contact HSU.

Either way, it's a simple test that can be performed in under 3 minutes. Let us know what you find.
post #5 of 67 Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I once had that sound from a pair of subs and thought it would be strange to blow two of them at the same time. It turned out to be a problem with the amp.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #6 of 67 Old 06-30-2013, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

The woofer feels fine gently pushing it in, it should do to because its a warranty replacement woofer, as my original woofer developed a loud metallic rattle after a year or so of use, a very different rattle from the noise here, but that woofer also made the same noise as this one on certain movies, which makes me think maybe it could be something with the amp?
I tried to post this question on the HSU forums too after registering there today, but I get a "you do not have permission to access this page" error when I try.
post #7 of 67 Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 261

Does this happen at low volumes? Have you tried a different source like an mp3 player? Tried a different rca cable?

To me it sounds like when you touch the tip of an rca cable and makes this weird popping noise. Maybe the rca jack is loose?

post #8 of 67 Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I think you need to talk to the people at HSU. They should be familiar with this type of problem and help you short out the problem.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #9 of 67 Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

It does happen at lower volumes to a certain extent, I don't have another source to try, but I tried two different rca cables with no effect, but when I use the wireless connection it doesn't make this noise unless I turn the sub up a bit, the woofer also doesn't seem to move as much via the wireless connection even though the volume is set about the same.
I just sent an e-mail to HSU, so I will see what they have to say about it.

Thanks
post #10 of 67 Old 07-02-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1590
Updates? Where is Shady at, he should know? wink.gif
post #11 of 67 Old 07-02-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 590
It didn't look like it oscillating enough to bottom out. It might be amp clipping. Or maybe something came lose. The guys at Hsu will take care of you, so no biggie.
post #12 of 67 Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

This was their reply

"Seeing how much the cone is moving, I would say it's being over driven. What is the volume setting, and the ULF Trim setting? If you want such high levels, you want to get another ULS. That gives you 6 dB more headroom"

And I sent this reply about two days ago.

"The volume was set at the second line, about a quarter turn, the ULF is set at 50hz and the crossover is set to in at 80hz, the sub volume on the oppo is at 0, and the sub volume matches the rest of the speakers, about 78db when using the oppo test tone, and a mono to stereo rca cable was being used.
The sub out of the oppo goes to a Perreaux SXP2 passive preamp and the line level out of the Perreaux goes to the ULS.

The strange thing is if I use a mono to mono rca cable and set the volume on the ULS to the third line from minimum and the sub volume on the oppo at 0, which reads about 78db on the oppo test tone, the ULS starts making that noise when the oppo's system wide volume control reaches 80, but when I use a mono to mono rca cable into the wireless transmitter and set the ULS volume at the 4th line from minimum (12 oclock) and keep the oppo sub volume at 0, which still reads about 78db on the oppo test tone, the ULS doesn't start making that noise until the oppo's system wide volume control reaches 98."

I still haven't heard back from them yet.
post #13 of 67 Old 07-03-2013, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

What do you have the ULF Trim set to?
post #14 of 67 Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

What do you have the ULF Trim set to?

It's set at 50hz, I wouldn't of thought it would be over driven at those settings, all my speakers are set to large so it's not getting any extra bass information, just the LFE signal coming out of the Oppo.
I still haven't heard back from HSU, so maybe buying another one was their answer.

Cheers
post #15 of 67 Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I am suprised that was hsu's response. if that was indeed thier answer i would jump ship to a new sub company...no way is that sub being over driven imo.
post #16 of 67 Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

if that was there answer i would jump ship to a new sub company...no way is that sub being over driven.

That's what I thought, I'm using three Perreaux SXP2 passive preamps for my mains, rears, centre & sub (this is a music first system) all are set to the same volume level, all my speakers are set to large, the sub volume is matched with the rest of the speakers at about 78db using the Oppo's test tones, which at 78db is 100 on the Oppo's volume control, and that's the volume I listen to movies at, if the ULS-15 can't handle movies at that level then I obviously brought the wrong sub.
I don't know what to do now, out of curiosity I'm looking at other subs, but what would I do with the ULS? I can't sell it like it is, I live in NZ so shipping a sub from the US is expensive, even more so now that our import laws have changed, so that would leave me with buying locally, not that I really want to after spending nearly $500 NZ dollars on shipping the replacement woofer over just a few weeks ago.
post #17 of 67 Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear...again it really suprises me thats the response you got.
post #18 of 67 Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
This is definitely not a good thing.. so sorry to hear what you're going through.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #19 of 67 Old 07-04-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The woofer could be bottoming out, but it would soft bottom since it is an underhung design, so there wouldn't be any hard clanking. It looks like it is getting too much of an EQ boost at the low end. Whether from the unit itself or from an outside source, I don't know. It shouldn't act that way with the ULF Trim set to 50 Hz. I would put a high pass filter on the line going to the sub, and set it at maybe 20 Hz, that should fix things.
post #20 of 67 Old 07-05-2013, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I don't know where it would be getting any sort of EQ boost from because I don't have an AV receiver, the Oppo's sub out basically goes directly into the ULS-15.
I not sure what I'll do yet, I don't really want to throw anymore money at it not knowing what the problem is, it already owes me about $2200 US dollars, maybe I'll just keep using the wireless transmitter, the problem isn't too bad using the wireless transmitter, and if the woofer eventually packs up again somewhere down the line maybe I'll just buy another sub.
The strange thing is if I go back to using an rca connection now the problem is worse than in the video I posted, and the cheapest sub I found locally is a Jamo D6 at about $1000 US dollars, but it's in another city so I can't listen to it.

Thanks
post #21 of 67 Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz46 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

if that was there answer i would jump ship to a new sub company...no way is that sub being over driven.

That's what I thought, I'm using three Perreaux SXP2 passive preamps for my mains, rears, centre & sub (this is a music first system) all are set to the same volume level, all my speakers are set to large, the sub volume is matched with the rest of the speakers at about 78db using the Oppo's test tones, which at 78db is 100 on the Oppo's volume control, and that's the volume I listen to movies at, if the ULS-15 can't handle movies at that level then I obviously brought the wrong sub.
I don't know what to do now, out of curiosity I'm looking at other subs, but what would I do with the ULS? I can't sell it like it is, I live in NZ so shipping a sub from the US is expensive, even more so now that our import laws have changed, so that would leave me with buying locally, not that I really want to after spending nearly $500 NZ dollars on shipping the replacement woofer over just a few weeks ago.

Seems to me that you are playing your system above calibrated "reference playback level". Calibrated "reference playback level" should be 75 dB, and you are calibrating to 78 dB, so 100 on the Oppo volume control means 3 dB above reference level if I have your settings correct.

Most single subwoofers are not capable of full "reference playback level". You probably need to use multiple subwoofers to playback at the volume level that you desire to use.
post #22 of 67 Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I haven't noticed you stating what size room you're in and if they're any openings. Any chance of doing this for us?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #23 of 67 Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Seems to me that you are playing your system above calibrated "reference playback level". Calibrated "reference playback level" should be 75 dB, and you are calibrating to 78 dB, so 100 on the Oppo volume control means 3 dB above reference level if I have your settings correct.

Most single subwoofers are not capable of full "reference playback level". You probably need to use multiple subwoofers to playback at the volume level that you desire to use.

I thought reference level was 85db? anyway HSU replied, they apologized for taking so long, they thought the input on the ULS might be overloading so they advised me to lower the sub level on the Oppo and turn the ULS up, which I did, I lowered the Oppo sub level to -5 then to -10 and turned up the ULS to compensate but the problem still remained, I even set the ULS volume at 70db but it still made the noise.
So I went back to the wireless connection and set the ULS volume at about 78db, played the same scene again and the noise was gone, strange, the woofer seems to oscillate less on the wireless connection despite the volume being the same, I replied to HSU with this information, so I await their reply.

The room has no openings, it's a big rectangle, and is about 3.3 meters wide by 5.6 meters long, and the ceiling is about 2.2 meters high, the ULS is sitting about a third of the way along the long wall.

Thanks.
post #24 of 67 Old 07-06-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well their response was "Looked like your Oppo is sending the ULS huge amounts of ultra low bass. The ULS will try to reproduce down to 5 Hz. The wireless does roll off more below 15 Hz"
I guess the wireless transmitter is acting like a high pass filter, like shadyJ mentioned, so I'll just keep using it with the wireless transmitter as I can't find any high pass filter locally, or I could try one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Harrison-Labs-FMOD-20Hz-Hi-Pass-Subsonic-Filter-Rumble-Reducer-USA-/370638571226?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item564bc7c6da

Which will only cost me about $30 landed, the only thing I find strange is why would the Oppo be doing that? unless that's what happens when you take the AV receiver out of the loop?
post #25 of 67 Old 07-06-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

You shouldn't need a highpass for a properly built sealed sub. There is a way to see how flat the freq response is for the sub out on the OPPO. All you need is a computer with a line input. Connect the OPPOs SUB output to the computers line input and run a sweep from 250hz to 1hz. I don't think the OPPO would be boosting any low frequencies, doesn't make sense.

Also, what movie scenes are you playing that are causing these sounds? Do you have a spl meter?

post #26 of 67 Old 07-06-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

You shouldn't need a highpass for a properly built sealed sub. There is a way to see how flat the freq response is for the sub out on the OPPO. All you need is a computer with a line input. Connect the OPPOs SUB output to the computers line input and run a sweep from 250hz to 1hz. I don't think the OPPO would be boosting any low frequencies, doesn't make sense.

Also, what movie scenes are you playing that are causing these sounds? Do you have a spl meter?

Any idea where I can find sweep tones? every one I've tried must be stereo only, so nothing comes through the Oppo's LFE channel.

The movie is X-men first class, and it's the beach scene near the end of the movie, I do have a spl meter.

Cheers
post #27 of 67 Old 07-06-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/t/742969/diy-audio-test-dvd

Have you tried connecting the sub directly to the OPPO? I think you said you had a preamp before the sub. If you do try this, make sure the gain on the sub is at its lowest settings then bump it up a tiny bit till you get an acceptable volume.

post #28 of 67 Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/742969/diy-audio-test-dvd

Have you tried connecting the sub directly to the OPPO? I think you said you had a preamp before the sub. If you do try this, make sure the gain on the sub is at its lowest settings then bump it up a tiny bit till you get an acceptable volume.

Ok, I ran the LFE test sweep 120-1hz and this was the result

Connecting the sub directly to the Oppo doesn't make any difference.

Thanks
post #29 of 67 Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you export that as a .wav and upload it somewhere so I can have a look at it? For comparison, here is my computers lfe output doing the 120-1hz sweep. Notice how flat it is at the start and tapers off. Your capture looks weird at the start, dips real low.

post #30 of 67 Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can you export that as a .wav and upload it somewhere so I can have a look at it? For comparison, here is my computers lfe output doing the 120-1hz sweep. Notice how flat it is at the start and tapers off. Your capture looks weird at the start, dips real low.

Ok, try here

http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/66305341/file.html

Cheers
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page