Keep Single Epik Dynasty or Get 2 Smaller Subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved into a new house, in which I unfortunately can't have a dedicated theater room. Instead I'm mating the main room the tv/movie watching room. It's a huge open room with vaulted ceilings that has an open kitchen, dining room, and breakfast nook. A FAR from ideal theater room, but it'll have to do. I currently have an Epik Dynasty 18" subwoofer LINK HERE which I had in my theater room at my old house. It had a nice flat response and plenty of headroom. The problem is now I cannot find a place for this sub where I don't get a huge null right in the listening position, which HAS to be the center of the room. I'm tired of moving this 100+ LB beast around trying to find an ideal spot for it. I've tried side, front, rear, and everything in between, but I just can't find a sweet spot.

So I've come up with a couple options and need some help!

1. Get a sub EQ(not sure which one, but I can research it) and dial in the sub properly

2. Sell the Dynasty and get 2 smaller subs. Basically have a budget of $200+- per sub if I get 2

The one's I've heard and liked were:

- Polk PSW505
- JBL ES250PBK

I've had good luck with dual subs taking care of bass nulls in the past, so I was wondering if the 2 smaller subs would equal the Dynasty AND take care of the nulls.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 12
Neither of those subs or anything around that price point is going to equal, or IMO, even come close to the Dynasty. They may help with the nulls, but will not have the spl, nor the low end response the Dynasty has. I would stick with the Dynasty, download REW, and continue trying to find the sweet spot. With REW you will actually be able to see what is going on and adjust (apply EQ or move the sub around) from there. It may take a little of your time and effort, moving the sub and running sweeps, but the end outcome will be better with the bigger sub.

You could also try picking up one of the smaller subs to pair with the Dynasty. I had to do that with my basement family room. I have an eD a5-350 paired up with a PA120. I have my eD up front next to my entertainment center and the PA120 in the back opposite corner. It is running at a much lower volume than my main sub, but it really helped pull up my response with a null in one of my seating positions. It did take a day or two of playing around and moving things. I basically found the best spot for my main sub with REW and then added the secondary sub and moved it around to find the best spot to help even out my response.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I'd get some sort of measurement tool(s) (e.g., a mic + REW, or an Omnimic) and EQ (e.g., MiniDSP) and work with the Dynasty. Specs say it's a beast, and you seem pretty happy with it.

And when the time comes to replace the Dynasty, you'll have the measurement tools and EQ ready to go. smile.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Keep that Dynasty dude!!
Those other two subs are fart boxes compared to that Epik!!
its phillip likes this.

Shhhhhhhhh
post #5 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
keep the dynasty and pick up the jbl es250 to help with the null...place it nearfield where you can keep it turned down. Rew is a good tool to have, but you can not eq nulls, so a mini dsp wont help till you get the sub placement correct.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dodge View Post

I just moved into a new house, in which I unfortunately can't have a dedicated theater room. Instead I'm mating the main room the tv/movie watching room. It's a huge open room with vaulted ceilings that has an open kitchen, dining room, and breakfast nook. A FAR from ideal theater room, but it'll have to do. I currently have an Epik Dynasty 18" subwoofer LINK HERE which I had in my theater room at my old house. It had a nice flat response and plenty of headroom. The problem is now I cannot find a place for this sub where I don't get a huge null right in the listening position, which HAS to be the center of the room. I'm tired of moving this 100+ LB beast around trying to find an ideal spot for it. I've tried side, front, rear, and everything in between, but I just can't find a sweet spot.
There is no sub or EQ in the whole world that can overcome a huge, room induced null at the LP. If the LP is in the exact middle of the room, the LP is the problem, NOT the subwoofer. And the only correction for the problem is to move the LP. Even a foot or two or three forward or back can help. If you can't do that, then get yourself some tactile transducers. At least then you'll be able to "feel" the bass even if you can't hear it.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll try REW and playing with the positioning more. Next will be an EQ and second small sub.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page