LOOKING FOR SUB TO PAIR WITH PSB Imagine minis - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be getting a pair of PSB Imagine minis that will be wall mounted in a 17’ x 17’ room using a Harmon Karden AVR2000. Have only had 2 speaker stereo systems in the past. I have never used a sub-woofer and think this could a good addition.
I’ve heard that one sub is sufficient but have read 2 or more is better. So would 2 smaller vs. 1 larger be a better choice? If I go the 2 route can I get one now and the second later? Budget constraints.
Here are the particulars:
1. Your budget – Around $300 if necessary but less is good. (300 for 2 if can get away with it, otherwise one at a time if going that route).
2. Size requirements/limits – Smaller preferred but not required.
3. Room dimensions. 17 x 17 approximately 2500 cubic feet.
4. Primary uses – Mix of music rock to classical and movies. About 50/50
5. Listening habits – Realistically not listening at high volumes.
6. Appearance requirements – Not an issue.
7. Timeframe – Limited. Need to have in hand within the next two weeks.

What recommendations would you make. It was suggested where I got the minis to use one PSB Subseries 1 ($300)

Thanks,
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

One other note.

I live in a country where the voltage is 220. I just found out the PSB sub is only 110 so that nixes that one.

Other choices?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 AM

I'm using Outlaw M8 in a 16x10x10 room and I'm very happy with it (though many in this forum would say 8" driver is not a subwoofer biggrin.gif). I chose M8 as subwoofer size was an important aspect for me. I'm using it in India where the voltage is 220.

Note: M8 is my first subwoofer experience
post #4 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphnis View Post

I'm using Outlaw M8 in a 16x10x10 room and I'm very happy with it (though many in this forum would say 8" driver is not a subwoofer biggrin.gif). I chose M8 as subwoofer size was an important aspect for me. I'm using it in India where the voltage is 220.

Note: M8 is my first subwoofer experience

Thanks. I think that is very much what I am looking for. I have to be concerned with getting it there so physical size is an issue too.

Not looking to shake the room with bass but rather to compliment the mini bookshelf speakers.

Any other options along this line?

Justin
post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
As nice as hsu's and outlaw's are there are better value's for your dollar right now as far as 8" subs go.

A couple of Martin Logan 300's can be bought for less than the Outlaw M8 or Hsu Vtf-1: http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Dynamo-300-Theater-Subwoofer/dp/B004LRPXAU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372885692&sr=8-2&keywords=martin+logan

However there are better values than the Martin Logan above when you move into the realm of 10" and 12" subs.
It may not seem like there would be much difference between 8" subs and 10"-12" subs, but a subwoofer with double the diameter (for example) will have a lot more than double the surface area.

Edit: The Martin Logan doesn't appear to have the voltage support you need though. You might also want to look into Voltage Transformers. They don't look to expensive, and could really open up the options for you.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

As nice as hsu's and outlaw's are there are better value's for your dollar right now as far as 8" subs go.

A couple of Martin Logan 300's can be bought for less than the Outlaw M8 or Hsu Vtf-1: http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Dynamo-300-Theater-Subwoofer/dp/B004LRPXAU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372885692&sr=8-2&keywords=martin+logan

However there are better values than the Martin Logan above when you move into the realm of 10" and 12" subs.
It may not seem like there would be much difference between 8" subs and 10"-12" subs, but a subwoofer with double the diameter (for example) will have a lot more than double the surface area.

Edit: The Martin Logan doesn't appear to have the voltage support you need though. You might also want to look into Voltage Transformers. They don't look to expensive, and could really open up the options for you.

Thanks Mik,
Since time was limited for me I went ahead and ordered the Outlaw which has a voltage switch for 110 or 220 although they "don't support 220 usage." I think what they were really telling me is that they won't support anything outside the U.S. I guess I would still have the option of bringing it back here to deal with any warranty problems. It's smaller size although not weight (28 pounds) makes it easier for me to transport.
Also, for me I've made the mistake of plugging a 110 battery charger into a 220 outlet, as they will accept the 110 configuration in Thailand, and fried it.

Regards,
Justin
post #7 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinj6 View Post

Thanks Mik,
Since time was limited for me I went ahead and ordered the Outlaw which has a voltage switch for 110 or 220 although they "don't support 220 usage." I think what they were really telling me is that they won't support anything outside the U.S. I guess I would still have the option of bringing it back here to deal with any warranty problems. It's smaller size although not weight (28 pounds) makes it easier for me to transport.
Also, for me I've made the mistake of plugging a 110 battery charger into a 220 outlet, as they will accept the 110 configuration in Thailand, and fried it.

Regards,
Justin
Did you receive the M8 yet? I've got PSB Image B6 speakers (which are great but not as good as the fantastic Imagine line) And I also have the M8 and I couldn't be more satisfied with the performance and blending with my PSB B6 speakers.And I love the fact that it takes very little space. smile.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinj6 View Post

Thanks Mik,

Regards,
Justin
Did you receive the M8 yet? I've got PSB Image B6 speakers (which are great but not as good as the fantastic Imagine line) And I also have the M8 and I couldn't be more satisfied with the performance and blending with my PSB B6 speakers.And I love the fact that it takes very little space. smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page