What is the EQ dial for in a sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently purchased a budget sub (back in India). Can someone tell me what's the EQ dial for? How is it different from the Volume dial?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
It's probably lets you cut / boost the level of a given frequency / frequency range. What does the owner's manual say?
post #3 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneo View Post

I've recently purchased a budget sub (back in India). Can someone tell me what's the EQ dial for? How is it different from the Volume dial?

What do your ears tell you? This is a loudspeaker and that is a very relevant question if not the most relevant question.

Your question strikes me as being something like asking what a brake pedal does when you are a licensed driver and sitting in the driver's seat of the car that you are asking about.

Generally the volume dial is a gain control and increases and decreases the intensity of all frequencies equally.

An equalizer knob can reasonably be expected to affect some frequencies more than others.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneo View Post

Can someone tell me what's the EQ dial for?
That would be in the owner's manual. If you don't have one you should be able to download it from the manufacturer.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
I love how nobody has just come out and said...wow, that's a new one on me. tongue.gif

Well, by golly, that sure is a new one on me.

Working with everybody else.....what does the owner's manual say on the matter cause I'm clueless. biggrin.gif

Do you have room measuring capability? And if so, what happens to the room measurements when you twist the knob up and down?

...confused.gif

-
post #6 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 AM

Liked: 11
It's looks like a bass boost/cut. Looks like it's -12db to +12db adjustment at an unspecificed frequency. No way to know unless your manual tells you what frequency range that changes. But most likely around 50-60hz if I had to guess.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

So here's the thing. This is a low-budget subwoofer that I've got from one of the local manufacturers. They are good and honest but are definitely not in the league of the popular players (back here in India) like Polk/Wharfedale/SVS/Velodyne. This is a link to the product. There's no user manual with the product. I've been asking around in some other forums too and it appears that this dial would allow one to equalize the frequency response of the current frequency crossover.

I am a n00b so to my non-audiophile ears, there's absolutely no difference when i move it a couple of notches either way. I was trying to check out some other subs having such dials to check what they mean but was not able to google any sub having such a dial.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 PM

As to the frequency of the knob, it's a new knob to me.

What's the product name or manufacture's name of the product.

Have you acquired room measuring capability? Do you have a sound meter? If so, what happens to the SPL when you have a constant source signal being played through the subwoofer channel and you change the position of the knob?

...confused.gif
post #9 of 14 Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane View Post

It's looks like a bass boost/cut. Looks like it's -12db to +12db adjustment at an unspecificed frequency. No way to know unless your manual tells you what frequency range that changes. But most likely around 50-60hz if I had to guess.

That would be my guess too.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

I am sorry but I don't have a sound meter.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 06:40 AM

In life there are many things a male child must have at their desk. Among these items are, a set of little litty-bitty screw drivers, a full set of screw drivers, a set of small needle nose pliers (straight and hooked nose), small channel lock pliers, wire strippers, a small crescent wrench, digital mult-meter, a postal scale that can weigh little things and big plates of food, a quality 10X jeweler's loupe, a way cool compact LED flashlight with rechargeable batteries, a small folding pocket knife and a sound meter.

Now that one has these basics, they can do basic repairs at their desk and tell if their neighbor's television is up too loud. tongue.gif

My advice, if your finances will allow, stop and buy a sound meter. Depending on quality and features, one can buy a sound meter for between thirty and a hundred U.S. Dollars. I paid eighty dollars but in the U.S. one can buy at their local Radio Shack, a sound meter for $50.00.

I paid more because I wanted better but the Radio Shack model is the forum standard.

One can go cheaper but in doing so there are durability and accuracy issues as cheaper sound meter can and will go wonky fast, all the while giving the impression that they're working just fine. I post from personal experience as I tried out several brands of sound meters. I have an older digital sound meter and it's been surprisingly dependable but it doesn't measure low and for me that's a draw back as I find need to go <50dB in measurements as you'll find that once you have a sound meter you'll want to take measurements that are <40dB.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

In life there are many things a male child must have at their desk. Among these items are, a set of little litty-bitty screw drivers, a full set of screw drivers, a set of small needle nose pliers (straight and hooked nose), small channel lock pliers, wire strippers, a small crescent wrench, digital mult-meter, a postal scale that can weigh little things and big plates of food, a quality 10X jeweler's loupe, a way cool compact LED flashlight with rechargeable batteries, a small folding pocket knife and a sound meter.

Giving equal time, a number of parties of the female persuasion of my acquaintance including my wife have at least some of these things discretely tucked away in their desks at work. Many know how to use them!

I totally agree with your assertion that one should have the basic tools for whatever their profession or avocation demands. Usable SPL meters are now a dime a dozen. Audiophiles are well known for choking on test equipment expenditures that are less than a single piece of media.

I have a DVM that cost me less than $50 on fleabay that has a built in thermometer, SPL meter, and light meter.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Giving equal time, a number of parties of the female persuasion of my acquaintance including my wife have at least some of these things discretely tucked away in their desks at work. Many know how to use them!

My how people want to make a fight where there isn't discord. I'm not here to create a battle of the sexes and I don't do PC police work. I purposely addressed the male child and I'll let women address the female child. rolleyes.gif

(and let me add to the desk kit list, tweezers and a small, fine tooth metal file)

(an old man's opinion: At birth, everybody should have their tubes snipped and not be allowed to be reattached until they can prove they have enough brains to be able to responsibly procreate)

-
post #14 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Quote:
I have an older digital sound meter and it's been surprisingly dependable but it doesn't measure low and for me that's a draw back as I find need to go <50dB in measurements as you'll find that once you have a sound meter you'll want to take measurements that are <40dB.

That’s the same meter I have used over the years. Quick question out of curiosity Bee.. why the need or want to measure lower than 50dB?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page