Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
How does that psb 300 comoare to the svs pb1000?

Audition audition audition. Know it yourself. Auditioning doesn't cost a dime.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

May be you are right. But I trust my ears more. I am not nuts to throw away $1000 just like that after having spent nearly $1800 on DIY stuff. I actually had everything shipped all the way from US to Pakistan at double the price including dual drivers (HO 15), gorilla glue, spax screws, gls audio 12 awg cable, neutrik speakon connectors and panel mounts, iNuke 6000 DSP, neodymium magnets for front grille, rca-to-xlr cables, and what not.
Only the mdf was procured locally, that too was imported from Malaysia but it is locally available. So, there has got to be a big reason why I shifted the paradigm. And Daytons are not the only DIY subs I built.
What do you think of the noise level of the inuke amp? I've read that many people are mad about the loud noise of the amp.
post #33 of 41 Old 07-04-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

I dont get it...how could the psb take on thr svs ultra

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm just playing blue wink.gif The PB-1000 has a much lower tune and will play the lower freq where the PSB won't.

Heheh

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #34 of 41 Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What do you think of the noise level of the inuke amp? I've read that many people are mad about the loud noise of the amp.

The stock fans are absurdly loud, but u cannot blame behringer for using such loud fans. It is a PA amp used in concerts where SPL close to stage is in access of 115dB. So they are hardly heard in their actual use.

However, for home use people swap the stock fans with quieter fans. I also removed the stock fans and used Noctua 80mm fans. That's the first thing I did. Now it is super quiet, but I don't use iNuke and DIY subs anymore ever since I bought PSB S300 wink.gif

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #35 of 41 Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I have a hard time believing a 12" 300watt sub tuned to 27hz, is going come anywhere close to a pair of diy 15's properly setup...if that was the case everybody would be doing it? Am I missing something here?

That is a question that rests in many people's minds, including mine.

If its unconditionally true, it seems like a case of David knocking off Goliath.

The questions in my mind include:

(1) Correct implementation?

(2) Relevant equipment undamaged and in a good state of repair?

(3) Optimized implementation?

On balance the the Dayton 15" with a mere 12mm Xmax isn't actually Goliath. But, there were 2 of them. I don't think the Xmax of the PSB is known or knowable but it is probably not as great as 24 mm, and may be less than 12.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-469
post #36 of 41 Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Quote:

Quote:

The stock fans are absurdly loud, but u cannot blame behringer for using such loud fans.

Sure you can blame Behringer for loud fans, unless we hypothesize some conspiracy theory where a competitor is sneaking amps with loud fans into Behringer's distribution channel.
Quote:
It is a PA amp used in concerts where SPL close to stage is in access of 115dB. So they are hardly heard in their actual use.

That is one possible application of the amp, but not its only otherwise logical application. For example I use a Crown XTi 2000 and it has variable speed fans that are darn near silent unless you really push them such as using them to drive a shaker table.
post #37 of 41 Old 07-04-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like berry had you once too many times. I also have a crown xls 1000 and it is dead silent.

Moreover, dayton drivers may be good....but not for me. Check the boxes in my signature and you would how good they were built. I simply don't get it why you or anybody else complains about PSB not being able to rub shoulders with other ID or DIY big boys.

Audition it yourself.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #38 of 41 Old 07-04-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1373
Quote:

Sounds like berry had you once too many times. I also have a crown xls 1000 and it is dead silent.

Moreover, dayton drivers may be good....but not for me. Check the boxes in my signature and you would how good they were built. I simply don't get it why you or anybody else complains about PSB not being able to rub shoulders with other ID or DIY big boys.

Audition it yourself.

Its because the specs on the psb300 pretty much show there is no way...its tuned for 27hz and has a 10db roll off below 24hz. Now the research I did on it looks to be a solid sub for music and possibly movies if one is not looking for infrasonic bass. The smart limiter keeps it from overdriving and the driver appears to be fairly stout. Maybe that inuke amp is faulty or something because those 15's set up correctly should walk all over any single 12" commercial sub on the market let alone the PSB...something does not make sense.

Ok I just red thru your diy thread...I noticed the last measurement graphs you posted,especially the one taken from the 5" appears to show some heavy compression when doing a high spl sweep of 115db. from 40hz down to 16hz you lost 30db...this would be the exact reason the psb300 sounds better. Even tho the following mlp graph is flat to 14hz, at 80db there is no compression.

It would be nice to see a 115db sweep taken from the main lp because it looks to me those 15's are compressing bad at high spl...
post #39 of 41 Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Its because the specs on the psb300 pretty much show there is no way...its tuned for 27hz and has a 10db roll off below 24hz. Now the research I did on it looks to be a solid sub for music and possibly movies if one is not looking for infrasonic bass. The smart limiter keeps it from overdriving and the driver appears to be fairly stout. Maybe that inuke amp is faulty or something because those 15's set up correctly should walk all over any single 12" commercial sub on the market let alone the PSB...something does not make sense.

Ok I just red thru your diy thread...I noticed the last measurement graphs you posted,especially the one taken from the 5" appears to show some heavy compression when doing a high spl sweep of 115db. from 40hz down to 16hz you lost 30db...this would be the exact reason the psb300 sounds better. Even tho the following mlp graph is flat to 14hz, at 80db there is no compression.

It would be nice to see a 115db sweep taken from the main lp because it looks to me those 15's are compressing bad at high spl...

True, but that's a close mic FR. It does not factor in port contribution. Also, I have two iNuke 6000 DSP and they are properly gain matched. Um using one with Alpine DIY sub. I bought one of the iNukes myself last year when it was launched from DC. Both amps can't be faulty.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #40 of 41 Old 07-04-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1373
Quote:

True, but that's a close mic FR. It does not factor in port SPL contribution in the FR

Point remains...take a 115db sweep from the LP and post. Still should not be a 30db drop.
post #41 of 41 Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have measure 116dB at 17Hz with daytons from MLP. Compared with PSB, they are not even close in terms of clean output. I can't post those graphs coz of OS crash on my laptop and I lost data on the primary drive.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page