What would cause a sub to not work when the other speakers do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800 5.1 surround sound system.
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-Pro-Cinema-800/dp/B001JQZXCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372869681&sr=8-1&keywords=definitive+technology+procinema+800

The 5 satellite speakers are connected to the AVR (Onkyo Tx-nr616) with speaker wire and they work fine. The sub is connected to the AVR with this cable from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

The receiver will not detect the sub during initial setup. I set sub to "yes" manually, but there is still no sound coming from it from any source. I have the crossover set to 120 on the AVR, so I turned the sub's crossover all the way up. I do have the volume on the sub turned up. The cable is connected to the "LFE in" on the sub and the "pre out subwoofer"

Is the cable the wrong kind? Defective sub? This is my first home theater, I don't know what to try. I did try leaving the sub unplugged for a while and using a different outlet, but it's getting power just fine, the red light on the back of it comes on.

Help me, I crave the bass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250

Did you run Audyssey?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
right cable.

check and re-check connections... set the sub volume to 12 o'clock - crossover settings look correct.

If you have everything plugged in and turned on - if you remove the cable from the sub and touch the sides of the connector/plug, do you hear a loud buzz?

when you say 'initial set up' do you mean when you run Audyssey?

if you can't get it working call the Def Tech support guys - word is that they're extremely helpful.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Check the sub out location. If your AVR has multi channel inputs it's real easy to hook the sub into the wrong jack. Ask me how I know. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #5 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I did run Audyssey, but it did not detect the sub. I heard the same click sound from the AVR that I heard when it checked for rear surround speakers (I have 5.1 not 7.1).

Thanks for confirming the cable. I did mean running Audyssey when I said initial setup. I did it the advanced way to compensate for my specific room. That didn't detect the sub so I just set it myself to "yes" for sub. Still no sound. I ran Audssey again the quick way, but still no luck.
I turned everything on and had a Blu-ray playing, and pulled the LFE cable out of the sub. I touched the end of the cable to the sides of the LFE input on the sub. Is that what you meant? There was no buzzing at all, not when I plugged the cable back in to the sub either.

Here are the ends of the LFE cable. You'll just have to trust that I know where power cords go tongue.gif

post #6 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250

Try the high level inputs.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Sound like a sub cable problem or with the subwoofer output on the avr. Try a simple RCA jack to see if it is the cable. Use a red/white, it dose not have to be a subwoofer cable with all the shielding.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #8 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Sound like a sub cable problem or with the subwoofer output on the avr. Try a simple RCA jack to see if it is the cable. Use a red/white, it dose not have to be a subwoofer cable with all the shielding.

Agree'd, which fortunately also happens to be the easiest thing to test for.

Achievement Unlocked

post #9 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 245
1. Try the other sub output on the AVR.
2. From page 36 of the manual: "If the “Subwoofer” appears on the “Review Speaker
Configuration” screen as “No”, increase the subwoofer’s
volume to the half-way point, set it to its highest crossover
frequency, and then try running Audyssey 2EQ Room
Correction and Speaker Setup again. Note that if the
volume is set too high and the sound distorts, detection
issues may occur, so use an appropriate volume level. If the
subwoofer has a low-pass filter switch, set it to Off or
Direct. Refer to your subwoofer’s instruction manual for
details."
3. Take the sub to a friend's house and try it there!
Good luck.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #10 of 12 Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the red/white from a composite RCA cable, still did not work.

I tried the other sub output on the AVR with the LFE cable and the red/white cable. Initial setup still did not detect the sub, no noise can from it either time. I think the cable is ruled out.

So the sub or the AVR is the problem. I don't know anyone who has home theater equipment, so I don't know how to determine which is the problem. This is my first home theater, so I don't have a spare sub or AVR laying around. This sucks.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

What speakers are lit up on the front of your receiver display? Also, has the green light ever turned on on the back of your sub?

I'd try hooking up the other way to test like is says in the manual. Run speaker wire from the back of your mains to the hi level inputs on the sub. At least this way we can determine whether it's an AVR or sub problem.

Achievement Unlocked

post #12 of 12 Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I connected to sub with the high level inputs. I set my front speakers to "full range" on the AVR and set the sub's crossover to about 120. The sound passes right through the sub and the front speakers play, but still no bass. Time to call Def Tech about the sub I guess?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, red is the only color the LED on my sub knows. Also there is nothing on the receiver display about which speakers are being used, but all of the satellites are working. Never a peep from the sub though.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page