New Sony SA-WM40 Sub. Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Sony SA-WM40 that says 120w active powered subwoofer. I read so many reviews talking about how it really fills the room, and is often not turned up all the way because it is too loud and rattles windows. In fact, my parents have the same one and I can attest to that. But mine isn't bumping so hard.

At the moment I have no cable, no gaming system, no Blu-Ray player, only my HDTV. I have my laptop running into my tv through HDMI, and my tv running into my Yamaha-5730 receiver, and then of course my powered sub output from the receiver into the coax back of the sub. The volume is up all the way, restriction on the sub is turned all the way to the least restriction of frequency. Bass is up all the way on my receiver (+10db) and it does bump more as I increase gain, but nothing that rattles the windows or floor.

Is the poor bass reproduction because of my laptop? For example, if I were running a Blu-Ray player or cable, would the bass be much stronger? When I play a youtube test "song" where it goes through a series of frequencies, it does rattle the windows at some points, so I know the sub is capable. But when I play music with deep bass or movies with deep bass (think Jurassic Park t-rex), it's just some bass. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 572
To rule out a problem with the sub and the room:
- Try moving the sub to different locations in your room and see if you get better output.
- Try your sub in your parents' room and/or their sub in your room to see if they both behave the same way in each room.

Does your TV output 5.1 audio? Maybe it's downmixing to stereo audio. Try connecting your laptop directly to your A/V receiver (AVR) - and then connect the AVR to the TV - and make sure you're outputting 5.1 audio to your AVR.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the response!

Unfortunately I cannot try their sub on my receiver as I unfortunately (fortunately?) do not live with my parents. I'll have to try and play around with position in my living room.

Additionally, my receiver does not have HDMI ports to test this and I have no other cords, nor do I know what I need. I am a college student so most pieces in my system are just odds and ends that I could pick up used at a good price. My parents have the same sub, although theirs says 120w on the back (same model though) and mine says 90w. But the box and manual both say 120w amp for the sub (no clue why). My parents have a nicer Pioneer receiver though, so perhaps that's part of the difference.

Also I used the coax provided that has silver colored connections (maybe nickel?). Could it really make a difference if I tried the fancy gold-plated cables?
post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 PM

The 90 watt thing is normal, mine says the same thing.

Can you verify your speaker (large or small) and LFE (main, both, or subwoofer) settings?

It's definitely not the cables..
post #5 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have my front (and only) floor speakers set to small, and that seemed to help a bit. I have subwoofer set to "Yes" and LFE set to subwoofer. It was on the "both" setting for front and subwoofer but changing it to it's current setting (subwoofer only) didn't seem to help much.

Thanks for your help, Jimmy!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

SOLUTION: It was in fact the HDMI cable running through the tv then into the receiver. I got my hands on a 3.5mm jack to RCA and plugged the red and white into the DVD input (because it was the easiest to get to). Plugged the 3.5mm into the headphone jack of my laptop, and viola! Beautiful and powerful LFE coming out of my new sub. Thanks for your help everyone!

Post Script: The sound isn't as good as it was from the HDMI, but proper bass is worth it. I just have to increase the gain more than I normally would.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
SOLUTION: It was in fact the HDMI cable running through the tv then into the receiver.
Cool. Glad you resolved the issue. smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers